1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nintendo announces new Wii peripheral

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Jul 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

So it'll be even easier to play by just flicking my wrists?

Great going, nintendo...

The only people who still play the Wii with full gestures are OAPs, Kids, and Women.

3. p3ri0d

p3ri0d What's a Dremel?

Another thing to get money from players, bah oh well...

4. adamc

adamc What's a Dremel?

I think if good developers other than Nintendo make use of 1:1 control (come on Lucasarts) this will be great! Also depends how much that little widget costs, of course.

5. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

This will no doubt result in even more dumbed down graphics... The little wii only has so much processing capability and by now having to process extra physics in relation to whatever new game they come up with will mean less cpu resource available for other elements.

We have already seen games where motion is core to the input method resulting in low quality graphics.

Gameplay can only go so far when your characters/interactive world looks like its being rendered on a Commodore 64 !

6. Timmy_the_tortoise

Just a question...

Who honestly thinks that the Wiimote provides a more immersive experience?

7. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Great, so we can get just as bored of it but more precisely...

8. Romirez

Romirez What's a Dremel?

So.... is this going to be backward compatible with old games, or will it need to be coded in to new ones to work? If it makes the motion sensing in Red Steel work properly then it won't be a bad idea, so long as it's around the £5-10 mark.

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

what about the numchuk?

10. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

I suppose the Plus will have a port in the bottom allowing you to plug the Nunchuck in...

11. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

My brother and I spent most of Sunday playing Lego Starwars, Wii Sports and Worms, and we had a blast. We chilled, talked about stuff, drank tea and later on, beer.

I think people who don't get the point of the Wii, who complain bitterly and at great length about it, are also the same people who don't have friends.

On topic, a more precise controller would be nice, but I haven't played anything yet they requires it. Perhaps when Force Unleashed come around it'll be or more use.

12. Timmy_the_tortoise

Was that a dig at me? Because I can assure you that I have friends. And I can assure you that I get the Wii.

I own a Wii.. I just don't use it, because it is a party console... and I don't really have many parties. Playing the Wii alone is just boring, end of.

What I don't get is how changing the flick of a thumb to the flick of a wrist is adding immersion.. It's the same, basically, just a slightly different form of input.

13. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

this means it can detect twisting on the Z axis....and other twisting motions better... sweeet!!!
    about the graphics going bad because of physics... the wii has a cpu and a gpu, so i very much doubt this accessory will affect its graphics.... plus, the wii has about double the power the game cube had, and it had very nice graphics in certain games....
    fun does not come exclusively from graphics, a game could have the most insane and lifelike graphics but still be utter crap and unfun.

14. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Well then, you don't get the wii, do you? :sigh:

15. Timmy_the_tortoise

I do. It is a social console, for playing with friends and family at parties.

Immersion is nothing to do with it.

Gimmick is everything to do with it.

16. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

It wasn't a dig at you, rather people who write off the Wii out of hand.

Immersion is a tricky one, before it was available we sold on the idea of waving swords around dungeons with 1:1 accuracy, blocking with our shield nunchuck... but this never quite happened. What we ended up with is a system which approximates our gestures no matter how large or small.

Immersion is up to us. If you play Wii Sports, (tennis for example) I and the people I play with find it's not only more natural to use full gestures, but more satisfying. Button mashing imo is the sole domain of other consoles such as the Xbox and Playstation.

17. Timmy_the_tortoise

True...

Only the Wii can caim the arm flailing domain. :p

18. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

Very well put.

The Wii was not made to be a gimmick. When it sold so many units because of it's abilities, people decided to call it a gimmick to explain it's success.

19. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

wrt the graphics argument, how many people still play games like Command and Conquer (all of them) and the Civ franchise (inc Pirates!) because of the gameplay, not the graphics. If it plays well then who cares about the graphics, if it looks pretty but is shite, who cares about the graphics? In the first case, you'll go on playing it, in the second, you won't care about the graphics, cos it'll stay on the shelf!

Andy

20. Timmy_the_tortoise

Whether intended or not.. The whole think reeks of gimmickery.

Tags: Add Tags