1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nintendo hands-on (p)Wiiview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 26 Oct 2006.

1. sn_85

sn_85 What's a Dremel?

oops my bad. i meant that nintendo wouldnt be losing money on system much like the GC situation.

2. inflatable

inflatable What's a Dremel?

This article confirms what I've been thinking about the Wii.. The hype wants us to believe it's a revolution and it will win this generation for Nintendo.. I've been thinking it's overhyped and that the novilty of that controller would wear of pretty quickly, leaving nothing new really, not even better graphics.. My predictions therefor are that the Wii won't do a whole lot better then the Gamecube last-gen, because nothing changes that much besides the controller, and that's not enough to get a lot more people to play the same old Nintendo games.. The Nintendo fans will buy it, and that's it..

But I would even question myself if I was a Nintendo fan, and already had a Gamecube, if only that controller was worth spending so much money on.. Unfortunatly you won't have much choice in the end as Nintendo won't support Gamecube anymore, so you're kindof force to buy a Wii..

Anyway.. PS3 will probably be #1 in sales again at the end of this generation, but it'll take some time to catch up to the Xbox 360.. The Xbox 360 will end up in 2nd place this generation, much closer to the PS3 then the 1st Xbox was to the PS2.. Generation after this one MS will will most likely take a serious headstart again as they will most like be the 1st to release a new Xbox again (my guess is arround 2009-2010)..

For me personally, I'm satisfied in a gaming-needs by my (high-end) PC and Xbox 360 for the time being.. No need to buy a PS3 anytime soon.. Maybe I'll buy it when it's cheaper and has more games I'm really interessted in that I can't get on my 360, and it also depends on how the online MP support plays out on the PS3.. And finally the Wii, well, I'm just not interested in Mario en Zelda games, so that's easy..

3. billy83

billy83 What's a Dremel?

the journalist wants to be a single dissenting voice, raining on everyone's parade. nintendo is trying something different, and we're getting a great innovative experience, for cheaper than other consoles/PCs. it's always going to be easy picking faults on a console that hasn't even been released yet; but then, enough articles have been written by intelligent people, who love videogames, that i can put up with this one negative guy. i mean, he complains about aliasing in zelda. i bet he was annoyed with the textures in ocarina of time.

4. Chuff_72

Chuff_72 What's a Dremel?

I was annoyed with textures in Ocarina of Time...

5. billy83

billy83 What's a Dremel?

you played ocarina of time, and you felt annoyance at the textures? personally i noted the poor textures, and then got lost in an awesome videogame. unfortunately, and i realise how this contradicts my first post; i think at the time, graphics didn't come better than ocarina of time. you had jagged messes with interspersed FMV in playstation games; or you had beautiful 3d games with dodgy textures in n64 games. it wasn't until the dreamcast, and PC games a year or two later, that these flaws started to be ironed out. my point is that given this guy not only decides the wii is a novelty because he's afraid of looking stupid (so why the 1000000000 photos of him throughout the article? humble people don't wear glasses like those); he complains about aliasing in zelda, when ocarina of time has already proven you don't need flawless graphics to become (subjectively) the best videogame ever - that's according to 1000000 such articles. did i mention i love exaggerating on the internet? it helps diminish the impact of flamings i receive.

hmm, my above paragraph reads clumsily. how about this. i don't want someone who complains about zelda's graphics to tell me that the wii could be no more than a novelty. i feel they're missing the point.

6. billy83

billy83 What's a Dremel?

and briefly, to explain my offensive comments about the journalist; whatever innovation the wii contains, i'd like it if game journalists wholeheartedly supported it. game journalists play a very key role in encouraging innovation. people read reviews, and articles, and do what they're told (except for you critical thinkers, god bless you). that's why i was disappointed to read an article from a leading games site dismissing the wii, and the majority of posts on this forum saying 'great article'. to be honest i wouldn't overly care if the wii was a grand gimmick; better that than the other product differentiation route that sony's taking. they're going to sell an overpriced console, with useless technology, because 100000 people (um, maybe i should've upsized that exaggeration scale) enjoy final fantasy. zelda all the way!

7. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Hmm, gonna take issue with your posts there a bit Billy. Firstly, and not very importantly, but those glasses aren't exactly flamboyant - they're pretty normal and it's not a smart thing to judge someone by their choice of eyewear I don't think. Regardless, Garsides point wasn't that he didn't like it because he looked stupid playing it, but rather in general that consumers might not realise that they will not look like the actors in the opening shots. They will look like ordinary people doing something silly.

Garside most certainly didn't slate the Wii. He gave some criticism, and is one of the very few people who seem to have actually managed to not get caught up in the hype. This is a great thing, and that's why the article was great.

I can't help but feel that perhaps you're a Nintendo fanboy, and just dislike any sort of news that isn't positive about it.

8. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

i dont know why some people feel some people feel they have to vehemently argue in favour of a console made by a company who they owe nothing to. it happens with anything of course.

on the other hand, my brother will be getting a wii and i'll buy games for it. but im certainly not a "fanboy" of any company. i buy what i like and it isnt based on brand name

9. Chuff_72

Unfortunately "people" don't read reviews or articles, the highest selling Video Game magazine in the UK is the Official PS2 Mag, this has a monthly readership of 300,000. Think about that number, there are something like 30,000,000 PS2's in the UK, so what we have here is 1% of the entire country that actually activley reads reviews/articles (granted second/third reads, call it 2% if you like). Normally you would bump up this number with web based media, however a quick scout around these forums and there is a thread in the General section about what people look at on the internet, I'm not 100% but I don't think there was one dedicated Games site on anyones list, except mine where there were about 5!

Also can I just say that, following on from M4TIN, a good game is a good game, no matter what console it's on.

10. Chuff_72

There is no reason for the above post, I just felt like typing something.

11. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Some people get paid :eek: - others are just stupid fanboys :D

Oh and use the edit button people, there's no need for all these double posts.

12. Chuff_72

It was for humorous intent...

13. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

To the author:

How was the bowling gameon Wii Sports?? I am a huge bowling nut and finding a half-way decent bowling game is impossible.

I cannot wait until payday. Hello Wii reservation and Zelda!!

W0000000000000000000000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

Good luck trying to reserve one now and get it on lauch day.

15. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Ya ha. First of all i don't think Bit-tech would be considered a leading games review site.

Secondly the author stated his opinion and it was refreshing to have somebody who has actually spent some time on the console give an honest assessment of how it felt. The usefulness and implementation of the Wii remote are both critical to the successes of the console and Ryan was answering questions that have been raised about it.

Thirdly, somebody dares to make a less than positive comment about the Wii and you launch a scathing (personal) attack on them yet in the same breath will happily criticise the PS3, which has not yet been released and you have most probably never played?

16. Houck

Houck What's a Dremel?

I will not get it because the way you play games on it.

17. Jodiuh

Jodiuh What's a Dremel?

Yup, short, sweet, to the point, and I find myself agreeing most of the time. :rock: They're the british version of [H]. :D

Tags: Add Tags