1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Nikon D7100 announced

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by dead beat, 23 Feb 2013.

1. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

I went ahead and just ordered one along with a 35mm f1.8 so I should have an idea of what this thing is like in a week or so.

Last edited: 22 Apr 2013
  2. eddie_dane

I got delivery of my 7100 just before a gig so it was a trial by fire and I can say more about it later:
    What I liked:
    Image quality
    High ISO is comparable to the D700 and I find that amazing on a ASP-C sensor.
    size/weight - it feels like a toy compared to my D700 but in a good way
    dual card slots - I shot all night in RAW and never had to change cards (2 x 32GB SD's)
    video capability - I'm not a video shooter by any means but the option is cool - I'm on a serious learning curve on this
    The screen on the back is amazing
    6fps is nice but slows down rapidly after about 8 frames in RAW. I'm sure I could shoot away on JPG or if I had 95/mbs cards (I'm using 45/mbs cards)

What I don't like:
    Metering and Focusing controls are all combined - I missed a bunch of shots because I wasn't in the right shoot mode. I'm used to dedicated controls for everything and can do it all with my eyes closed. It's the nature of making such a compact package and will be the hardest thing for me to get used to.

Different battery - this was inevitable but for a long time, I had multiple models using the same batteries, now I have two different sets.

I'll post some pics when I have them done.

3. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

When you say ISO is comparable to the D700, do you mean close to identical, or better, or marginally worse?

If it's roughly similar, I imagine high-ISO images downsized to the D700's native 12MP resolution would be smooth as butter. :thumb:

4. eddie_dane

I would say it's as good but different. The pixel size is so much smaller and so much more numerous, the specular highlights almost look like glitter when I compare the two. Zooming in 100% on between the two is very different.

The detail is astonishing and a bit disorientating when comparing to the D700. I think this is a good thing for me because I would rather have too much detail that I can deal with in processing to get a look I want rather than not having enough detail with nothing to work with.

I think you are right, If you downsized they would be extremely similar but I haven't had enough time to process any of the images yet only pixel peep.

This sensor is not very forgiving to less-than-great lenses. I tried my new 35mm 1.8 on it and - wide open- there are some problems but at f2 - 4, I was impressed.

5. stonedsurd

Sounds like quite the reccommendation. I am not switching anytime soon because, kid of like you and the D700, I can adjust Canon menus o the fly with my eyes closed and I will not trade that for anything until Canon starts making potatoes.

6. eddie_dane

Right now, I look like a monkey trying to use a calculator adjusting the focus mode and metering. I'm sure it will become second-nature eventually but you can't do it without looking at the camera display. If the top display didn't have an illumination option, I might not be able to use this camera in concert photography.

I also hate the stacked controls for shooting modes that are locked by two separate means, but again, it's the price of smaller body and I'll just have to adjust.

Last edited: 27 Apr 2013
  7. stonedsurd

How important/useful is a smaller body? I can understand lighter, but I've never looked at my camera and thought "Boy, I wish this'd get smaller"

8. eddie_dane

I can't fit all my fingers on the body, I have big hands and it feels weird. With small primes, it's awesome, with long telephotos, not so much. I guess I would put it this way: If I was going on a trip, I would throw the 35mm 1.8 on this and that's all I would take and have a great time with it. But considering I'm going to be shooting weddings and concerts with it, as soon as a good 3rd party battery grip becomes available, I'm getting one.

It's about the size of my D50 from years ago but does a whole lot more. The screen alone is shows how much technology is shaping things. My God, if this thing could sync with flash up to 1/1250 second like the D50, it would be a portrait monster.

The lighter weight is an advantage all around.

Last edited: 28 Apr 2013
  9. stonedsurd

Why did sync speeds increase suddenly?

10. Prime

Prime New Member

Isn't the D50 1/500?

What about the Nikon battery grip, why not use the genuine one?

How is the low light performance?

I looked at buying a secondhand D700 but couldn't afford to replace all my DX lenses on top of that :sigh:

11. eddie_dane

Nikon used an electronic shutter on the d40 and d50. I've been able to sync mine to over 1/1000. The low light performance is very comparable to the d700. The Nikon grip seems overpriced but I may get it.

