1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Newbie - PSU advice required for new AM3 build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neonhalo, 21 Mar 2010.

1. Neonhalo

Neonhalo Generic 250w Grey PSU

Afternoon!

First-time poster here with a quick question about choosing a PSU for my new build. If I've missed anything out, don't crucify me just yet - I'm still learning! :D

Right, so I suppose I should start with the basics. I've decided I want to build a new gaming/multimedia PC, as my current rig isn't really cutting it for me any more (AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+, 2gb DDR2 800, broken X1900GT 256mb). It was my first build, and at sixteen years of age I didn't have the money to buy top-end parts so had to settle with *shudder* B-grade.. I know, I know, bad idea. Squealing motherboard caps remind me of that every day.. :duh:

Anyway. This is the planned spec for my new PC:

Mobo: Asus M4A79XTD EVO
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945
    RAM: Corsair XMS3 TwinX 4GB (2x2GB)
    ODD: Scavenged from my old PC
    HDD: 1 x 500gb 7200rpm, 1 x 160gb 7200rpm (both scavenged), possibly 1 x 1tb 7200rpm
    GPU: nVidia 9800GT Green 1gb (Got it for free, will be upgrading to an ATI 5850 soon after build :D)
    PSU: ??? (See below)
    Cooling: Stock for now, moving to Coolermaster Hyper 212+ soon enough
    Case: Coolermaster CM690 Dominator II Advance

Sound good so far? I've spent months going over reviews to find exactly what parts I would want. The only thing I haven't set in stone as yet is the PSU.

I was originally going to pick up a Coolermaster Silent Pro Modular 700W, however I've heard on the grapevine that they're not as good as certain others. I won't be going SLI/CF in this rig's lifetime, so I won't need anything with huge amounts of PCI-E connectors (also, my mobo doesn't support 16x/16x CF if I recall correctly). I think I'd probably be safest with a 700w+ PSU, unless I'm completely wrong in guessing how much power I'll need. Modular'd be nice, however it's not essential, and my budget for the PSU would probably be about £90-100.

I don't suppose ye technical wizards/wizardesses (is that the right word?) could give me some advice in what PSU would suit my system best?

Thanks in advance! :thumb:

2. thehippoz

thehippoz New Member

used to be a big debate over how much power you needed a couple years back.. but with supplies so cheap- especially during sales you can get the bigger ones for almost the same price.. I picked up a corsair 850 a couple of black fridays back in 2008 for $85 after rebates shipped

nowdays that same supply goes for $140-150 before shipping.. and getting the 950 is only 10 bucks more.. so getting a good price/performance is back in the picture again

for 100 I'd look at the 750tx.. you can get that for $90 after rebates here in the states- bet it's a steal over there- the tx is single rail

3. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

4. Aracos

Aracos New Member

This.

Your system would be perfectly fine with this power supply, you need nowhere near 700w. I'd get that ocz power supply or a corsair hx450. Both great power supplies and both perfectly capable for your system

5. cybergenics

cybergenics New Member

I paid £93 about 6 weeks ago for one here, which is about $139. That was the cheapest anywhere too at the time, next cheapest was a quid (£1) more.

6. tonpal

tonpal New Member

The advice given by Rollo and Storm is worth listening to.

I put a post together on estimate PSU size which you may also find helpful.

7. okenobi

okenobi New Member

I agree on 450ish watts. Don't waste your money.

However, the bigger concern is why you're wasting money on a quad core Phenom. Get an X2 550 instead and have a go at unlocking a core or two.

8. Aracos

Aracos New Member

And if he fails then he's stuck with either a dual or tri core when he was wanting to buy a quad core.

Neonhalo if you WANT a quad core then buy a quad core, if you don't want one and would be happy with a dual core with a chance at 1 or 2 extra cores then get the X2. Don't make the decision based on saving money because you might be sorely disappointed.

9. okenobi

okenobi New Member

I didn't mean to buy a dual core in the hope of unlocking. I meant that Phenom quads are poor value compared with Intel i5 or even i3. The only reason to go AMD is for cheapness and getting a quad core negates that a bit.

If you get to unlock cores, bonus. If not, it's no biggy. For gaming/multimedia (as stated in OP), an X2 550 will be more than adequate. If you wanna spend more than that, you're into an i3 530. Quad core Phenoms are just poor value for money. Simple.

10. Aracos

Aracos New Member

I didn't realise you meant it like that, I completely agree about the i5 750 if he's gonna go quad core but that would be an extra £20-£30 over the 945 but the mobo should be the same. Personally I'd do it but it's his choice, I was gonna suggest it but was put off since he came from an Athlon 5000+ which made me think he may be an AMD fanboy and I wasn't in the mood to open his mind :D

Tags: