1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows NFS Shift Demo

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by DarkLord7854, 19 Sep 2009.

1. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Any of you guys tried it? Was released today.

I was excited to see if they'd finally got a decent game out.. well.. I was disappointed.

It's basically a ProStreet remake, except you're stuck in cockpit view, the interior is more functional, and it "realistically" (i.e. exaggerates) motion blurring, bumps, G-forces, etc.

I thought the handling system was a pile of crap, the "assist" system a real PITA and I just shut them all off, but then it meant I was understeering into every wall I could find, and somehow, you can't imitate a drift or powerslide by downshifting and punching the gas, nor pulling the "handbrake" at least when I attempted. Most corners also had to be taken at 20-30mph, even with a Lotus Elise, the Viper was.. special.. real hard to control, though that could be because of the keyboard.

Why can't we have pressure-sensitive buttons for the arrow keys or something? Sigh.

Anyways.. I didn't enjoy it very much, though the Lotus was fairly fun to drive with on the small course, but the big course was just.. EH.

Oh and the "corner cutting" is just pure b/s. I put two tires on the grass on the inside of a corner because the AI shoved me, and my lap time was instantly invalidated, seriously? :miffed:

2. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

I have to agree. For me the handling just killed the game. It seemed like anything above a Tier 1 car just had an urge to oversteer itself into a wall. The cockpit view (which normally bothers me) was bearable in this game; it would bother me the first few minutes I played and then I would get used to it.

3. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

wow that was crap..

4. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

Agreed.

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

the game is excellent, stop playing it like it was that tractionless skiddy-widdy arcade bollocks, GRiD and instead try play it like it was GTR2.

brake EARLY and gently, shift down and approach the corner wide, steer into the apex with little/no throttle just cutting the rumble strip befored gently powering out and through for victory while being weary of body roll.

6. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

Comparing it to GTR2 is blasphemy! :D

But really, it's not good.

7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

its far from GTR2 but it is a phenominal engine, i dont think even GTR2 can calculate tyre skipping. but srsly tho, once you get past the terrible menus its an exhilerating drive.

8. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Why are menus becoming so retarded? are the menus the same in the full game?

Ive played the demo quite a bit, ive yet to try it with my G25 but after some serious tinkering with the settings for the 360 joypad, i got on quite well with the game,

I dont like the excessive blur in the cockpit mode, i dont know whether its supposed to be realistic, but ive driven fast cars and the interior didnt get all blurry!

I might pick it up if its ever going cheap, but wouldnt pay full whack for it.

9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

@Gunsmith: So more Forza than Grid then? that sounds good.

10. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

dont know ive never bothered with forza, but if people are arguing over whats better GT5 or FORZA then id say that SHIFT is better then them both when all the aids are turned off