1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nintendo announces 3DS for 25th March

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 20 Jan 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

I cant imagine there's a big difference between the rating organisations in different countries. in an ideal world, media gets rated once and then no need for region locking. surely the money saved by no requirement for region locking could pay for the central rating body?

3. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

'does on sale'

You can delete this post after you correct that, just thought I'd point out the typo.

4. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

I really hope the rumors of the PSP2 getting announced end of this month are true, that's what I'm waiting for.

5. mpr

mpr What's a Dremel?

Wouldn't it be funny if the PSP2 launched @ $199 or less. Could be the first time Nintendo has the most expensive handheld. Somehow I doubt it though, if Nintendo pushes 250 I can see Sony trying for 299. I'll have both eventually more than likely, but even if they came out side by side, the 3DS will be in my house way before the PSP.

6. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Screw region locking, Nintendo of Europe usually takes too long to release anything, not to mention having to pay at least 1.5times the cost for games in NZ compared to America.
    While Steam isn't perfect, it is the closest thing to a gaming platform that acknowledges a world market, even when it segments regions you can just get overseas friends to gift to your account. Looks like I will be sticking with PC gaming for the time being.

7. alf-

alf- Minimodder

really can't see these selling in any great number.

its little time since christmas, so i would imagine plenty of people have already bought one of the existing DS's and aren't really looking for new one that costs over hundred more.

229? seriously, a handheld console costing more than a xbox 360 and close to a PS3.
    i work in a store selling things like DS's, and our biggest customer is parents buying for their kids, i really can't see parents paying an extra hundred pound for a 3DS,
    people are still apprehensive over 3D, some totally dislike it and some just don't care, so i doubt parents are going to be queuing up to buy this 3DS

8. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Will the 3DS play the old DS games? That is something I've been wondering along time but not got around to researching. If it does then I'll upgrade immediately!

9. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

£39.99 for games and £229 for the console? No, thanks.

10. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

I'd like to see if that price disparity on the games bears out. There are already launch titles listed on Game at 39.99, nothing on gamestation yet.

But yes, day 1 purchase ~£250 with a game? looking at the titles, I'd say Nintendo are targetting the mature gamer rather than the junior player. Could be their undoing in my opinion, 3D seems a little pointless as a selling point on a unit that small. I certainly won't be getting one for my littleun in the forseeable future.

11. Matticus

Matticus ...

I have a feeling the price is disproportionately high for the hardware compared to the older DS models, and I wouldn't be surprised if its linked to the region locking, all in an attempt to lessen the impact of piracy. Also the now increased VAT rate meaning that it needs to be rounded up again, can't have something's rrp being £223.67 etc.

Quite a few people bought a DS lite with the sole purpose of getting a game card/cart and pirating games or playing old gameboy games. While that sort of thing drives sales for a small section of the market who probably would never bought one, it is no good if the profit margins on the console itself are not high enough. That extra bit of profit per unit shouldn't put off the parents buying it for their kids, but could recoup losses due to piracy.

12. dactone

dactone dact-one

what a complete rip off!

13. Manu_Otaku

Manu_Otaku ManuOtaku

I only will say.... is 3D...... on a Handled.......and Without glasses, it will sell bazillions

14. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Your sooooo wrong, there are plenty of mugs and die hard fans queuing to get these.

15. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

3ds + 1 game is the same price as ps3 + move? No, thanks :)

16. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

I don't think it's as simple as that. It's also a new piece of tech, yes at a premium, initially.

17. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I'm always a big opponent of piracy, but come on, that's one of the weakest excuses yet. They really expect people to believe region locking is to keep an American like myself from buying non-ESRB rated games because I may bypass an age restriction?

Just be honest: it's to stop people pirating games which are released in other countries. Look at how often the Japanese Pokemon White and Black was pirated because it wasn't released in any other market yet. Who cares if that impacts legitimate gamers from importing and playing foreign games? One of the anti-piracy methods I can't agree with.

18. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

I suspect region-locking is primarily so they can set different pricing structures in different parts of the world based on what they think people there will pay and to enforce those pricing structures by making it impossible (supposedly) to play cheaper imported games.

In short, british people have more money, they can pay double.

19. Repo

Repo What's a Dremel?

Region locking is all about screwing the consumer and is nothing about piracy or age ratings. Very lame excuse that Nintendo!

As for 3D? I'd like to see how it works gaming wise but I'm not expecting great things TBH.

20. Gh0stDrag0n

Gh0stDrag0n Unleash the Beast!

My wife just preorderd 2. :)

Tags: Add Tags