1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Orleans is gonna get wet (again)

Discussion in 'Serious' started by <A88>, 31 Aug 2008.

1. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7590332.stm
    He's certainly not sparing any sympathy for those stupid enough to stick it through this one- not that they'll probably be alive for it to matter anyway.

2. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

3. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

i just hope they don't try to rebuild again.. just let nature have its flood plain back again..

4. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

copypasted from reddit:
    about sums up my feelings.

5. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

6. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

QFT

The whole city just needs to relocate.... The area sucks for natural disasters.

7. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

I have little sympathy for people who live somewhere hot and sunny and then suffer a natural disaster, considering here the last warm and sunny day I can remember was in May, possibly April.

[/bitter]

8. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

At least on this occasion there seems to be more of a coordinated effort to evacuate.

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

10. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

If only this were a year later, we might get to see Eminem say "Barack Obama doesn't care about white people".

:worried:

I've already got my coat...

11. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

just bloody relocate!!

12. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Move to Alaska, there's no real natural disasters up there but the occasional earth quake and forest fire.

13. adam197

adam197 What's a Dremel?

That's the most ridiculous thing I've read for quite some time. :sigh:

14. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

I was down there 6 months ago with a group of photographers, documenting relief efforts and we're going back at the end of September. We'll see if we can even move around down there. Might be that it'll be too flooded, still. Personally, I think if they were more prepared, I'd have more faith in them, but to be perfectly honest, I don't think they're ready for another storm like this.

15. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

16. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Serves them right for building a coast-line city below sea level, tbh. I don't want to see people hurt, but what else can you expect when you've apparently got the dumbest civil engineers on the face of the earth?

17. EmJay

EmJay What's a Dremel?

Oh boy. I did some relief work in New Orleans about nine months after Katrina, they were barely patching themselves together. There were serious discussions of not rebuilding some of the most damaged (and poorest) areas. But they were basically trying to rebuild the city as it was. If it floods again, I doubt that'll happen. The tourist areas are the oldest parts (and therefore the only parts above water level), so Mardi Gras and Bourbon Street will survive, but the rest of the city? I doubt it. We'll see.

Funny story: I went with a Salvation Army group from my college to do some volunteer work during February break. On our first night there, our fearless leader decided to take a drive and see the city. He looked at a map, but didn't take it with him. The long-term volunteers told him the major road names to look for and 'just don't turn onto Bourbon Street'. (The Salvation Army is notoriously against alcohol. They do not drink a drop.) So we all piled into the sixteen passenger van we'd borrowed from the local base, and took off. Sure enough, we ended up in the seedier part of the French Quarter. Our leader made a turn to try and get out of it, and suddenly every building on the street was either a bar or a strip club. Yup, we drove down Bourbon Street. In a huge van with the Salvation Army logo emblazoned on the side. I think we convinced a few people that they'd really had enough to drink for the night, as they MUST be hallucinating...

18. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Last edited: 31 Aug 2008
  19. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

With a god like that, who needs Satan?
    With a president like that, who needs a god?

Last edited: 31 Aug 2008
  20. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

We're stocking up on gas/food/etc here, as we've seen the city triple in size from the refugees.

Bear in mind though I am inland, we will get a HELL of a beating if it's a Cat5.