1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nintendo DS Lite

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by K, 26 Jan 2006.

1. K

K 528491

What kind of flash cart? I've seen a Super Card with a 1gig SD card running DS games in the flesh on my friend's. He had to flash the firmware of the DS but it can be achieved even easier with a NDS Pass Card in the DS slot.

2. riggs

riggs ^_^

It's a 1Gig eCube cart...

Sorry, didn't really phrase that well, what I meant was that it'll work on a DS no problem, but you still need to use a normal GBA to actually flash the cart.
    But even still, I don't think I'd use a DS for GBA games...would still play them on my SP.

So, are you saying that by flashing the firmware, you can play DS homebrew/roms just using a nomal GBA flash cart? If so, that's pretty cool as I dont really like the look of those Pass Card wotnots.

3. K

K 528491

Ah right, I'm with ya. Trust me though, you would probably choose the DS over the SP... I have many times now. The screens are just so infinitely better it really makes the front-lit SP look pretty crap to be honest!

But yeah, that is entirely possible. Mate had about 30 games on it. Quite smart. I'd definitely invest in one at some point for the emulation and homebrew aspects.

I don't think I'd flash my DS though. At first I thought 'Those pass cards look too bulky', then I remembered that you'd never even see it when you're playing on it.

lol

4. riggs

riggs ^_^

Had a quick look into the SD based flash cart...very cool! I assume that all you need to do is plug the SD card into a card reader, copy the files over then stick it back into the cart (ie, there's no actual 'flash' software required)?

And you've got a good point about the Passme, it'll be hidden round the back. Although it would be nice to just flash the firmware...I wonder if there's a way to backup the original?

5. K

K 528491

Yep that's exactly what you do. My friend then demonstrated it on my gf's non-flashed DS and it just came up on the game select screen as a blank GBA game that couldn't be read or played.

No idea about how you even go about flashing the DS itself, personally. So I don't know, I guess there's gotta be original versions somewhere. I'd go with the Passme thingie.

I don't advocate videogame piracy and the guy in question is such a hardcore gamer he must spend thousands on games every year, but it was dead impressive to see that Animal Crossing even worked DS to DS with no problems whatsoever.

6. riggs

riggs ^_^

From what I've read (quickly), you download a hacked firmware & copy it to the flash cart. You then need to remove a 'pink sticker'(?) from underneath the battery cover, and place a screw driver (or something metal) into of of the holes (which connects x2 contacts on the PCB) - the update then starts, so long as the metal object is held in place (even if it loses contact, the update process just pauses rather than screwing up - quite cool imo).

Nintendo are one of the few companies I would never dream of ripping off...I'll be getting a flash cart for the homebrew software :rock:

7. K

K 528491

Sounds painless enough.

I remember reading somewhere there's a port of SCUMM that runs on the DS and utilises the touch screen. HEAVEN!

8. dsgirl

dsgirl What's a Dremel?

you should get one until it is at the good rate =)

9. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

PlayAsia finally have the Navy DS Lite back in stock for £116 + £22 P&P (UPS delivery). Any idea what the chances are of getting stung by customs when using PlayAsia? They're a pretty large company so I'm assuming they'll have to be responsible and label everything correctly. :(

What takes the biscuit is no way of estimating what the bill will come to. Every time I've been hit my customs I get some random figure and then the shipping company charges me for the luxury of being charged by customs. Madness :eeek:

On a side note, I've heard HM Customs & Excise will soon be allowing every household a set amount of duty free parcels each year. Hopefully sooner than later.

10. K

K 528491

I ordered my gf's white original DS a while ago from Play-Asia and I got stung on import tax. It came to about £35 extra. This is why I paid through the nose on eBay, because I got it within a few days and didn't have to worry about import tax.

If Play-Asia offer it, you might wanna consider EMS shipping.

11. riggs

riggs ^_^

Does the person you bought from sell a lot of them? Don't happen to know his/her eBay ID do you...I'm sooo tempted to get one now rather than wait for the UK release.

12. K

K 528491

Doesn't seem to be selling any right now it would seem.

Yesasia does them for about the same price I paid. It's really steep though: http://global.yesasia.com/en/Browse/ListAll.aspx?section=games&did=10356&code=c&

£170ish is a lot, but that's all inclusive and you won't get taxed from them, as best as I know.

13. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Cheers, just checked eBay and the price for a Navy version is around £140 + £30 P&P.

With Play-Asia I'm looking at £140 inc. EMS speedpost (yes they do offer it, thanks for the heads-up). Seeing as I'm saving £30 anyway, maybe it's worth chancing customs?

14. K

K 528491

I think the chance might be worth taking. Someone on here has mentioned before that EMS seem to get skimmed over quite easily. Wouldn't take that as gospel, but hey. The worst that happens is you pay as much as elsewhere.

15. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

AND! Considering we spent £175 on them, the difference between that and the price Play Asia or Lik-Sang are offering seems far less attractive with the probable £30+.

16. riggs

riggs ^_^

Well, I think I'm gonna go the eBay route, and have narrowed it down to 2;
    This one - £160 total, shipped from UK, but low feedback and no PayPal buyer protection

...or

This one - £185 total, shipped from UK, better feedback and PayPal protection, 'free' game, screen protector(s) and UK ready plug.

What do you think? I'm thinking that the extra £25 is totally worth it for the 2nd one - would save me the hassle of having to sort out a game + UK plug adaptor.

17. riggs

riggs ^_^

Well, unless someone can point out a reason for me to not buy it, I'm gonna go with this one - same seller as the £185 deal above, but it's £5 cheaper, and you get to choose x2 games (instead of 1)!

That seems damn good imo, considering DS games are around £25 each...

And yeah, I know, his/her feedback isn't that high, but at least it's 100% positive, and I'd be covered upto £500 with PayPal.

Tags: