1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News New Study: P2P Music increases CD sales?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 6 Nov 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Maybe because not everybody owns a MP3 player/iPod, or has a car PC system, and so would want to be able to listen to it in the car.

Sam

3. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

Pandora is cool. Hadn't come across it before. I really like Musicovery as well.

4. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

Just as a quick note, it's University College. University Collage would be made up of lots of little bits stuck together.

5. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

New study:

A new study is being undertaken to determine how many studies are under way to find out if all, or any, of the studies already taken on the subject of illegal music downloading are either ********, porky pies or just pointless, annoying and biased towards whoever is in control of the damn study.

6. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

LMAO @ Will! :D

Until I read the article about the RIAA shutting up shop or embracing non-DRM'd downloads, its just more of the same IMO... :D

7. serial_

serial_ What's a Dremel?

The majority of my mp3 collection is from CDs I converted to digital medium, and most of those CDs were purchased because I pirated a few of the songs off the interwebs first =).

So you see... it's a vicious cycle...

8. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

i've downloaded many a tune, and then gone out and actually bought new Cd's because of it... hell, if it wasn't for file sharing i'd never have gone to all the concerts that ive been to in the past few years! take that RIAA ..|.. X_X ..|..

9. Computer Gremlin

Computer Gremlin What's a Dremel?

Haven't bought a single CD in a while. The music is terrible quality and their is nothing inspiring or interesting available. WCYY at 94.3 FM here in Maine plays the best music around but tying to find the CDs to the music they play is difficult. All the new bands don't disclose sales or only sell live CDs at concerts.

10. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I am one of those that will download to see if it's worth buying.
    The last NiN CD (Year Zero) was like that, I downloaded it, loved it to bits, bought it and I regularly do the same with other music. It's like shareware, you need to try before you buy imo. Selling a CD on the strength of one single isn't good enough for most consumers.

11. Lee @ Scan

Lee @ Scan Scan Computers

Right... I do not grab albums but what I do grab are live sets by various DJ's like Antiscience, Autobots, Deekline & Wizard and a load of others.

While this is not affected my albums I've purchased this year ... 1 - Pendulum - Hold your colour (my first copy got damaged), what it has affected is my weekends out as now I tend to be all over the place seeing names I wouldn't be seeing unless I downloaded their sets and gave them a good listen to.

12. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

how suprising (sarcasm)

oh wait this is what those who know the truth about p2p etc have been saying for years

13. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

P2P studies... :blah:
    So, the study reaches the conclusion that
    "the effect of one additional P2P download per month is to increase music purchasing by 0.44 CDs per year"
    that means that
    "the effect of twelve additional P2P downloads per year is to increase music purchasing by 0.44 CDs per year"
    or, since its impossible to buy 0.44 CD, that
    "the effect of twenty seven (~27.3) additional P2P downloads per year is to increase music purchasing by 1 CD per year".

If only one of the ~27.3 downloads results in a CD sale, what results the other 26.3 downloads?
    Guessing some will be deleted, others will join the "pirate chest".

14. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

you got it wrong.... the effect of one additional download is 0.44 CDs per year, if so then 12 should increase the purchasing by 5,28..... if it is 27 then 11.88 albums.... if it is 1000 downloads then it increases the purchasing by 440 albums.... and so on....

i wonder if this also works in reverse...... if you download minus 1000 and it decreases the purchasing by 440 albums.....:idea:

15. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

The authors used different time measures.

1 download per month, 0.44 CDs per year.
    12 downloads per year, 0.44 CDs per year.
    1 download per month, 0.03(6) CDs per month.

16. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

Certainly, but I'm pretty sure most people these days have access to something that can burn CDs. Isn't it much better to have a CD filled with tracks that you like, rather than a single album which contains a mix of a few tracks that you like and many that you don't much care for?

17. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

i can find data from the first three years of napsters existence that proved this. this is no new study. its not only because you can preview, it also exposes you to music you never would have heard before. i didn't even read the article this is such an old point.

18. Lee @ Scan

Lee @ Scan Scan Computers

Audiogalaxy was where it was at.

The day that service ended - the day a small part of me shed a small tear :)

19. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

20. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

"The authors used different time measures."

Do you prefer to receive a 100€ monthly raise in your paycheck or a 1000€ yearly bonus?

Tags: Add Tags