1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New su=ystem advice.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by apl1970, 4 Apr 2005.

1. apl1970

apl1970 What's a Dremel?

I`m looking to upgrade my current system (xp2800+, Asus a7n8x deluxe, radeon 9700pro) and am after some advice.

I`m going for a system based on the AMD 64 4000+ and I`ve some questions regarding the mobo / Graphics.
    I was going for an Asus A8N SLI mobo and either an 850 xt pe radeon or a pair of 6800 GT or ultras (depending on the price).

It`s going to be water cooled to keep it as quiet as possible (it runs constantly in a bedroom)

The memory is my current Corsair 3200 LL twinX matched.

Any advice would be nice.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'd go for some higher-speed RAM than that mate - you can probably clock that 4000+ quite a bit with decent WC.

If you're spending that much money on a rig, you may as well go the whole hog - you could buy a single 6800U, then buy another one soon after, or buy a pair of 6800GT's. :)

Don't forget that if you want to cut back the costs a little, the 3500+ is a very good, high-clocking chip which could probably get to those kinds of speeds fairly easily with good RAM and cooling.

3. apl1970

apl1970 What's a Dremel?

The better ram was a future purchase possibly.

4. apl1970

apl1970 What's a Dremel?

OK, back again.

I`ve re-thought my choices and now it`s this
    Athlon 64 3800
    DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR
    Connect3d Radeon X800 XL
    Current Ram.

I`ve not gone SLI as I don`t think (from toms hardware review) that 2 cards are worth it and the 800 seems a good card. Is there a better board if I don`t care about SLI considering it`s going to be overclocked?

Should these work OK together?

Whats the difference between the RBX A64 and the RBX AMD water bocks from Danger Den? I`ve looked at the pics but they look the same. I already have an AMD block so it would be nice to use this.

5. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Word of advice: Wait for the Venice core to come out. It's supposed to come out any time now (I'd assume within the next month), and it'll own so much :D

Tis what I'm waiting for at least...