1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News New Xbox Experience to be mandatory soon

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Mar 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

I don't have an Xbox 360 - I presume NXE is installed as standard on new boxes?

3. MajorTom

MajorTom Minimodder

I updated to NXE a couple of days after it was out. Not through wanting the new stuff but wanting to have up to date software. At first it struck me that the interface was certainly more snazzy than the old but then I realised just how many adverts there were. Even the default selected row when you turn your box on is a bar of adverts rather than the bar to launch your game or edit your console settings.

I quickly found myself pressing the xbox button in the middle of the pad to bring up the old style menu where everything I needed was still there and not covered with adverts.

I hope that menu remains as that's all I need. If they get rid of that I'll be a bit cheesed off.

4. Gremlin

Gremlin What's a Dremel?

When i picked up a new 360 (falcon model in a 60gb pro bundle) at christmas before i could even get on Xbox Live i was forced to upgrade to NXE so this isnt exactly news to me, i just figured it forced it on everyone already

5. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Its probably to look for all the hacked consoles out there, what other reason would they have to force it. I just hope it wont mess up my repaired 360, the guy I got it from was throwing it out and said it broke and I could have it.

6. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

I thought it was mandatory for XBL as soon as it was released as I could only play offline without installing it. It wouldn't let me sign in to Live at all without the update.

I'd imagine this will make it mandatory for all the offline players and that all new games will need you to update before they will run. So technically you could get away with not updating if you stay offline and play old games.

7. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

i disagree, its horrible and slow. I wish i could go back but no, im forced with this update. I woner how long it will be before we are forced to upgrade windows, oh wait they do be removing support.

8. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

This is gonna be fun for my younger cousins who don't have access to xbox live. at all because of dial up.

9. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

i got this update, hate it. I dont use xbox live (never got my router to work with it) and because of this everything offline (DVDS, games, music, movies) is all on a single sub menu now, making my exprience cluttered and awful.

10. quake1-rules

quake1-rules What's a Dremel?

LOL! Convenience at the cost of flexibility = consoles.

11. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

lol Im still one of those with blades.. cba with paying for gold membership when I enjoy PC gaming so much more.

12. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

doesnt the update come with the game there fore no online required you need to install the patch in order to play offline.

13. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Agreed. I've found I don't look at the XBL marketplace anymore whereas on the old system I used to look quite regularly to see what had been updated.

I'd also prefer the first tab that shows to be the My X-box Tab instead of the ad based tab.

14. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I agree to that also. There are far to many adverts for something im paying for. I dont get any adverts on PSN which is free.

Work that one out.

I find I use the xbox button more, in order to find anythng i want to do, because that brings up a mini version of the old blades system. So much easier to find stuff.

Only thing I like about the new systems is that they added party support, allowing you to voice chat with more than one person.

15. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

Crucial bit of information missing from this news item.. that the NXE requires some local storage, 128MB. That means all those people out there with a 256MB memory card who didn't update because they didn't have the space on their arcade console will have to go and buy a another memory card. Though I seem to remember Microsoft doing a reduced price scheme for those people.

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

For values of 'reduced price' that equal 'free'. As I recall, MS offer a 512MB card for free or a discount on a 20GB HDD.

17. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

The best part about the new UI is the insta-popup of the menu when you push the XBOX globe on the controller. The rest is a cluster **** and everything seems thrown together.

18. War-Rasta

War-Rasta What's a Dremel?

x2

19. naokaji

naokaji whatever

I doubt that is the main reason, the whole idea of consoles is having only one kind of everything, just like with the hardware that counts for the software as well, it is cheaper for them if they only have to maintain one software.

Tags: Add Tags