1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Pope Elected

Discussion in 'Serious' started by GreatOldOne, 19 Apr 2005.

1. jc.com

jc.com What's a Dremel?

By definition, faith bypasses most of the brain. It only uses a bit to decide whether or not to have faith, once that's done........

One thing that does puzzle me is why catholics are so observant of the no condom rule, but seem to be able to take or leave the no fornication rule.

2. ColD_FusSioN

ColD_FusSioN What's a Dremel?

Mass Manipulation!!! :eeek:

3. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Simple. A large and growing number of Catholics are also leaving the no condom rule. As I've said a few times before in similar threads, Catholics are not obligated to agree with everything the Pope says.

This is one of the reasons so many Catholics were hoping that a new Pope would bring with him some changes to the Catholic way of life. Strict adherance to the no condom rule doesn't make much sense in today's society, as not that many people can care for a houseful of children (physically or financially). Unfortunately the new Pope appears to be very conservative, so only time will tell.

In the meantime, the rest of us will continue to disagree with the Pope and keep living our lives in the way that we feel is right.

-monkey

4. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

It's interesting how the bible doesn't change it's stand yet many religions feel it's necessary to enforce it's own unbiblical traditions. Then people get mad and then they change them with the times. Yet the bible doesn't sway or change. Just man's interpretation...

5. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

An honest question here: What do you consider to be the one accurate Bible?

If I understand correctly, the Bible has changed many times over the last several thousand years; books have been added to and taken away. And the stories that eventually made their way into the Bible were rarely, if ever, first-hand accounts of the events within. From what I recall, a lot of the Bible was written longer after the fact, which brings up the question. Over that period of time between event and written word, could details of the event have changed as the stories were passed down through subsequent generations (much like the old "telephone game").

Could the Bible, in essence, have been changing before it was ever committed to paper?

Of course, all the focus on who has the correct version takes away from the fact that they all essentially believe the same thing. A line from one of my favorite songs sums it up great for me:

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Very likely. Moreover given that it has been copied, translated, edited, and "reformated" umpteen times by whichever religious powers felt that they had the authority to do so, it will have evolved a lot since.

The Bible's stance is that of its writers/editors. Unless they bring out a new edition it is not likely to change its stance! However, as with any book, everyone venture their own opinion of what the writer really meant. Generally those opinions are projections of ones own beliefs, feelings, expectations, needs. So what the Bible "means" to people is different for different people, and a pretty dynamic process over time.

To some extent, the Bible deals with the meaning of life and the human condition. Those questions will basically always remain the same, as long as people remain people. The Bible is also a historical account however, and occasionally speculates on the physical world (e.g. Creation). As time goes by and knowledge, culture(s) and history of the world evolves, we interpret those events differently.

7. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

As long as individual(s) who wrote bible do not start programming for microsoft I am happy => :)

Last edited: 28 Apr 2005
  8. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

"and in the hour of eleven, all will be dead"
    Is the initial version that i've heard.

The full version actually reads
    "In the hour of eleven, all will be dead. Here again the king will rise. All will be brought back to be by his side; and those who reject him will be destroyed. His reign will again come, and to etenity this time forth it lasts. All who stand by him will be saved and prosper. All who oppose will be killed. Such will be the time of the dragon again."

I wouldnt quite worry about our current pope. If anything, he might cause the church to see it's flaws rather than accenuate them.