1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nintendo cannot meet Christmas demand

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 Oct 2007.

1. fini

fini What's a Dremel?

"The issue is not a lack of production. The issue is we went in with a curve that was aggressive, but the demand has been substantially more than that. And the ability to ramp up production and to sustain it is not a switch that you flick on."

Does that quote read to anyone else as:

"The issue is not a lack of production. The issue is a lack of enough production"

?

2. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I posted a thread in the gaming section asking for recommendations for Wii games. The answers were Zelda, Wii sports, RE4 and Mario Paper. Future releases were Mario Galaxy and Metroid. So in a year thats 6 games the Wii owners on the forum can recommend one not even released yet?

Now i have RE4 on the PS2 and tbh i think its very over rated as a game tbh. Zelda was great and Wii sports is fun but has no depth to it to lift it beyond a party game. I bought Ravin Rabbis and returned it the next day as it was dire so i have little faith that wario ware will be any better. Mario paper doesn't really appeal but i am going to give it a go as there really is nothing else out there. Granted there is a back catalogue of games to play but paying £178 for an emulator is a bit hard to justify.

When the Wii works and the movement controls are used properly it can be great but most games are just waggle ware where the actions on screen don't really match your movement.

3. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I dont know anyone with a Wii or Ps3. Man, nintendo and sony must suck then going on that.

4. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

The same could be asked of nintendo games, whats new? infact of the console itself what exactly is so new your bragging about it?

Nintendo games never change I could play Zelda or mario on the N64 or gamecube play it on the wii and the only thing that changes is instead of using an analogue stick, I wave my hand about a bit, wow thanks I get to pay to play the same games again just in a different manner, infact look at the lineups of the gamecube and the wii and in the majority they look exactly the same.

As for the hardware its a slightly upgraded gamecube in a different box....well done Nintendo great job on making the same old console with the same old games.

Now thats some real innovation.....

5. Major

Major Guest

You just wait until GTA4 and MGS4 get released, the sales of the PS3 will rocket so high other consoles will find it impossible to reach it..

6. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

/\ or even Home or Littlebigplanet for that matter.....

You buy a console for the lifespan of the console. It takes developers time to develope games (developements nowadays can take up to 2-3 years for certain games or even longer for really big AAA titles), so it makes sense that major games are just now (or will be by Xmas) coming out for the Wii and PS3.....

7. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Okay so it may not have a definitve killer game (thats a mtter of presonal choice anyway) but I reckon the barrel of fun you can have just with Wii Sports is worth it in itself. I had mine at a party at the weekend and there was a queue of adults and kids wanting a shot all night. Any of them who didn't have their own were vowing to buy one, whether or not they do remains to be seen. My local Megastore and Superstore (other retailers are available) are sticking up "Out of Stock, More Coming Soon" messages so I think the pre-Christmas rush is starting - probably a wise move given the comments from Nintendo.

I'd imagine that Nintendo don't really care if some folk buy one, play it for a bit and then let it gather dust after a while, as long as they ship their units whilst its getting good word of mouth press. As far as I'm concerned, I use the Wii for co-op playing and keep the serious gaming for my PC. I've managed to resist the 360 so far but now that Halo3 is getting good reviews I might make the jump - especially if Microsoft decide to hammer another nail in the PS3 coffin and drop their prices again.

8. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Like Joe Martin has said, the game isn't perfect and deserves an 8/10-9/10. Don't get me wrong, I've played the game myself and the game is great, but it's no Halo 1.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/10/02/details_on_the_new_ps3_sku/1

9. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

I have to agree with what Reggie says, there is nothing new on the Xbox.. I bought mine a while back, along with the original Halo, Saints Row and Dead Rising. Halo was a yawn-fest - yet another generic shoot 'em up - a lot of the xbox games seem to follow a similar path, most of them are shoot 'em ups or a boring derivative in some way or another. Saints Row was just a copy of GTA without the fun bits, and Dead Rising was pretty much innaccessible for everyone apart from those that have a 360 controller surgically attached to themselves (I've heard of computers generating enemies but DR just took the piddle)

My Wii, in its first few hours, has had a lot more game play than my 360 has in months.

10. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

What do you mean by Dead Rising being innaccessible? It's a game you could beat in a couple hours, but required multiple play throughs to actually get eveything.

Saint's Row; while a GTA clone, is a very good one. If the online would have been cleaned up better I'de still be playing it (Online is very, very laggy half the time. I'm guessing the game is not very good at deciding the optimal host or something, no clue.).

As for Nintendo not meeting demand, they haven't been able to do so since launch. I however think this is a scare tactic to push sales higher going into christmas. Wasn't it Nintendo who told us production would be rampted up for Christmas to meet demand? Now....they are saying they can't? It sounds iffy though, Wii's are hard enough to find as is, so why would they tell us it will change, and then say it won't?

Last edited: 2 Oct 2007
  11. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

This was really the selling point to me, I guess. When I got my Wii, I looked at it in the idea of "solo game vs. community game." When you want to play 360 with your buddies, what games are there? LOTS, assuming you sit in your living room and they sit in theirs. That means that if you want ACTUAL social time, you're pretty limited - it can never be an added "pick up a controller and let's play a round!" option. It's one player looking at the screen, whilst the rest stand idly. Interaction, both between that person and the system and that person and his mates, is low.

In the meantime, grab the Wii and a couple extra wiimotes. When the guys come over, everyone has a brew or three and wario-ware, wii sports, or tiger woods golf comes out. People act a little crazy. People have fun. The game system becomes an addition to the party, rather than something that can be done only to the exclusion of it. Interaction between multiple players and the system, as well as they and the people around them (often laughing and poking fun as you throw your invisible bowling ball and whiff to the gutter) increases drastically.

The 360 will NEVER be able to offer that aside from one or two very unusual games - it's just not what they're meant for. Most people just got their first real experience of multi-player-in-the-same-room-on-the-same-screen gaming with Guitar hero, and you needn't look very far to realize why it turned heads and how successful it really was - it took the "sit on your butt alone and hold a controller" image away.

I play my hard-core games on my PC, and I think I always will - FPS on a console (aside from Metroid, where the controls are radically adapted sufficiently to suit without feeling dumbed down) never has been my thing, and I'm not one for locking myself into the same graphical output for 5 years. Not and pay the "new" price for it, anyhow. So while I do think both the PS3 and 360 are good systems, neither one really does something "different" than what I have in a PC - and for just a couple games that really DO differ, I can wait and pick up the system down the line. Of course, YMMV based on need - and I'm sure if I didn't have the PC I do, I might think a little differently.

12. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

Re: Dead Rising - For you perhaps, but I just can't play it. I'm not very skilled in console gaming, and I have immense trouble getting past the mad people in the car bit between malls. It's stupid.

Saints Row isn't terrible, don't get me wrong, but it's no San Andreas. Now THAT was fun.

13. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Dead Rising is the main reason I'm planning to get a 360. A game like that sounds like heaven to me.

As for the Wii, it really is great for social gaming. Me and Hannah had some mates over for the weekend and Saturday night was great. My friend was short on cash so a night on the tiles was off the cards, but a cheap bottle of vodka (£10 for 1.5 Litre?!) and a bottle of coke back at home was great when we started playing some Wii drinking games. Drinking Wario Ware Endurance and Drunken Wii Bowling was awesome.

Tags: Add Tags