1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning New Watercooling Setup

Discussion in 'Modding' started by FPS_matt, 16 Nov 2010.

1. FPS_matt

FPS_matt New Member

I plan to get some watercooling stuff for christmas, yet i have never done it before. I found this, http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/XSPC-X2O-750-Rasa-Dual-WaterCooling-Kit_1329.html which is a complete kit and was just wondering if it is any good? I want to watercool so i can overclock. i plan to upgrade in the future.

here is my parts list;
    CoolerMaster Cosmos 1000 :rock:
    Generic 750w PSU
    Intel Q8200
    6GB OCZ Obsidian
    Foxconn Blackops
    Zotac GTX260

If the parts aren't very good:sigh: pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese tell me some good ones!!!!

Lovels,

Matt

2. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Well-Known Member

The XSPC Rasa kit is a good'un.

for the WCUK kits you need to add your own coolant.

3. FPS_matt

FPS_matt New Member

Thanks for the quick reply!!! is there any suggestion to coolant or are they all the same?

4. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Use distilled water and a silver "kill coil"
    Ive done the coolant thing before and all it did was gum up my blocks and stain my tubing and res. That and the water is cheaper and works just as good, if not better.

5. FPS_matt

FPS_matt New Member

ok, thanks very much!!!!!!!!!!!! ill be talking very sweetly to my parents tonight!!!

6. Sponge12349

Sponge12349 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ ︵ ┻━┻

7. ry@n

ry@n Well-Known Member

As Sponge said, I would personally also suggest using that money to upgrade your PC, as someone thats spent hundreds on a dual loop watercooling setup I can tell you it isn't worth it. Unless your spec is sufficent for what you need and you're only watercooling it to make it quieter, id spend the money elsewhere (A branded PSU for a start).

As for coolants, distilled water is the best as Floyd said, but if you choose to go for a pre-mixed coolant. I've been using Feser One acid green for over 2 years with no colour fade or staining.

8. asura

asura jack of all trades

Hey, I disagree(ish) about the parts being crap. I'm liquid cooling my Q6600 and 4600 Quadro, with the plan on it lasting me till 2011(the slot not the year... though they may coincide) and the 7xxx Quadro's. Secure in the knowledge that the water cooling parts that I'm getting now will still be applicable for the future upgrade (except the GPU block which I picked up for £15 on ebay.)

p.s. 750 watts is plenty, I'm still rocking 620 :p PSU's are like radiator surface area, everyone always overestimates what they'll need.

9. ry@n

ry@n Well-Known Member

750w is more than enough, yes. But a generic 750w is more likely to be 400 unstable watts ready to explode and take out everything plugged into it.

I Didn't really believe how important it was to buy a PSU from a trusted brand until I saw the smoke coming from my friends PC, luckily he only had to replace the motherboard.

Brand > power output.

Last edited: 4 Dec 2010