1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New ThermalRight NB-1C

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by daba, 9 Jul 2004.

1. daba

daba New Member

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Doesnt look like it's worth it over the alu version, and hmm yay - small and whiney fans. :duh:

3. Carbon

Carbon Banned

/me still prefers the swiftech nb fan

4. TMM

TMM Modder

nah, homebrew chopped up P4 'sinks.

5. Jedi

Jedi New Member

get the copper purely for looks :D :D

now .... any idea if the thermalrights or swifttechs will fit on my nf7-s r2 with a sp-97 (heatpipes point toward the ram).

6. TMM

TMM Modder

swifttechs, not sure, but probably. For the thermalright, if the Sp-97 is close to the size of the SLK-900a then it will fit:
    http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_support_faq_motherboard_nb1.htm

7. mushky

mushky gimme snails

it looks cute :D

aah, bless

8. Jedi

Jedi New Member

i saw that but if u position the slk-900a with the fins horizontal then there will be way more room for a northbridge hsf.

i could allways do a quick ghetto cardboard mock-up and see how it works tho :D

9. Skylined

Skylined Active Member

That heatsink looks funny. :hehe:
    It's a mini SLK-800/900.
    Look momma I've shrinked the heatsink! :hehe:

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I'd prefer a hybrid one, like a mini ALX800. It's a lot better for something that size since the copper gets the heat off the core and the aluminum lets it off faster than copper can. Probably why the ALX800 performs on par with an SLK900...

11. Jedi

Jedi New Member

they should go the whole way and make a mini sp97, heatpipes the lot :D

12. Skylined

Skylined Active Member

:hehe:

13. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

Thats a common misconception. Copper is better period :thumb:

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Copper-alu hybrids perform good if not better than all copper jobbies. Certainly better at lower cfm.
    BigZ will agree with my and ive had enough heatsinks to come to this conclusion too. However, as with everything people will argue the snakeoil to the grave cause everyones setups are different.

15. TMM

TMM Modder

all-copper performs better aslong as it gets very good airflow. But bindi is right, for low CFM fans, alu will get rid of heat faster

16. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

Why do you think that?

Its a myth that aluminium radiates heat faster than copper. Alot of people belive it but be assured its definatly not the case.

If theres some other reason why aluminium would be better i open to suggestions? :)

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I cant remember the reasons, i cant be bothered to dig them out but its been discusses before and copper/alu hybrids work better in lower static pressures.

Tis why swiftech are always the way they are. You can get alu cooler fast cause it holds less heat, which means the copper which holds more transmits it to the alu, begin cycle again.

18. Tim S

Tim S OG

The two swiftechs I have perform better at lower than maximum air flow due to aluminium radiating heat better than copper. Copper conducts heat much better than Aluminium, but really speaking it does not release the heat as efficiently as it conducts heat better.

Good heat radiation usually means that the said metal doesn't conduct heat quite as well - it wants to get rid of it faster in simple terms.

At high air flow rates all copper is without doubt considerably better than a bi-metal construction heatsink, but a combination of Aluminium/Copper works better with low air flow in my opinion due to the better heat radiation propperties that aluminium has.

To add a technical side to this... Coppers specific heat capacity is considerably higher than that of Aluminium, and thus will hold more heat per unit of mass

19. kbn

kbn New Member

To quote 8-ball's answer to one of my questions on pro forums:

"The only effect specific heat capacity of the block material has is to vary the rate at which the equilibrium temperature gradient is reached. In other words, a block made from a material with a higher specific heat capacity will not react so quickly to changes in thermal output. So if you suddenly increase cpu usage, it will take longer to reach the new equilibrium temperature than if the block were made of a material of lower specific heat capacity. However, the equilibrium temperature will be the SAME regardless.

8-ball"

and no. 2 on http://www.procooling.com/articles/html/5_myths_about_cooling__-_phaes.php

Alu is not better, its just cheap.

20. Tim S

Tim S OG

I never said that aluminium on its own was better...

a combination of aluminium and copper at with minimal air flow will have performance that is not dissimilar to it's performance with high air flow due to the fact that Aluminium does not hold on to heat in the same way that copper does. Copper on the other hand works considerably better with high air flow than it does with low air flow because it likes to hold on to heat for longer periods of time. However, when the air flow is reduced, something that is completely copper should, by rights perform better than an aluminium/copper heatsink like the Swiftech, but quite often, the tables are turned... see the graph below...

[​IMG]

The swiftech MCX478-V at low flow outperforms the Thermalright SP-94, where at high flow the difference is huge, and quite the opposite. This merely proves the point that I am trying to make here.

While the procooling link is not wrong, you're not taking what I've said into consideration. I'm talking about heatsinks with a copper base and aluminium fins, and comparing it to a heatsink which is constructed from copper - the procooling link only talks about the arguement of copper versus aluminium - it also doesn't refer to air flow rates. This is not the comparison that one would make between the MCX159 and the Thermalright NB-1C as the MCX159 is not made from 100% aluminium.

Last edited: 11 Jul 2004