1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New rig (£800) - suggestions needed!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kaz1989, 4 Mar 2011.

1. kaz1989

kaz1989 New Member

Hi everyone,

I know you guys get this asked a lot, but I need your suggestions for my rig as this is my first build! I have pretty much made my build, but would just like some feedback/it checked over before I buy it next week!

Budget: £780-£830
    Main uses of intended build: Gaming, some AutoCAD and 3D StudioMax rendering for my Civil Engineering course, and general internet browsing and watching films.
    Parts required: Base only.
    Monitor resolution: Will be gaming on a 1680 x 1050, but might increase my monitor size later this year.
    Storage requirements: Greater than 250Gb would be nice.
    Will you be overclocking: Yes, but the first time :geek:
    Any motherboard requirements: Must be Revision 3!

[​IMG]

The above amounts to £800 after free delivery :thumb:

Do you guys think I should spend extra for an SSD for a boot drive, are they worth it?

Thanks.

2. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

Looks pretty good. You could save £12 and go for the Antec True Power 650w psu only £59.99 on today only and maybe up the cooler to the Gelid Tranquillo around £26. Cools my 2600k @4.5ghz in the same mobo, all be it the 1st revision to 68c and is pretty quiet.

3. james-milligan

james-milligan Member

That looks like a pretty good build to me! I agree with changing the cooler to the gelid tranquillo though. Are all the rev-3 boards in stock already? 0.o

4. Dae314

Dae314 New Member

You're not going to be doing that heavy gaming so you really don't need an 850W power supply (those are usually for dual graphics). I would follow the above and get an Antec True Power New TP-650 as it's a really good value modular power supply. I disagree with the other two though on the Gelid Tranquillo as the Freezer 7 Pro will do you just fine--SB doesn't generate that much heat when overclocked.

Another thing is that you probably don't need a 560. From the looks of your uses gaming is a side activity while most of the usage is going to be rendering and general purpose work. I would go for a 1GB 460 and overclock it, then with the extra money get a 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 which is supposed to be a very fast drive. Plus the extra space wouldn't hurt you.

5. mucgoo

mucgoo Well-Known Member

6. r3loaded

r3loaded Well-Known Member

I recommend the Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 600W for the PSU (as used in my rig). More efficient than the TP-650 and only around £4 more on Today Only. ;)

7. kaz1989

kaz1989 New Member

Thanks for your replies! Sorry Dae314, I must have been misleading in my post, I actually do a fair bit of gaming and only render time to time when my course requires it - thus the need for a 560ti :D .

The only reason I opted for a 850W supply was the possibility of going SLi in the future, as 560ti's scale really well. Do you think that I should stick with this and get two 560's (next one in a few months), or get a 650W supply and stick to single cards (i.e replace my 560ti in 2 years ish? I'm just trying to make my system future proof, as my current rig is not at all lol.

Thanks for the F3 suggestion, defo picking one up! :clap:

8. shau

shau New Member

you have a sick computer there , so sick for gaming, if you are really going to use it for heavy gaming(it is surely capable) u should not get that 560, get the gigabyte 560 overclocked to 1000ghz, i think gigabyte are comin up with a new revision of that card so wait a little while and get that.. But its going to be about 230 i think. But its performance is near the 570.

9. derpooch

derpooch New Member

1000 Ghz? Christ that is one hell of an overclock!

10. shau

shau New Member

LOL sorry i meant 1000mhz :p I wish it was GHZ

11. markbrett64

markbrett64 thanks to denial I am now immortal

Make sure whichever CPU cooler you choose doesn't clash with the height of your RAM, you'd not notice the difference if you just went for standard height Corsair XMS3.

12. Bartaggio

Bartaggio Member

if you use AutoCAD/3DS Max alot or if you would continue doing it after your course, I would think of getting some more RAM. It's not that expensive and 4GB isn't exactly much for using those programs.

13. Dae314

Dae314 New Member

Seconded!

If you cut to a 460 you can get 8GB of memory.

14. JohnSheridan

JohnSheridan New Member

Hard drive is small

PSU seems overkill for that system

15. james-milligan

james-milligan Member

Hi, I'm looking at a similar build for myself and might step up to 8GB of RAM but I'm not sure what to get. Should i get 2x4GB of corsair vengeance? or 4x2GB of corsair XMS3 classic? What RAM would you guys recommend for a sandybridge build if I am looking for 8GB of it?

16. r3loaded

r3loaded Well-Known Member

Definitely go for 2x 4GB of RAM, it'll leave you with room for an upgrade. XMS3 Classic and Vengeance are largely the same functionality-wise - I got the Vengeance because it was cheaper on a Scan Today Only sale.

17. asteldian

asteldian Member

2 x 4gb RAM is a good idea.
    As for cooler, I would not go with the Freezer 7 Pro if planning on OCing. If money is tight then the Hyper212+ is a good choice at £18 (though often on th Today only deal at £16). The Hper should get you to 4.5ghz easily enough. If going much beyond that you would be needing a notably more expensive cooler anyway.

650W will cope with 560 SLI just about, you certainly won't need more than 750W

18. kaz1989

kaz1989 New Member

Thanks for your suggestions. I decided against the SLi setup as I think a single 560ti has enough life in it for a good 2 years so just getting a non-SLi motherboard, and reducing the PSU to 600W. It also looks like I need to get a monitor now too. I have a budget of £100-£135 for the monitor, does anyone have any suggestions?

I like the looks of this BenQ: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/215-...led-monitor-1920x1080-5ms-250cd-m-10001-black

I will post my new build later on tonight.

In terms of motherboard, as I am no longer looking at getting an SLi board, I won't need the P8P67-PRO. But there are so many variations of the P8P67 (which don't support SLi), i.e. there is P8P67-M, P8P67-LE, P8P67-M PRO and the standard P8P67. Any help as to which to use? Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator: 8 Mar 2011
  19. kaz1989

kaz1989 New Member

Decided on the P8P67. New build:

[​IMG]

Ain't VAT a killer. I'm hoping for to knock off £10-£15 using SCAN's daily deals so just keeping my eyes out atm.

I'm a tad confused what cable I need to get to connect my 560ti and my monitor. Is it a standard DVI cable?

Last edited: 9 Mar 2011