1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Orleans = Screwed

Discussion in 'Serious' started by RotoSequence, 28 Aug 2005.

1. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Thank god there's some good news. I'm hearing now on the radio that the water is beginning to recede at a rate of approx 1/2" per hour. Unfortunetely, just got this as an email alert from CNN: "New Orleans mayor says Katrina killed hundreds -- maybe thousands -- of people in city, Associated Press reports".

- Bush has declared a public health emergency for the entire Gulf Coast region as the flood waters contain everything from gas to dead bodies to all the raw sewage in the city. Remember, the people in New Orleans bury their dead above the ground, so there are also coffins floating around too. Health officials are fearing widespread outbreaks of cholera & thyphoid

- The military has been deployed with Navy supply and hospital ships going to the region

- An additional 10,000 National Guard Personel have been activated and are to be deployed to region

- As of this afternoon every state in the union has activated reservists to help out

Last edited: 31 Aug 2005
  2. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Just watched news reports on how they are planning to put the city back together, they say it could take 3 years before there is even a structure there for the city to run again, including putting back power and water.

I'm just thinking though, wouldn't it be better to rebuild the city elsewhere? It would be cheaper and quicker because getting rid of the water and clearing the debries would take months and cost a lot more.

I really hope that deaths are limited and everyone is ok, the scale of the damage is worse than I had imagined.

3. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

I've been watching a live feed. It seems that the engineers are having troubles dropping the sandbags because of loose barges, boats, debris, etc. They are actually considering using one of the barges to block up the 500-foot hole in the floodwall.

15,000-20,000 refugees are using the Superdome as a shelter, however they have no power and are having troubles getting food and water. They are now planning to move all the refugees to the Houston Astrodome 200 miles away in buses. They have also considred moving refugees to cruise ships.

The Bush administration has decided to release federal cruel oil reserves to relieve oil refineries whose supplies have been cut off.

Mayor Nagin has said about deaths: "Minimum, hundreds. Most likely, thousands."

:(

4. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

An elderly couple drove their car into an alligator farm and became partially submerged. A man with a large pick-up found them in shock. There several gators gathered around the car. He said that he waded out to the car and rescued each by pulling them through the windows. Then, he carried them to his truck.

Somehow, walking in waist deep water, swarming with gators, sounds like a little more than I would ever try to do.

:jawdrop:

5. Stuntman

Stuntman Minimodder

^^^ People are amazing in the fact that they will do stuff like that to save other people. If you guys see any information about how my grandparents might be able to drive out of New Orleans, please post it... I havent found any info on which roads are still open. :(

6. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Is the water all sea water? If so there is gonna be tons of salt all over the place when it's all dried up, not exactly good for vegetation and materials isn't it?!?

7. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

@ willywonka where its already drained theres a thick layer of mud/silt.

This might seem pretty twisted, but I think it would be good fun to take a stand-up jetski/airboat/hovercraft into the flooded parts of the city.

"the patience, unlike the water, is in very short supply here" (quote from live newsfeed after it showed a bunch of people who stole a postal van)

8. quack

quack Minimodder

It's not all sea water, although it is salty. Lake Pontchartrain is a brackish-water lake.

9. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

FEMA has a page to donate money for relief here, for all those concerned. My uncle might be called in to fly some supplies down there. All the sudden very happy I live in Minnesota.

10. Stuntman

Stuntman Minimodder

Apparently my grandparents made it out of the city all in once piece... :D They are supposedly showing up tommorow while Im at school, so I'll have a nice surprise when I get home.

11. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Glad to hear it, Stuntman :)

12. quack

quack Minimodder

6:17 A.M. - (AP) - Responding to reports of widespread looting, the president says there should be "zero-tolerance" for lawbreakers during the disaster. Bush says he's told law officials to move against anyone who engages in looting, price-gouging, insurance fraud or any other crime to take advantage of the situation.

Martial law was declared late last night.

13. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

I believe that was in direct response to some morons shooting at military rescue helicopters. In fact, they called the resue effort off for a period of time last night because of the violence and danger to rescue personel.

Here's something that may help put things in perspective. They are satellite images before and after Katrina:

New Orleans:
    [​IMG]

Incredible video (requires MS IE6)

Last edited: 1 Sep 2005
  14. quack

quack Minimodder

According to the Wikipedia, Martial law can't actually be declared in Louisiana as no such term exists in state law. I guess it's just been declared in name more than anything.

Reports of shots being fired at a chinook helicopter haven't been confirmed by the FAA.

A couple of "renegade" buses have arrived at the Astrodome, not coming from the Superdome.

15. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

This whole situation is a farce. After Hurricane Ivan missed New Orleans last year a study was conducted that said if the hurricane had hit what the results would be and the study has been 100% correct down to the correct depth of water. There was obviously no cohrent plan for evacuating the people too poor or ill to evactuate themselves or what to do in the case of flooding.

The use of the Super dome was the logical thing to do but it was never equippet to house 20,000 people for multiple days. The situation has been totaly missmanaged and I wont even start on how this has shown the poor oil infrastructure in the US.

THe predictions say it will take 9 weeks to pump the city dry. Given that 80% of the city is flooded and houses in america are not brick construction but mainly wooden frames a good 80-90% of those houses will be a right off. Assuming that the houses are evenly distributed you are looking at two thirds of the city being a TOTAL write off. It would probably be cost effective to move the city as to repair the roads, sewers and other infrastructure not counting demolishing clearing and then rebuilding would execde the cost of just moving the city to somewhere more sensible.

16. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

(From Foxnews)
    One ambulance official overseeing the airlift rescue operations said a gunshot was fired at a military helicopter over the Superdome before daybreak.

"We have suspended operations until they gain control of the Superdome," said Richard Zeuschlag, head of Acadian Ambulance, which was handling the evacuation of sick and injured people from the Superdome.

Zeuschlag said the National Guard told him that it was sending 100 military police officers to gain control. "That's not enough," he said. "We need a thousand."

He also said that during the night, when a medical evacuation helicopter tried to land at a hospital in the outlying town of Kenner, the pilot reported that 100 people were on the landing pad, and some of them had guns.

Maybe not FAA confirmation, but seems likely it happened. :\

EDIT::
    Breaking news from CNN (2:45est)
    New Orleans hospital halts patient evacuations after coming under sniper fire, a doctor who witnessed the incident says. More soon.

What the hell is wrong with people?

Last edited: 1 Sep 2005
  17. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Shots fired at the rescuers, just incomprehensible.

18. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

More on this from cnn:

"Hospitals are trying to evacuate," said Coast Guard Lt. Cmdr. Cheri Ben-Iesan, spokesman at the city emergency operations center. "At every one of them, there are reports that as the helicopters come in people are shooting at them. There are people just taking pot shots at police and at helicopters, telling them, 'You better come get my family."'

Richard Zuschlag, president of Acadian Ambulance Service Inc., described the chaos at a suburban hospital.

"We tried to airlift supplies into Kenner Memorial Hospital late last evening and were confronted by an unruly crowd with guns, and the pilots refused to land," he said.

"My medics were crying, screaming for help. When we tried to land at Kenner, my pilots got scared because 100 people were on the helipad and some of them had guns. He was frightened and would not land."

19. Stuntman

Stuntman Minimodder

Bah... the governement needs to send in the military or something... I'd like to see this bunch of gun weilding idiots confront a few tanks.

20. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I think maybe that's abit...not smart.

The people who are shooting are a tiny minority. You send the military in you have people feeling under attack from the weather and from the government. From the news footage I've seen, people are already extremely pissed off with the government for not providing food and water.