1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Nickel/silver plating on heatpipes?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Monkeyboy, 14 Feb 2007.

1. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Minimodder

is it possible to nickel or silver plate heatpipes and heatsinks for a motherboard? i don't fancy the copper on the mobo's i've been looking at and was wondering if anyone knew.

2. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

maybe......

i suspect it is possible, but i also suspect you might have much better luck taking it to a professional plater, perhaps your local jeweller can help you find a silver plater.

i am curious as to why you would, though.

oh, and i should say, you have the worlds coolest avatar :)

3. B[x]

B[x] What's a Dremel?

While I don't know if this is possible, I wouldn't recommend getting it nickel plated. These are approximate values that vary slightly based on temperature but compared to nickel, aluminum, copper, and silver are about 160%, 220%, and 350% more thermally conductive, respectively.

Here are some reference links so you know I'm not pulling numbers out of my ass. :hehe:
    http://environmentalchemistry.com/yogi/periodic/thermal.html
    http://www.efunda.com/materials/elements/TC_Table.cfm?Element_ID=Ni (requires a log-in after a few site views)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_thermal_conductivities

4. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

How about using chrome effect spray paint as used for cars, and just mask off the rest of the heatsink?

5. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Minimodder

i'm not crazy enough to do it myself! :hehe:
    i've been looking at local platers. i'm probably gonna take it in for an estimate as soon as i get the new board. i would have them chromed, but that's a little too shiny (heresy, i know). i probably will go with silver b/c of the thermals. i'll probably get some waterblocks plated as well...

thanks zidane, though it'll probably be changed in a few days...

6. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

My only concern is the gas/liquid inside the heatpipe could build pressure and make them explode during the plating process. They only need to withstand maybe 80 degrees C, so anything higher could be dangerous. Depends on how you do it I guess.

7. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Minimodder

yeah, that is something i was worrying about... as soon as i get a new board, i'm gonna ask about that...

8. synister

synister What's a Dremel?

i've always wanted to plate a heatsink in cadmium or zinc. too bad neither one can conduct heat very well.

9. guysy1110

guysy1110 What's a Dremel?

i think silver plating involves high temperatures.. dads a jeweller.. and i would be very worried about the liquid inside the heatpipe expanding.

10. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I've seen some low-temp gold and silver plating done with electrolysis. I'm betting that it would work.

11. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

If you were going for silver, you'd also need a protective coating of some kind to prevent it from oxidising.

12. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Minimodder

that's one of the reasons i was considering nickle plating...

btw, love dr. hobo avatar...

13. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

You could use nickel to electroplate it yourself. Or you could plate it with tin using an electroless tin solution, like used for tinning PC boards. It wouldn't be very shiny but it would be a pleasant gray color. If you don't care if it is blindingly bright, i.e. you only want it to match other silver-colored components, then tin would be the cheapest and easiest.

Also keep in mind that the copper probably comes with some sort of thin lacquer or clear coat to prevent oxidation. That would have to be removed first.

Also, about thermal conduction...it won't matter. Even if the thermal conductivity of a material only microns thick mattered, you could just leave the ends where the pipes make contact as unplated.