12. eddie_dane

I've had some time to tinker with the files from Friday night and I would slightly downgrade the ISO performance of the D7100 to about a half a stop less than the D700. With my standard settings in Lightroom, the noise adjustments turn these images slightly muddy fairly quickly. I realized that these images do NOT need any sharpening (the default for my settings is a value of 25 in Lightroom). The combination of sharpening and noise reduction causes bad things to happen specifically to skin tones.

Once sharpening was adjusted to 0, the noise reduction worked pretty well but not as good as the D700 in my opinion. Still, for a DX camera it performs better than any DX I have ever used. I went as high as 3200 ISO and the images are certainly usable. I tend to not go that high on the D700 either but the files out of the D700 at that ISO are easier to correct.

I'm sure as I use it more, I will learn more "do's" and "don'ts" regarding post processing and some of my experience could totally be on me.

13. wuyanxu

wuyanxu still wants Homeworld 3

have you considered using the mask slider for sharpening? it will mask smaller noise while sharpening the more defined lines.

14. eddie_dane

I uploaded some shots from that first night. It was a horrific mix of light sources. The first two are a good comparison between ISO 2000 and ISO 3200 (I never went above 3200)

ISO 2000
    [​IMG]
    csa.spring.gala-172 by shutterdoggy, on Flickr

ISO 3200
    [​IMG]
    csa.spring.gala-173 by shutterdoggy, on Flickr

This stage was lit by orange/yellow stage lights.

One more that shows the detail this camera can get at ISO 2000. The detail on this one when zoomed in is pretty astonishing.
    [​IMG]
    csa.spring.gala-166 by shutterdoggy, on Flickr

15. eddie_dane

I'm having issues with my D7100 and having to send it back. I hope I just got a bad sample and it's not an issue with Nikon quality with this model.

16. stonedsurd

Yikes. What was the problem?

17. eddie_dane

The first wedding I used it at this past weekend, I couldn't get my 70-200 to lock onto the mount until after several tries. I borrowed another identical model from another photographer and it went on fine so I figured it must be something with my lens. Once I got it locked, the top display just flashed like it didn't recognize the lens. I switched to the 35mm and then back and it worked fine. Again, dismissed it to my lens, maybe the contacts where dirty even though it works fine on my D700.

Fast forward to a few days ago when I turn switch the camera "off" and it still focuses and fires the shutter. Sometimes it would turn off only after I press the shutter. It didn't do it every time but about 50% of the time, when I turn it off, it doesn't turn off at all. That was all it took to go ahead and send it back. I just got it and if I'm already having issues, I could only see it getting worse.

The whole point of this camera was to act as a backup for my D700 which is getting very old and deserves to be sent to Nikon for cleaning/service. But I never had the chance because it was always needed. If I can't depend on my backup, what's the point of having it?

Fortunately, I buy all my stuff from B&H in New York. So 1 minute on their website and I have a postage-paid label emailed to me to send it back and have it replaced.

Hopefully, this is just a bad sample from Nikon and the replacement won't have any issues.

18. stonedsurd

Sounds weird as balls. I hope you have better luck with the replacement body. :thumb:

19. Prime

Prime New Member

Sorry to hear you are having issues.

I decided to not to go for the 7100, so I hope your problems don't turn out to be a good reason.

I had a good look in and talk to our local camera shop. The D7100 is just too expensive for me. I can't afford or justify that extra 25% on the price. I went with an excellent second hand 7000 instead. only disappointment is the lack of a WiFi dongle.

Incidentally I believe the newer model has a much shorter warranty. :/

20. eddie_dane

Yeah, the deals you can get on the D7000 are crazy good now so I don't blame you. This is the first bit of Nikon kit i've ever had to send back so I don't suspect it's endemic but I won't know until I get my replacement. Honestly, I went with the 7100 mainly for the focus system which is crucial in my concert photography (there are other features that are nice but not deal makers). Otherwise, it's hard to justify the added price considering.