1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors New wifey-mobile, practical + entertaining options?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mister_Tad, 1 Nov 2015.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

SPLIT from "what do you drive" thread, since it's a bit off topic as I don't drive it at the moment, or even know what "it" will be.

My wife's 7 year old car (BMW 123d Coupe) is starting to behave like a 7 year old car... it's an admittedly minor issue (window motor/controller), but it's got me paranoid and thinking about replacement, since there will be a time in the not too distant future when it's a less minor issue.

I'm looking for something that's practical enough to be an every day driver for her with a relatively short commute and pre-school runs that doubles as a car I can use at the weekend as a plaything, since I drive a diesel land-yacht all week.

This means almost mandatory is:
    - Petrol
    - >300bhp
    - AWD
    - Roomier than a 1er Coupe
    - Reliable enough to consider keeping for 6-7 years without worry

And a very strong preference:
    - 4 doors
    - estate
    - <£35-40k for near-new,

Focus RS and Subaru STI have serious image issues and she's not a "chav boy racer" - her words, not mine. For some reason neither of us like (nay, we strongly dislike) anything from VAG, can't really explain why.

The front runner for a while was a GLA45, however upon stumbling across the V60 Polestar I've re-adjusted expectations and budget, since for £40k you can get one with delivery miles and every single option ticked, which makes the GLA45 look rather expensive and featureless in comparison.

My other concern with the GLA45 was 360bhp from an unproven 2L 4-pot, and what that might mean for longevity.

Cons for the Polestar, generally just running costs:
    - Road tax, and the unknown of what band L will mean in 5 years time
    - On a similar vein, her parking permit at work is based on emissions, and will be expensive
    - Oh so thirsty (but she does very low mileage)
    - Getting a set of winter wheels over those massive front brakes won't be cheap
    - Longevity? Don't really know much about Volvos, but have a perception that they're solid for the long run.

Anything I'm missing, or anywhere that my logic is flawed?

Last edited: 2 Nov 2015
  2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

My friend has a V50, its not actually as big inside as you would think. Id advise seeing one in person first. Passats are big inside an reliable. Think the biggest estate in that class would the the Avensis which is enormous, but so practical.

3. Mister_Tad

I can't hoon any of those around like a weekend hooligan though. Aiming for practicality plus that bit.

There's one in Sheffield that I'll go check out next weekend methinks. Not necessarily after something massive, a little bit bigger than her current 1er coupe would be best, and having every option box ticked is nice too.

The only comparable cars on the market I can think of is an RS4 Avant or RS3 Sportback, and we both have a thing against Audi's for some reason.

Last edited: 1 Nov 2015
  4. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

As a V60 owner, avoid them if you want Estate-like storage space.

If you want a Volvo Estate, get a V70. If you want a fast sportwagon, get a V60 polestar. If you want a fast estate that has a pretty good storage capacity and don't want an Audi, get a last-generation M5 estate.

5. Mister_Tad

Interesting - it looks fairly big in pictures and compares with a 3er touring in paper (which is plenty big), but I guess seeing it in the metal will be the better tell.

She's got a 123d coupe at the moment, which she gets by with but it's getting cramped in the back with our daughter growing. Never really had an issue with boot space even though it's fairly limited - my car is usually the choice when we're going somewhere that needs more than a couple weekend bags and we're not looking to start transporting washing machines and sofas.

Generally speaking, looking for something near-new, around £35-40k or less, petrol, probably a wagon or SUV, practical enough to be a daily driver for the mrs with a short commute and school runs, amusing enough for me to pretend I have a toy to drive at the weekend and reliable enough to not get preoccupied with swapping it out for 6-7 years. AWD is a strong preference, otherwise a 335i touring would have ranked pretty highly... and a 640i would have probably been sexy enough to let me make a concession to only having two doors.

6. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Have you looked at VXR's? I hate Vauxhall personally (grey, grey cars...), but they're supposed to be pretty nippy, even the estates.
    AMG Merc C-Class estate?
    Mondeo ST220 (not sure if they make an estate version)?
    Octavia RS?
    Passat R?

