1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development Next step from Pascal?

Discussion in 'Software' started by inzane86, 26 Dec 2004.

1. inzane86

inzane86 engineer with an axe

I am learning programming on my own and until now I have learned mostly pascal but i want to go over to something more powerful and complex.
    I have tried C, C++, And Very very little of Java.
    Java looked very complicated. I have looked at Java tutorials but they seem complicated compared to Pascal or c++.
    I'm kinda confused. Which language should I chose to continue.
    I don't like VB, It would turn me into a lazy coder.

2. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

Java is a lot more complicated than Pascal, but that's true with any programming language which is on the same level as Java. I'd say C++ would be as hard to learn as Java, but personally, I can see Java lasting longer than C++. Also, my mum learned how to program in Java when she only knew a bit about computers. It took her a while but she's a certified programmer now, so even if it seems hard at the beginning, eventually you'll crack it. :thumb:

3. inzane86

Thx for the tip.
    I'l take a closer look to Java now. :D

4. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

some people would say the logical step from pascal, would be object pascal (delphi).

i will hunt these people, and burn them.

C++ easyer to learn than java.... this is always an intresting question as oak (before java was called java) was based on C++.

Myself i think java is cleaner, and nicer than C++.

But with C++ you can learn C (non object orientated) first, this makes it nice and easy to get your head round object aproach to coding (and design).

The problem with java is you have to be comfortable with the idea of objects, but when you've already mastered an imperative language, this is an adjustment.

so if i were you i would learn C/C++ first then java. The life of Java is an intresting quesiton, its yet to take off as much as it should, and C# is taking ground from C++.

But once you know one language, you should find it easy to learn others. So have at it :)

(my way, would be learn Assembly (macro), then C, then C++, then Java, then functional langauges.)

5. inzane86

Thnx for the advice. I think I have a book on C somewhere but before that I will read some tutorials because the book starts in great detail and has little or no examples.

6. Dinh

Dinh What's a Dremel?

Delphi? :idea:

7. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

I gave fair warning.

*gets some tourches + pitchforks*

8. inzane86

We are going to make a fire :naughty: :naughty:

Read the POST next time. :sigh:

(reminds me of the Amish, boil up some tear) :p

Last edited: 26 Dec 2004
  9. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

Hey hey hey! Nothing wrong with Delphi! One of the finest RAD languages I know. :thumb:

10. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

*BANG* theres one
    *BANG* there's another.

this is the 4th year i've had to use this **** piss-ant language.

its bug ridden, syntax botchalism crap.
    Its slow, inconsistant, and more bugs than an early version of SSH1.

11. inzane86

Code:
    #include <stdio.h>

void main() {
        printf("Hello world\n");
    }

ok this code works but i don't understand why there is void main() I found out that void declares a empty return type or something.
    I still remember something like int main() and return 0; in the end.
    And my compiler dosen't like void either it wants an itegrer to be returned. but why should/can/whatever be it void.

http://cplus.about.com/od/beginnerctutoria1/l/aa010602a.htm
    this is where i found the tutorial.

12. John Cena

John Cena What's a Dremel?

The void main is the main function in the program. When the program is executed, void main will be the FIRST function the program will call.

Heres my guide

Pascal > VB or Java > C.Net or VB.net

The next step from Pascal should be VB. Because it helps you understand objected oriented programming etc.

Or You could also try Java which is way easier than C++.

I don't recomend that you do C++ because its hard and will be extinct in a few years.
    The Hottest language right now is .Net Technolgies. VB.NET and C Sharp.Net

The cool thing is you can even program websites using it and it has built in web controls for web designing that makes life easy.

13. inzane86

VB is totaly not what I want It's sooooo ****** slow.
    And I like low level languages but not Assembler thats a bit too low level for me :p

And I understand that

void main()

is the main function but is it not

int main()

so the app will return 0 if completed

using return 0;

14. John Cena

John Cena What's a Dremel?

using void main opens the console mode and writes "hello" and then waits for user input so the command prompt can close

using int main opens the console mode and writes "hello" and then quickly closes without waiting for user input

The first method allows you to see that it actually wrote "hello", the second method quickly closes before you can even read the screen

Atleast thats how I think it works.

BTW VB is not THAT slow.

If really want to learn C++, Learn C Sharp Instead. C Sharp is like java but its SUPER SUPER FAST. Plus its easier too

15. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

Use Borland's Engine. :D

16. Tizz0r

Tizz0r What's a Dremel?

C has been around for 30+ years, and you can write pretty much anything you want in it. C++ has been around for about 20+ years and is also still being used. One reason for the continued use of C/C++ is the speed at which the programs will execute. Although as TheAnimus pointed out C# is becoming very popular, and that is because from what I've heard it is managed code. Don't quote me on this, but from what understood you don't have to worry about allocating memory or checking buffers and the such. (Someone who knows C# feel free to correct me). I'm not sure of this, but I think C# is pretty much a Windows only language, but I could also be wrong about this. If it were a Windows only language then then C/C++ will be around much much longer. Most *nix programs are written in C/C++. Not to mention operating systems are also writen in C/C++. So don't be casting C/C++ into it's grave just yet, because it is still the best language for that job.

Yes, for Windows applications the .NET languages are deffinitely popular, but if you want to program for other platforms then you should probably look for another language. Java is probably the best for portability and is also quite popular. I think Java will be around for a while because it is a good universal language that should run on most systems without too much modification.

So, if you go the C/C++ route, I suggest learning C first.
    Another way to chose a language is, as a co-worker tells me, is to do the monster test (that is if you want to make a career out of programing). Go to Moster.com and do a search for the language you are thinking of learning. If more than 10-15 job listings come up, then it's probably worth learning.

Sorry for the long post, just my 2 cents.

17. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

well said Tizz0r.

WireFrame, i was.

as for the void main () thing
    main is the entry point.
    it returns a "void" (nothing)
    you could also write it as main (void) - This has no params.
    You can find on say windows, that you don't have to have a void param, you can have an array (whatever you put after the exe name on the command line).

I would also mention learning VB now is 100% pointless, its dead, no need for it now.

for assembler, after you've learnt C you can go striaght to say MASM, no need to bother with stupid object orientated paradigm.

18. inzane86

Thx for all your posts I have decided to learn C now. And maybe C++ later.
    And I really don't like win only languages.