1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New System for Mrs Xaser

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xaser04, 3 Jan 2014.

1. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Hi all,

I have just ordered up the following parts for Mrs Xaser and was just wondering, having not had a AMD system for a number of years , whether there is anything I need to watch out for when building and also what I should be aiming for OCing wise (I like to tinker).

I had a strict budget of £300 which also needed to include the OS. Luckily I already had my Define R3, TT 675 PSU, 4GB DDR3, SSD and spare HD lying around from my previous desktop so I didn't need everything :eeek:.

The main requirements Mrs Xaser had were:

- Decent (60FPS possible at medium settings) 1080p gaming performance in Source based games & Minecraft;
    - Good enough performance for more demanding games ad hoc (BF3, Dead Island etc)*;
    - Good overall performance for everyday tasks (Excel etc);
    - (Nice to have) Decent encoding performance for DVD ripping to NAS*

*Anything too demanding will be played / run on my laptop.

Knowing the budget and doing quite a lot of searching I ended up ordering the following:

- Ahtlon X4 760K 3.8Ghz + turbo (Richland APU minus iGPU) - £60
    - Asus A88ZX-A (FM2 with FM2+ support) - £55
    - MSI HD7850 1GB - £120
    - Windows 8.1 X64 - £70

Total spend - £305

Whilst not top end parts, I think this is a decent all round system. If I could have upped the budget to £350 I might have squeezed in a FX6300 & R7 270, but I simply did have the wiggle room.

All of this will be coupled with the following:

- Fractal Define R3
    - Thermaltake Toughpower XT675w (slight overkill.... :D)
    - Antec Kuhler 620 (if I can find the right mounting bracket - is it the same as AM3?)
    - 4GB DDR3 1600MT/s
    - Crucial C300 64GB boot drive
    - 80GB "Game" drive - all I have spare - again budget would not allow a bigger HD. It will suffice for now.
    - DVD-RW

It will be an interesting build as I have not run / played with a AMD system for quite some time. I am curious as to how the Richland (A)CPU will peformance and what tinkering options there are. As far as I can tell it should perform on par with the A10-6800K and roughly in line with the FX-43xx series of CPU's.

I will throw up some benchmarks if I get the chance. I will also compare it to my laptop which will act as a proxy for a "low end" Haswell i7 - it runs at up to 3.4Ghz quad core turbo with 8 threads).