Premium fast estates (Mercs, BMW, Audi etc) will, generally speaking, be outside that budget unless you're looking for cars that have a few miles on the clock.

And yes, storage on the V60 is pretty crap compared to the class it's in.

7. Mister_Tad

I haven't looked at VXRs... you're not alone in your sentiments!

She's not sold on the looks of the outgoing C63 wagon, and as you rightly point out it needs more than some token miles on the clock to come under £40k - I'm not sure I'd feel warm and fuzzy with the prospect of hanging on to a £40k C63 for 7 years. The rest of the list you suggest is a bit on the tamer side, and fail to tick the AWD box.

And I said we don't like Audis, but it's actually the whole of VAG that I just have something against, and her - literally not the faintest idea why, I just don't like them, never have, and can't explain it. I was clearly abused by a Volkswagen in a previous life.

The only other cars I can think of that combine moderate practicality, petrol, AWD, >300bhp and <£40k for near-new are the Focus RS and Subaru STI, and I know she's not going to go for either of those. Merc A/CLA/GLA45 gets an honourable mention, and was an easy front runner until I discovered all the bells and whistles that come with the polestar for a solid £8-10k less on a near-new one.

EDIT: Might split this thread out to a general advice thread, this is a "what do you drive" thread after all, not "what might your wife drive" thread :lol:

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Think i would rather go a bit older and get something memorable on that budget for a load lugger like an RS4, nice revvy NA V8, sure it'll be out torqued by all the turbo nutters but still.

Newer you might get a lot in the back of a Mustang, XF Sportbrrake?

9. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

XF Sportbrake, nah. Storage is still pretty bad for an estate, but 100l higher capacity than the V60.

Unfortunately, as much as I hate them, the car that ticks all your boxes is the RS4 Estate. Unless you want to spend double that on an RS6? :p

10. Mister_Tad

RS4 is the clear elephant in the room, and even my disdain for anything VAG, and added disdain for Audi specifically won't let me ignore it.

Checking around though, ~£35k for a non-dealer new shape RS4 with 3-4y and ~30k, I'm not sure how appealing the prospect of keeping one of those for another 6-7 years is. £45k seems to be the cost of entry for the almost new dealer stock, and that's more than I'd like to spend. The budget started at <£50k, so it's nice for these things to go down for a change!

I'm very intrigued to see how cramped the V60 really is... photos make it look pretty big and dimensions suggest it's as least as big as a 3er touring, which is plenty large.

Is the issue with front cabin space? rear legroom? boot space? fold-flat loading area? all of the above?

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

How much will it loose in its time of ownership versus that Volvo though, I imagine it would be less despite the higher price tag.

12. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Honestly, if you're happy with a smaller boot, The Polestar is the way to go.

I've had my V60 for nearly a year now, and have had no problems at all with it. That's even with 67k on the clock when I bought it at 2 years old (company repmobile).
    Just coming up to it's first MOT and I expect it to pass with flying colours.

The running costs for the Polestar will of course be far higher, but so will the performance. I'd also go for a white one, to keep it understated.

13. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Honestly, I'd have a look at the RS4.
    I massively dislike VAG myself, but that car is quick and practical.
    Maintenance an emissions taxes on these cars won't be great whichever way you turn it.

I had a look at the GLA series, and found them ultra small, personally.
    It's a shame that you're lookinf for AWD. The obvious (though useless to you) recommendation (for a bit more) is an M2

14. Mister_Tad

You could be right, but if it's an argument between £10k in my pocket today and maybe a £3-4k in my pocket in 2021 then it's not an argument at all. I try not to dissect residuals anyway, for that reason, I certainly wouldn't be driving a 7-series from new if I did. If I get 6 years of trouble free motoring, I feel like I've had my money's worth - whether it's worth £10k or £15k at the end.

