1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nintendo launch mass lawsuit against R4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Jul 2008.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The problem with the Steam idea, is like Yahoo music store. How many can't play their purchased music, because they re-installed their system, or moved to a new computer and don't know ways around it before they perform such task. Imagine is Steam or a Steam like service closes... what happens to your games that you purchased?! Doesn't mean you played it, that you will never play it again. Also how about resell of the game?
    Example:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Chrono-Trigger-...yZ139973QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    and
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Freespace-2-WIN...VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

Steam doesn't give you that possibility.

And what if you ant to play a game? with Steam, if you don't have the game you have to wait until it downloads, wasting valuable download bandwidth on your quota (unless you are lucky enough to not have such thing), and then install it (for PC). If you have the game, you just put the cartage in and your set. Way faster!

2. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

yeah but come on, you can't compare the file size for steam games with nintendo ones, i believe the carts are maxed out at 32mb, thats hardly going to take long is it?

3. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

Steam is awesome. There is a back up feature for installing on a machine which is not connected to the web and all single player games can be played without an internet connection. About the only thing you loose is the ability to resell. Big whoop if you ask me.

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

a steam system for the DS would own.....

5. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

I think the real issue here is that this lawsuit represents a huge failure of the whole invention and patent process. Since when is it illeagal to make an accessory or improvement to an already existing item if your not using the original in your product/idea?
    Just because it fits the DS so nice, doesn't mean you can't use it with an adapter to plug into your pc or any other device. I do believe that this lawsuit would be alot harder in the US to prove, and that Nintendo is using the Japanese laws to get a better leverage on the lawsuit.

6. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

well a big number (54) is good weight... so is the quality..

Code:
    The Pokemon Company
    that not helping them..

7. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

meh, i made a cock up! that's what I meant! the hard ware is legit, the software aint!

8. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

actually this is a shame in many respects. the hombrew scene is really booming and theres's a few games that are really worthwhile on homebrew, and the continued development of them will drop considerably. Lone wolf series is damn amazing and I'd like to see it finished, and card fighters clash 2 (OMG, most addictive and coolest game EVAR!) has just been translated and ported. however, totally understand where ninty are coming from on this angle. the R4 has gotta be hurting software sales which is the main profit driver, especially for 3rd party devs and small independent devs, and at the end of the day it's still money that should be paid to them

9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Go, Legal team, I choose you!

I could understand if they were losing a lot of money through this, but unless I'm mistaken, the Wii is pretty damned popular, and so are the games aren't they?

10. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

"Unfair Competition Prevention Law"...isn't this lawsuit the one preventing FAIR competiton

Tags: Add Tags