1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks New PCIe network card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Eddieboi, 8 Jul 2016.

1. Eddieboi

Eddieboi What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

So i recently built a new PC:

i5 4690k
    MSI Gaming 5 Mobo
    MSI Geforce Gtx 970 Froz
    Corsair DDR Vengeance 1600
    Samsung SSD 850 Evo 500gb
    Samsung SSD 840 Pro 240gb
    Seagate 2tb HDD.

After some research I have found that the ethernet port on the MSI Gaming 5 mobo is slow...my download speeds have decreased a lot to only a few mb which is unsual for me for downloading stuff on Origin and Steam.

I found that apparently I can get round this by buying PCIe Network card but I am not sure what one to get or whether its worth spending more on one or any descent one will do to resolve my low mb download speeds.

2. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

It shouldn't be slow. If you run ookla speed test, what result do you get (and what is your broadband rated at ) ?

3. Eddieboi

Eddieboi What's a Dremel?

Odd.

I get like 25-35mb download speed depending on time of day. I have the bt infinity 1 package.

I find it odd how origin only gives me like 2-3mb download speed for when I'm downloading games to install and it wasn't like that before I built the new pc

4. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Nothing running in the background, like cloud sync-ing or anything ? Haven't got Steam open too and it's auto downloading ?

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Unless your internal NIC is running at 10M, it shouldn't be the limiting factor. According to MSI, it's a gigabit card, so it shouldn't be a bottleneck for your Internet connection, even at Infinity speeds.

Check the adapter properties and check that it's running at 1000Mbps. It's a Killer based adapter, so make sure you're running the most up-to-date drivers. If you've got the Killer suite installed, trying disabling it or uninstalling and using just the driver package.

6. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Are Win10 P2P updates a possibility?