How is general fit and finish, comparable to BMW? I'm thinking creaks, shakes etc, and any quirks? I.e. all of the sorts of things you don't get from a test drive, until a year in.

I'm not sure there's a new car available today that I covet more than an M2... even the M235i is a "maybe", but that's the loins talking more than the head. If it was for me, I'd probably succumb.

And then there's the RS3 Sportback :sigh:

15. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Couple suggestions which may or may not help as they're not Petrol...

BMW X3 xDrive35d M Sport - £46k list, but I'd be really surprised if you couldn't get it down to near £40k for delivery miles or nearly new. 313hp and they go like a effing shot, but diesel so your tax concerns go away. My inlaws have one.

Same engine as above but on the 3-series chassis instead:

BMW 335d xDrive Touring - list is low £41s
    BMW 335d xDrive GT - list is low £44s

All four wheel drive, all big, all four doors, tax around 151g/km so considerably lower overall.

Downside for what you seem to be looking for though is that it'll sound like a tank, not like an F1 car.

But it'll go like stink.

16. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

With the Polestars, you're buying into bespoke Volvo's, rebuilt from the ground up by their performance guys, so I couldn't really compare it to my one.
    Having said that, I can give you an insight into the cons of living with a V60.
    • The position of the E-handbrake is stupid. Right down by where your right knee is. However, I know the R-design options have the manual handbrake as well, so don't count this out of the Polestar
    • The 'floating' centre console is totally redundant as the space behind it is tiny.
    • Make sure you have a 'volvo guy', instead of going to the official dealer for servicing as, as with all euro carmakers, the servicings will cost you an absolute bomb.
    • Get a spare wheel instead of the repair kit they give you as default

Apart from that, I can't really think of any foibles that put me off my car. I drive it over 100 miles every day, and I love it!

17. Mister_Tad

I won't lie, something like this is absolutely appealing - looks, options, practicality and running costs. It should be a no brainer, why am I so set on petrol?

The problem for me is, and bear with me, because it probably sounds incredibly stupid, it's basically the same engine as my daily driver (a 730d). Yes there's a bit more power in the 35d, and with the 3er having lost some weight it will definitely pull harder, corner better etc, but having two cars with so many common parts under the bonnet just seems like a waste. (I warned you it's stupid).

You're right though, 335d touring is absolutely the thinking man's choice - maybe I just need more thinking before it makes sense. I actually take delight in the roar of mine under acceleration, granted it's not a AMG/RS/M petrol yowl, but nice in it's own right.

The other thing I probably need to look in to is how well something like a 335d will cope doing <5k/year, with nary a long run.

Cheers for the tips - I did spot the centre console "issue" in photos, seems a bit of an add choice.

Is there a space for a spare wheel? Full size? Or does that eat in to boot space.

18. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

How about a Toyota Hilux, I know it doesn't met your exact requirements but it's nearly indestructible as proven by top gear, its been voted the third best car to have when the zombie apocalypse happens and its roomier than your previous car :)

19. Xir

Xir Modder

A Lancia Thema? (Which is a european built Chrysler 300 really..The "Walther White" car) :hip:
    The 3.6L V6 should do nicely :D
    Not available as an estate though.

20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Mustang?

2016 model at any rate. Passably economical with the Ecoboost engine (cheaper, too), modern Fords aren't as 'dagenham dustbin' as they were, we're not fat Americans so the cab is reasonably spacious. Brand spangly from Ford with all the options ticked, the Ecoboost is ~32k online.

Equally Ford-themed, Focus ST Estate in a non-chav colour? Estate, the engine is capable of a lot, as above, not as dagenahm dustbinn-y as Ford can be. All the options ticked hits a smidge under 30k online.

I've been driving my Mondeo for nearly 3 years of its 8 year life, and it's not really skipped a beat. I wouldn't be shy recommending a Ford for a 7 year lifespan.

Although, as an RS driver, I feel mildly offended by her assertion that we're boy racers/chavs! :p