1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other New Phone Please

Discussion in 'General' started by Guest-23315, 1 Oct 2009.

1. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Okay... My I've finally had enough of my Sony Ericsson T303, particularly becuase Its horribly slow, and I could really do with e-mail on my phone..

So, I'm ideally after something rather small, but at the same time, I have massive hands and fingers, so it can't be tiny...

I need built in e-mail, and decent internet, as I'm gonna be internetless for a while soon...

Oh, and if possible, no iPhones. I hate apple products with every bone in my body...

I'm alos probably going to need a new contract, as at the moment, I'm on a standing 1 month O2 Jobbie, thats about £10-20 a month...

Any ideas?

:thumb:

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Uhm... iPhone? I know you don't like Apple products, but it really is win. I have no love for the spawn of Jobs, but they're exactly what you're after.

3. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Blackberry?

HTC?

I think I'm going to get either of those when I have to renew my contract in Feb.

4. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

as a veteran of HCI design and UI stuffs, i would say go with the iphone. It's the least frustrating phone i've ever used. Hardware wise, however, i am TOTALLY geeking out over the new HTC HD2.

5. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

personally i love my HTC Magic running the HERO rom. (default rogers UI is ugly)

6. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Im currently using a Blackberry Storm. Ticks all the boxes you need.

7. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

iPhone, or Android based seems good atm. Friends got both and it's seems really good stuff. The iPhone is getting really refined now, and with O2 losing exclusivity, you ain't got any excuses now :p

Forget about Winmo though. Currently using a 1G Samsung Omnia running Winmo 6.1 and even though the handset is pretty powerful, the platform just feels sluggish. It takes ages to load anything useful - half the time I boot up the camera it's too late or something.

8. damienVC

damienVC What's a Dremel?

Just got a W995. Dogs bits mate. Cracking bit of kit - all the current bells and whistles, looks luverly and just the right size. Go for the brushed aluminium version, got it on O2 for £25 a month. It's replaced my iTouch and Sat Nav in a oner. Can't reccomend it enough.

9. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

HTC touch pro 2.
    I just got one because my old touch pro.... suffered an accident....
    There are already lots of ways to customize it. I love mine.
    And the keys are spaced apart for your fat fingers.

10. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I very recently got an iphone upgrade. I thought, "Why not? There's savvy people on bit-tech who praise them." It really is a nice phone, with caveats. The battery life is poor. The GPS could be better. You could fit more than 11 app screens on there. Video recording as standard wouldn't have involved Einstein. Bluetooth is as much use a chocolate teapot, at least let me bluetooth a photo to another phone!

I must admit, I did umm and ahh a little bit about returning it within the 'do you/don't you' period but it had a little more going for it than previous phones, mostly due to it being easier to operate.

You could probably unlock a fair few things the iphone can be made possible to do by jailbreaking it, though.

11. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

There are some good WM6.5 phones coming out and loads of apps for them, they are great all rounders and I thoroughly recommend HTC. The HTC Hero is very good and runs Android (although it has problems with video).
    Personally I love my Xperia X1 and the new one looks very nice! (I also have an old HTC Artemis which fetches my yahoo webmail very quickly and can browse the web somewhat).
    One problem: You can't buy stuff on all websites just some because the browsers often don't support the checkout systems. Amazon/Play work for me on Opera Mobile 9.7 but Sage does not.

12. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Hmmm I'm quite close to getting one, never really thought about battery life but now it makes sense. If you've now got 1 device instead of 3 and you're now using that single device 3 times longer than any other, battery life better be good. Hmmm.

13. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

Android Cheesecake. I've had my G1 since the beginning of the year and while it's fairly ugly, quite chunky and has an absolutely terrible camera it hasn't failed on me once. If an application hangs you instantly get the option to wait for it to respond (which it does most of the time) or close it.

14. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

I really like my Nokia E71 (and I think the E72 is out in Europe), although the qwerty keyboard may be a bit small if you have really large hands. One of the thinnest phones out there, support for editing/viewing office docs, camera and video, email built-in and a variety of 3rd party solutions, great call quality and speaker phone, wifi, AGPS, and flash support. Oh and it has multitasking (support for many apps to run at the same time and can easily switch between them).

Last edited: 1 Oct 2009
  15. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I had an E71 and thought it was alright until I got a BB Curve 8310.

+1 anything Blackberry

16. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

I'd like to try a blackberry out since I hear how great the software is but they're all so thick. I carry my phone in my front pocket and anything over 11-12mm is too bulky.

17. wst

wst Minimodder

Either a G1 or a Blackberry Bold 9000. Ideally the G1 (or a later Android phone. I really don't know what the latest and greatest Android is...), because I think it has a higher spec than the Bold. Also, the battery life on the Bold is atrocious.
    If you can cope with EDGE at fastest (good luck getting that in a town, I seem to only get EDGE in the countryside... and ofc, it has wifi), try a Blackberry Curve 8900. They really are sleek and the keys aren't as bad as their small size suggests, they have a good gap between them, and I can almost 'touchtype' on mine. Also, you get to laugh at Bold owners, because the battery lasts twice as long :D

EDIT: @glaeken. My Curve 8900 is *gets ruler* ~12mm thick.

18. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Any HTC phone with a keyboard -the Diamonds would do and are more pocket friendly but they don't have "proper" keyboards. The compact qwerty is good as far as touchscreens go but its not the same. Personally I love my Diamond though :)

If you are after a contract, the £20 O2 simplicity can come with unlimited internet.

19. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

My oldest son has the Blackberry Storm, Ryan has a curve, and Marilyn now has a Pearl pink Balckberry. They like them a lot.

20. Prestidigitweeze

Prestidigitweeze "Oblivion ha-ha" to you, too.

I, too, am in the market for a new phone and have certain of the OP's same requirements. Additionally, I know less about cell phones than the cuisine of Upper Volta.

Apart from the complaint of slowness (which would only apply to the iPhone if he were talking about reliable connections and not the processor), the OP mentioned he wanted to do a lot of texting. The one thing that put me off about the iPhone was the seemingly laborious text entry.

The few times I've tried out the iPhone, I disliked the virtual keyboard and wished the device were a clamshell with a touchscreen (now there's an image of an abnormal animal). Others, too, have complained about this -- I recall reading articles about it on Cnet and elsewhere. The problem would be partly solved if the iPhone were able to accept a third party keyboard. Unfortunately, either no one's making one, or a bluetooth keyboard is not an option.

There exists an entire genre of Japanese novels that are written on cell phones. Unfortunately, I doubt I could enter enough text on the iPhone to finish an inscription for a muskrat's tombstone.

Which is depressing, because I love the iPhone otherwise. The sound quality is perhaps lacking, but audiophiles may remedy that (at home) with a Wadia 170i.

jhanlon303: Here's my personal problem with the Blackberry: I want my data on my phone and computer rather than a server. I also want to store it in notes as opposed to email drafts, though I'd imagine the blackberry has a decent note appletizer (crunch, crunch).

Last edited: 2 Oct 2009