1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Newegg lanfest 2k7 case mod contest

Discussion in 'Modding' started by THEkorean, 12 Aug 2007.

1. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

For all you in the So Cal area, Newegg is hosting their 2k7 lanfest in October.

I was wondering if anyone who has gone in the past knows more about the case mod contest.
    They took WCIII off the tourney list this year and thats the only game i play so i was wondering if i have to purchase a BYOC ticket to participate in the case mod contest or if i could get away with just a spectator ticket.

Any information will be apreciated

2. Zort

Zort What's a Dremel?

I participated in the 2005 Newegg Lanfest casemod contest. Yes, you do have to register for the BYOC event. A spectator pass won't cut it. If you have any further questions I will be happy to answer as best I can.

3. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

thank you for the response! i had Two more question.

1. Usually what day is the mod contest, and around what time, or is it a 3 day event? If you dont know, do you know who i would contact to find out specifics?

2. How does the mod contest work exactly?

4. Zort

Zort What's a Dremel?

1. In 2005 the mod contest was on day 2 (Sunday). No guarantees that it will be the same day this time around. As the day of the lanfest gets closer Newegg will probably release an itinerary listing when each tournament and contest will happen.

2. Everyone who wishes to participate in the mod contest states their intention to do so when they sign in. You are given a special piece of paper to display near your mod which designates it as being part of the contest. At some point, the judges make their rounds and inspect each case mod. They make a list of the ones they consider finalists and make another round inspecting just those cases and talking to the modders themselves to give them a chance to showcase their mod. Then, the winners are announced a few hours later on stage.

Note that last time the judges didnt pick the winners based on the best, second best, and third best. Instead, the 1st place winner was "Best in Show", 2nd place was, well, I don't know exactly what category that was. Third place was best mod using only stock, off the shelf parts.

5. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

THEkorean are you going to enter Gearbox???

6. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

Thank you for the reply, they have been helpful, im going to the bank today to make some deposits so i can purchase tickets online.
    @The_Beast
    I'm working hard on Gearbox ATM trying to get it done before September is up which may/may not happen. If i'm not satisfied with Gearbox by the end of September i may enter Black & White as long as its cool with the folks over @ CPU magazine.

7. The_Beast

Why does CPU magazine care, it's your case

8. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

They cant publish PCs that have been published elsewhere, and I dont wana put my January publication at risk. I have to make sure that entering competitions doesnt violate the contract :)

9. The_Beast

Well, it looks like I will be picking up the January issue of CPU, just to say "I know that guy" :)

10. Zort

Zort What's a Dremel?

Newegg still has its photo album up from the 2k5 lanfest. You can see pictures of many of the casemod contest entries here:

http://images10.newegg.com/uploadfilesfornewegg/promo/Lanfest2k5/pictures/Album5.htm

First place winner was the UV glowy cube in rows five and six.
    Second place winner (me. woot!) was the acrylic obelisk in row eight.
    Third place winner was (I think) the lian li case in row 12, center column.

Really, all of the mods looked better in person than in the pics, especially true of the 1st place mod, which emitted a nice subdued, soft violet glow. It looked like a magic ice cube.

11. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

OMG that looks like such a cool event!! This will be my first real LAN party, so I'm freaking exited!
    Was Paul Chapelo (Crimson Sky, the one with the flight sim mod) competing?! He is an amazing modder, and i wouldn't believe that he didn't place if he was competing. I hope i meet some famous modders this year so i can get my Dremel autographed :D
    Hope the competition is tough haha i better work hard

12. Zort

Zort What's a Dremel?

No, he was one of the judges.

13. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

i see, that's awesome!
    I hope i see some of yall @ the lanfest 2k7 ill be the 17 year old Korean dude with either Gearbox or Black & White Wavemaster. If you see me come say hello!

14. Zort

Zort What's a Dremel?

See you there! I'll be the guy next to the three and a half foot tall black and green obelisk, assuming I can make it.

15. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

so any of yall here yet?

16. THRASHER2

THRASHER2 Pimpin' Deals 24/7

I went and to the Newegg Lanfest :clap:

The Spinner Did well there > I will upload pic's later :rock:

17. Teyber

Teyber ******

any news? i didn't make it... :( i hear it was in san bernadino? i live in claremont. i will definatly want to go once im done with my next mod. Rtx is, well, i think 3 people would have a hard tiem carrying it XD

18. Zort

Zort What's a Dremel?

Here is a pic from the Lanfest of the three finalists.

[​IMG]

19. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

whats soo specail with the one on the left?