1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks New web host required 150GB + bandwidth

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kylevdm, 13 Jul 2012.

1. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

Hey all,

Mods, please move this if you feel it belongs somewhere else!

I am looking for a new web host, but I have a few problems...

Firstly is the bandwidth my server consumes, I get an average of 150GB of traffic a month peaking at about 400GB. This comes from the mod brothers podcasts that I was host of and still keep for people to listen to, http://kylevdm.com/podcast/

I am however expecting a lot more traffic to be coming my way soon though so I am going to need a new host to take over some of the duties. I am one of the hosts for a TEDx event in march this is going to streamed live, University of Glasgow is kindly lending me and my team a 120mbps upload line for this and access to their datacenter but that is only dealing with the video we still need to host the website and that website goes live soon as well as a few society websites for university and another website for a venture soon to be announced :)

So I am looking for a host that will not break the bank but can deal with a large amount of traffic. I am paying for most of this out of my pocket and being a student funds can be a bit tight.

I am currently with inmotion hosting but I am sharing a server with 900 or so other domains they have served me well not complaining about my bandwidth use but there you go.

So that is mission impossible, help me out please!

2. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Sounds like you need a VPS rather than shared hosting. I do offer some services, but they are US based (not UK)- to avoid breaching any rules feel free to PM me if you'd like more information.

3. jamesn

jamesn What's a Dremel?

hi,
    my advice would be to use cloudflare or akamai. cloudflare is the easier of the two to setup, and has a free level of subscription.

both will make your site massively salable without adding **** loads of load on your host.