1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks New Router

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by leebarros, 13 Oct 2009.

1. leebarros

leebarros What's a Dremel?

I am planning on upgrading my Netgear WGR614v6 to a "Wireless N" standard router.

Reason for upgrading is that I have a PS3 in the living room (currently wireless but have ordered an ethernet cable to connect to the router as im having connection problems) and im having problems streaming media from my pc upstairs (wireless) to the ps3. I have mentioned this on another thread on this forum here.

What "Wireless N" routers would you recommend for the likes of media streaming from a wireless pc ---> router ---> wired PS3 ?

Or are there 802.11G routers available that are better than the WGR614v6 for media streaming?

One day I hope to have my complete house networked by means of a wire, none of this wireless technology which is good, but when problems arise, they are a nightmare. With cables, you connect and thats practically it (some settings may need to be changed but hell of a lot easier than wireless)

Cheers,:thumb:

2. WozzaGB

WozzaGB What's a Dremel?

Hi

You shouldn't have to get an n standard router just to be able to stream between your PC and PS3. Before you go and spend money on new hardware, I would fault find the issue you have. Is it just the PS3 that is having connectivty issues? Does it connect at all? If not then it probably isn't set up correctly, if so, what is the signal strength like? Try and eliminate a few things, try a laptop, try a friends router. . .etc. Another point I was going to make is that I don't think the PS3 supports 802.11n. I'm sure it would work with a n capable router, but it wouldn't be making use of the n standard.

Krikkit likes this.
  3. leebarros

leebarros What's a Dremel?

Just hooked it up via ethernet to the router and it works perfectly, speeds are fast and no problems whatsoever!

Wired connections rule! lol

4. TS_Slick

TS_Slick What's a Dremel?

Peronally i had kind of the same scenario, my O2 router was cack wouldnt even give me a good wired connection constant jumping and skipping in movs, so i went for the Belkin N+ adsl router the one recommended highly by PC PRO, got it on special offer from PC world (yeah i know, i felt dirty afterwards) so now i've got my gaming rig in my spare bedroom connectiong via N (perfect signal from an impressive distance 270mbps) with my HTPC, NAS and router all in the living room connected via ethernet, so far so good.

Only other thing i would check is compatibility between devices i got a Edimax N PCI card from play.com for like £20 for my PC but multiple channels wasnt setup on the router by default so as soon as i flicked it from 40 to 20\40 it picked up from 130mbps to 270.

5. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

I use a Dlink DIR-655 router, and currently only use wireless for tivo(g) and laptop(n). Can push B, G, and N at the same time, has the WPS service with button, and has Gb ethernet ports.
    When I change from g>n the signal distance and speed is very noticeable. With G, I get 2-3 bars of signal strength on my back porch, but with N, I can take a stroll past the pool, and go to the other side of the yard with no problems. Brick walls, and router is located on the far side of the house.
    My Laptop is using an intel adapter. I have had problems in the past with using old 1st gen wireless adapters, (from different Mfgr's), in customers homes to make good connections. I now buy all the same Mfgr when purchasing equip for customers.