1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to WC, help plz

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by NoRmZiDiUs_669, 29 May 2014.

1. NoRmZiDiUs_669

NoRmZiDiUs_669 What's a Dremel?

Hey guys

I'm new to the WC scene and just worried about something

I want to install a chiller, so I'd have to insulate my Mobo, but I've read up and saw a post that said you can't drop your cpu temp too low during boot?

Is this only for benching with dice or does it apply to all sub zero cooling?

2. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Watercooling won't drop temperatures below zero. Sub zero cooling is basically only useful for benchmarking, but yes, if you cool parts of your computer below zero (or rather, below the dew point), you're risking condensation and/or frost forming, so you'll have to insulate everything against that.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that unless you really have to get the highest overclock possible, then you should either spend a lot longer reading up on it, or just stick to air or water cooling.

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Your talking about the cold boot bug. This is when a cpu which has been cooled too much below zero using liquid nitrogen or helium and won't boot because its too cold. I believe this is why you see extreme overclockers with blow torches.

This won't happen with a chiller.

If your new to watercooling then I would ask why you are going straight to a chiller instead of just a regular rad and fan set up.

Last edited: 29 May 2014
  4. NoRmZiDiUs_669

its just a little side project for me, its not going on my main rig just yet. its a machine im building with some spare parts to see if id be able to do it before going onto my main build. its also my first scratch build so i wanna make something that'll be a challenge for me :)

as for the reason im going straight to chiller, I live in South Africa, my current rig isnt overclocked at all and my cpu is hitting temps of about 65-75 degrees, so i dont know if straight watercooling is an option to drop it low enough to overclock?

thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated XD

5. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Howzit, my china? A straight rad and fan approach will remove the heat fast enough. I doubt you need to get into active cooling to do that. Jozie isn't any hotter then part of the US and southern Europe which have plenty of people getting stable overclocks.

Unless you're in Letaba, in which case you're screwed.

6. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Aim for the water in the bowl or put something in the water to aim at and you should be good to go!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

7. NoRmZiDiUs_669

Awesome, thanks guys, i'll give it a shot n let you know how it goes :) was jus a little worried it wouldnt be enough