1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage New SATA II SSD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Durd, 31 Oct 2012.

1. Durd

Durd New Member

I currently have a 128GB SSD but need a 256, however, thanks to an artificial limitation by Sony my laptop can only do SATA 2 speeds. So, what's the best value/ performance SSD to get? Or am I still better off getting something like a Samsung 830?

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Well-Known Member

yes! outside of benchamrks and moving huge video files , sata 3 ssd`s dont even break sata 2 speeds anyway (4k reads and writes for example)

get teh 830 , vertex/agility 4 or crucial M4 and be happy

3. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

A SATA 6Gbit/s SSD is a better choice even if you're limited to SATA 3Gbit/s. SATA 3Gbit/s drives are really low end.

Samsung 830 is an excellent choice. You may also want to take a look at OCZ Agility 3 if asynchronous NAND and the 1 year warranty don't bother you. I have one of each (in different systems) and they are both seriously fast.

4. Durd

Durd New Member

I had an OCZ drive before that failed me after a couple months. Left a bit of a bad taste.

The current SSD is an 830 that I had before the laptop. Looks like I'll probably get another, might just wait to see if the 840 brings the price down. Cheers chaps.

5. Harlequin

i also had a few ocz vertex 3 drives - that really made me question if they were worth it - this crucial m4 restored my faith!

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The Vertex 3 and Agility 3 had reliability issues.
    That is why the company bough Indillix for their expertize, and knowledge. This resulted in the Vertex 4, which doesn't the issues of the previous OCZ SSD's.

The Samung 830 is great choice. Not as fast as the Vertex4, but competitively priced, and performance is very close, so its a good deal.

7. Harlequin

except that the vertex 4 uses a marvell controller , rebranded ;)

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Except that the firmware has been done by the Indillix team, and the Marvel controller was implement by both: OCZ and Indillix.

9. Harlequin