1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News New OcUK MD vows to address past service issues

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 8 Oct 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

Tescos? Asda?..... Aldi?

Luckily I haven't had to return anything from overclockers. I think I got my current graphics card and maybe a hard drive. They still work and were delivered in a timely fashion so I've have no complaints. But I do hear all the time about the shoddy aftersales... it does make me think twice and usually go with scan or somewhere if the price is the same.

3. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I've been fortunate enough never to have to experience OcUK's customer support... but yep, I've had horror stories from a few friends that use them.

Last edited: 8 Oct 2007
  4. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

I still haven't forgiven them for what they did to a friend of mine. They lost 1.5k of stuff, when he phoned them up, they basically said "bad luck mate" and hung up.

So, he took a trip up to their office, and suddenly they were very willing to settle the matter there and then.

Anyway, does this mean the infamous "Spie" has gone? I never once heard anything good about that bloke, there are rumors that he's a racist etc going round and all in all a pretty nasty bloke.

Edit: Bugger, he's now the chairman.

5. The Chugnut

The Chugnut What's a Dremel?

You can't polish a turd. They're not getting any more of my money.

Cowboys, plain and simple.

6. toric334

toric334 What's a Dremel?

Had to return a PSU after the advertised spec didn't match with what was sent. 5 minute call to customer service sorted it, returned it the next day and had the money back in my account in 3 days.

Only critisism would be the lack of cheaper postage options (a la eBuyer), but they've been nothing but excellent to me.

7. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

Blah blah blah blah, spin spin spin!

Crap upside-down is still crap, whichever way you want to look at it ;)

8. tzang

tzang Traditional Nutter

I've had over 6 years of good experience from OcUK (plus the hundreds of clients I've recommended) but recently (2 months ago) turned away from them after their first screw up, which took over a month to resolve and without a satisfactory result. Their technical support is very good (albeit the 0871 number) but they still lack the customer services.

Throw in overpriced hardware and delivery prices (which I use to be willing to pay for) and you start looking for competitors who can do better. They do have the advantage of having most of the top-of-the-range hardware instock but until they sort out their services, I definitely won't be looking to them again.

9. asteroth

asteroth What's a Dremel?

back in the day who remembers when Scan were known as Scam? Scan did a big turn around and I for one hardly shop elsewhere now. saying that, OCUK are going to have to be amazing before i would consider shopping there again.

10. Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner What's a Dremel?

You should have gone to www.saynoto0870.com

I haven't used overclockers in years, but never had a problem. I may have to use them in the future though as they sell stuff that you can't buy elsewhere (mainly fans and heatsinks). But generally I avoid them because of what others have said and the fact that most items can be found cheaper elsewhere.

You will always hear more people complaining about a company than praising them. I'm sure the vast majority of customers have never had a problem.

11. RTT

RTT #parp

never had a problem with them, but any improvements can only be a good thing :)

12. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Proudfoot....

AHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

and I'm done.

(sounds like a carebear)

Definitely done now.

Anyhoo, aside from funny names: I hope he kicks their phone people's arses and tells them not to be so damn rude! I'm the customer damnit! You have to listen to me before telling me I'm wrong! And in that case, be damn sure I'm not right first!

13. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

when my £450 monitor had 2 stuck adjacent pixels in the centre of the screen, they refused to take it back, even under the Distance Selling Act. They also sent me a faulty CPU, and charged me £20 when I sent it back stating it would not even reach POST. I sent it back again and got a new one, but refused to refund the cost and postage i had incurred. If i shop there, i make sure the item i'm buying is RMA'd to the manufacturer, not them.

(OT but thanks to Dave over at Dell for getting the monitor sorted quicky, but no thanks to Dell's main call centre)

14. Boon

Boon What's a Dremel?

After being somewhat a regular customer at OCUK a number of disastrous RMA experiences for myself and a friend a few years back means I pretty much swore of buying anything from them in the future. The now renowned poor customer experience coupled with the forum leak which seemed to further highlight the attitude of senior staff at OCUK has resulted in what I believe is a well deserved reputation.

I have now taken it on myself to steer all away from purchasing unless it is something which really can't be found elsewhere (they do seem to have some quite difficult to find stock). IIRC, as mentioned above, Mr Proudfoot seemed to be the worst of the bunch and with that character still as Chairman I can't see how they will change. Who actually owns the company?

15. Naberius

Naberius What's a Dremel?

Can't say i have ever experienced any problems with them and would use them in the future, although they do seem a bit more pricey at times.

And if i'm honest i have experienced far more problems with Scan (Scam still in my eyes), these days they cannot even seem to be able to arrange next day delivery because it takes them a day to sort themselves out. The only problem with Scan is that they have positioned themselves so well in the market that it is difficult to get around using them, their prices and stock options are very competitive.

16. mp3manager

mp3manager What's a Dremel?

I've ordered a few things over the years and have had no problems but my last order was in 2005 and it was the last. I don't like the way Proudfoot handles things, his attitude stinks and he won't get anymore of my money.

If this new guy wants to turn things around, there is only one course of action.

Looks like one too imo....love the flight attendant orange tan. lol

http://www.zen19691.zen.co.uk/spie.jpg

Last edited: 9 Oct 2007
  17. Seraphim Works

Seraphim Works What's a Dremel?

Arg, Overclockers....
    Once again, I'm in the process of ANOTHER rma for the Geil ram I ordered from them. I can't stand the company anymore to be honest, for anything new, I go elsewhere. Without a doubt.

Even poking with a stick is getting too close to the shoddy attitude they have

18. RTT

RTT #parp

If that wasn't a rhetorical question, proudfoot is the sole share-holder

19. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I've not had any bad experiences with OcUK, but then I've not had to RMA anything with them. I used to shop at eBuyer, but after they started messing up orders (one after the other) and having to wait a month before anyone would respond to an 'e-note' I gave up on them. I've had problems with Microdirect in the past as well.

From what people are saying, it'll be quicker and easier to build a machine 'in' PCWorld. Just pop the boxes and build on the floor, at least you'll know instantly if the hardware is broken.

20. Darth Joules

Darth Joules Minimodder

OcUK have joined eBuyer on my list on "no-go" areas for hardware shopping. 3 years ago I didn't have any problems OcUK and RMAs to them, but this year has been awful. RMA service is poor/non-exsistant and I don't trust their stock inventory. When you order a Hitachi 320GB 16MB cache hard drive that's what you should get.....not the 8MB cache version which they don't even sell. They've gone to the dogs!

eBuyer are still the worst IMHO, I actually had the threaten them with court action over a refund before anything happend.

Tags: Add Tags