1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New OC'er with e6600 and evga 680i mobo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fohkus, 18 Dec 2006.

1. fohkus

fohkus What's a Dremel?

hey guys i just have a couple of questions.. im still pretty new to overclocking but its never too late to start right? I've tried reading different articles but its not as easy as just reading and learning so I decided to try it myself and see how things go. First off i have a e6600 cpu and evga 680i mobo. Im also running a pair of corsair xms2 ddr800 2gs running on 4 4 4 12 with 2.1 volts. Currently I have my processor running at 3.375ghz @ 375 bus speed. It seems pretty stable.. i was able to play cs and fear constantly without problems. I also ran orthos beta for over 10 hours without a hicup and temperatures do not exceed 50c on full load. My question is, ive been reading a lot about the 1:1 divider for cpu and memory and was wondering if someone can explain this concept to me? What are the benefits of running on 1:1? For me, I was only able to get 1:1 by lowering the memory speed from 400 to 375 so that it would be on ratios with the fsb which was at 1500. So does this mean that my memory is just running slower? Is that a good thing or a bad thing since its kept in a 1:1 ratio? Because the only way I can get my memory to run at 800mhz is if i raise my fsb to 1600 right? That'll be too much of a OC for my cpu. Any replies would be great thanks :)

Last edited: 18 Dec 2006
  2. trig

trig god's little mistake

i get a little confused about this myself, so ill be interested to see the replies. but one quick way to know if you are running 1:1 is to look at cpu-z...it will tell you.

3. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

You can run your memory at different ratios other than 1:1. For an Intel core 2 system, this won't affect performance that much (the platform doesn't give a damn about memory in general, not as much as the 939 did anyway). I'm running my memory at 800Mhz with a FSB of 1600. I Just dropped my multiplier down to 8 and upped the FSB to 400 (3.2Ghz is the limit I can get with a Scythe Ninja and a 1000rpm fan). To be honest I would run the memory at the lowest speed possible, overclock the FSB to as high as the CPU can handle, then and only then worry about the memory dividers.

4. fohkus

fohkus What's a Dremel?

thanks for the reply, i do have cpu-z and i do know that im running 1:1 but that can easily be figured out anyways since i knew my memory speed was in ratio with my fsb. Anyways i was just wondering if someone can tell me the benefits of having it in 1:1? I know it doesnt even come 1:1 in stock form. Another weird thing is i tried doing exactly what you mentioned.. i lowered the multiplier to 8x and changed the fsb to 1600 which should have given me a value of 3.2 However, when I boot up, the fsb automatically changes to some weird value and it ends up being close to 3.7ghz. It was like 8x468 or something instead of the 8x400 which it should have been. Anyone know why? I rechecked the bios settings and it says exactly 8x with a fsb of 1600. Is there an option that maybe i need to turn off thats making it change? It doesnt matter if i have the memory set to linked or unlinked, the fsb automatically changes. This only applies when i lower the multiplier to something other than 9 because when I change the fsb with 9x multiplier, the fsb value is always what i set it to be. However, when the multiplier is lowered, i'm unable to run at the setting that I WANT rather it runs at a setting that IT wants.

5. fohkus

fohkus What's a Dremel?

heres a pic of my temps and settings incase anyone is interested.. im pretty sure i can go higher but my load temps are pretty high already.. at least i was able to get a nice oc with the voltages pretty low..

[​IMG]