1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor new shuttle

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by glennd_05, 28 Feb 2004.

1. glennd_05

glennd_05 What's a Dremel?

i'm putting together a shuttle for a friend. just figgered i'd go over the specs w/ the pro's to see if there were any conflicts

Shuttle SK41G
    Duron 1.6ghz
    Crucial PC2100 2*256mb
    Maxtor 60gb 7200rpm

thay have a cd/rw, monitor, keyboard&mouse, etc... anything i'm missing?

thanks

-glenn

2. ajack

ajack rox

GFX card? Unless you're going to be using the o/b graphics. Everything else seems ok though

3. Penrhos

Penrhos What's a Dremel?

Dont do it..... Pay the extra few quid for the SN41G2 or SN45G (if you have a video card)

The SK41 is sis chipset so no dual channel memory or USB 2.0 and it only supports 200/266 FSB processors so you cut off any upgrade path.

You would be better off with
    SN45G + videocard or SN41G2 without (onboard FG4-mx440)
    2 * Crucial PC2700 (about the same price but allows upgrade to 333fsb athlon later)

4. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

actually its a via km266, not an sis... it has usb 2.0, ieee1394, up to 32mb s3 savage8 onboarrd video, supports up to pc2100 memory, and will support the highest 266fsb processor (AMD XP2600+)...

it also has a single pci slot and an agp slot for upgrades in that department...

honestly, take into account what your friend wants to spend, and what they're going to do with it before you go and buy one of the newer versions

(I own a sk41g and i absolutely love the thing, works beautifully for a little file server, and when i had windows on it, it performed wonderfully as a htpc/general pc, i didn't play games on it as i used the onboard video)

5. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Problem with small form factor pcs... upgradability... wait and get a little better one so you can upgrade more later...

6. glennd_05

glennd_05 What's a Dremel?

I'm building this comp for some older friends of mine who want to replace their ancient 486. i think anything modern is going to work for them for a long time. I'm gunna use the o/b gfx cuz all they do is type, check e-mail, and surf the net.

thanks for the info though

-glenn

Tags: