1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks New router hates my computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by EvilMerc, 19 Sep 2010.

1. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Up until yesterday I hated the BTHomeHub, now I have grudging respect for it; at least it worked.

We switched to Orange Internet this week as my dad was fed up with the ever increasing phone call rates BT were charging and as a result we had a shiny new Netgear N150 router come through the post. Now, before this we were using a BTHomeHub and that stopped working when the BT line went dead so the Netgear was plugged in whilst I was out at work.

I came home and got rather excited at the prospect of having a new router and potentially a faster connection to use. Within five minutes my hopes were crushed.

Booted up my computer and stuck in the WEP key, it connected without a hitch. Opened Chrome and I came across the most unstable connection ever. I opened Steam and started a download to check how bad it was and it would go along quite happily for a minute or two; then stop dead. Then every minute or so it'd crawl along at 20Kb/s or so then die again.

I then tried my laptop; no issues at all.

I tried my netbook; no issues at all.

I tried my phone; no issues at all.

My brother's Xbox 360 is fine.

My parents' computer is fine (wired)

I've tried new drivers, rebooting the router and my PC and re-plugging in my wireless adaptor.

So, can anyone suggest what I can do to find out what's wrong with my connection?

(I am talking about the rig in my sig and it has an Edimax 802.11G USB wireless adaptor (will try to find the model number) which has had no trouble connecting to three other routers when I've had my PC elsewhere.)

2. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

I have the same problem with my laptop. I have an N router and everything is either hard-wired or running on N, except my laptop. It connects and has around 87% signal quality, but once you go on the internet, it's awful. I suspect it has something to do with N not agreeing with A/B/G. It might be worth a try to disable N on the router and only run A/B/G to see if that helps any.

3. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

I couldn't see a way to do that, shall look again.

Only my laptop has N, the netbook, phone and 360 are on G.

4. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I'm so glad I read this, at least I'm not the only one struggling. Try this, download some thing like net stumbler and scan the area to see who's on what channel, then set the router to one that no ones using, you'll get a much cleaner signal.

EvilMerc likes this.
  5. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

have you checked the edimax website for updated drivers for your adaptor?

as padrejones has suggested, try turning n off within the router.

if that doesnt fix it, its probably a compatibility problem, it does happen, or maybe you need to adjust the mtu.

check your routers mtu, and copy the number down.

open cmd prompt ant type netsh interface ipv4 show subinterfaces
    this will give you the current settings for your mtu etc.

to do the next bit, you need to run cmd promt as administrator

netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Network Connection" mtu=xxxx store=persistent

where xxxx is the value you want to set mtu to and "network connection " is the name of your network connection

6. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Yeah, I updated the drivers already and it did nothing. Updating the router's firmware did nothing as it already was.

I couldn't get net stumbler to work, but the channel switching thing was a good idea. I just bunged it on channel 1. At this time my parents' computer was just switched on when I locked the channel and now it seems to be fine. So either it's the channel (more likely) or just having a computer that's wired to it being switched on. That said, it's not on now and it's working fine...

Thanks for all the ideas guys!

7. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

You might also try forcing your n adapter on the laptop to use G rather than N and see how it holds up. Sounds like there might be some interference near your house on the N range of frequency.