1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Nintendo Project Café Rumour Analysis

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 4 May 2011.

1. VictorVonZeppelin

VictorVonZeppelin What's a Dremel?

A nice bit of trigonometry shows that the diagonal of the Wii Remote is near exactly 6in. If that's the rumoured size for the screen, I could almost see a touchscreen Wiimote of exactly the same proportions...

2. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark What's a Dremel?

comparing to desktop graphics is useless. Desktop graphics have to support resolutions of 1920x1200, 2560x1600, multimonitors, framerates of 120+fps, etc. The MAXIMUM Cafe has to support is 1080p60 most likely, Nintendo isnt going to push any further than that, and 1080p with all settings on high is NOT hard to do on current, last gen, or even gen before last desktop graphics. This is not even trying to replace pc gaming, so it's not even a fair comparison in the least. For console-only gamers, Cafe will still be far and above the BEST video game graphics they have ever seen, and Nintendo will likely have a one to two year head start on xbox720 and ps4, so it will look amazing to all those it is aimed at. They just need a good lineup of launch titles and millions of parents will be streetfighting for the last Cafe at walmart for the first year of sales.

3. sja360

sja360 What's a Dremel?

its more a fact that they cant push further than 1080p anyway as most new tv's are now full hd and thats it. and i doubt most people go and purchase desktop pc monitors solely for their consoles. Still like you said Lazarus, if they have the game selection their i can see it selling a lot as well. Certainly my mate is sick of his xbox and misses all his nintendo characters like mario, metroid etc but i can see him getting sick of the console if there isnt third party games like resi or something.

4. Jedibeeftrix

Jedibeeftrix What's a Dremel?

great article, and good point in the quote above.

i am fairly sure that the difference in performance between the 729MHz single-issue PPC core and a ~2200MHz AMD Stars core would allow for emulation, but I certainly have no way to prove this and likewise respect the problems that exist with emulating even older consoles on x86.

if the sabine platform includes IOMMU it is even possible that the Wii would run as a virtualised OS...........

but i had not considered the case of Glo-Fo's experience with creating multi-chip-modules for the latest Xbox360 SKU.

all told, i think this article is quite probably right that an MCM with a die-shrunk R700 and cheap PPC cpu is the most likely option.

i still can't escape the potential of llano however given the advantages it holds for process manufacture (32nm), the cost benefit of a single SoC, and the commonality benefits of getting a DX11 gpu as will the norm for PC game programming throughout the Wii 2's life........

i also can't under stand why they would go to the trouble of die-shrinking an R700 gpu and then maintaining it as a long-life product when AMD have just announced their 480 shader embedded product with a production life that will extend to 2016.

5. Puzzu

Puzzu What's a Dremel?

As lazarus mentioned,

Cafe would only need to support 1080p,

What's not been mentioned is will it support 3D, this is something that's not really been mentioned and with lack of air time on this matter it I think it's going to be in the pipe line.

The touch screen controller would be better suited to a 3D screen as game play in 3D would very odd with maps/power ups floating in space on the screen. This would tie in nicely on why the need for a 2nd screen.

Imagine Mario/Zelda in a full 3D enviroment and all the powerups/maps on the touch screen.

It's not something we're thought we needed but them who thought Wii controller was something we needed.

6. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

if it manages 360 games at 1080p I'll buy....

nuff said

7. Xir

Xir Minimodder

I don't understand, the original wiimote held perpendicular would serve as a gamepad...at least I played lego star wars with it using it as a pad, not a motion controller.

8. Mukkinese

Mukkinese What's a Dremel?

All speculation at the moment, but it is looking like some very smart thinking by Nintendo.

By many accounts, still just rumours, this machine will be at least as powerful as the current Xbox and also closely aligned with Xbox/PC architecture, making it easy to dev for and easy to port from Xbox and PC. Along with more conventional controls, a handset with 8 buttons, a d-pad and two analogue controllers, perhaps thumbsticks or slide-pads, Nintendo really leaves no more excuses, for those who dislike the Wii, to stay away from this machine.

Third party devs would be mad to ignore a machine that is so easy to port too, leaving only exclusive titles, and possible future machines, the only thing Sony and Microsoft will have to fight with. Nintendo already have a very strong footing in the exclusive title arena and are working hard to get third party devs to contribute more.

Add to this the probability that the new machine might be more powerful than the Xbox and is certain to have a unique selling point or "hook", which might well be enough to lure a lot of gamers in, especially new gamers, plus continued support for casual gaming and things are looking pretty good for Ninty.

9. alialias

alialias What's a Dremel?

i just cant wait to find out the truth about this!

10. Grape Flavor

Grape Flavor What's a Dremel?

If Cafe doesn't render Wii games at 720p or 1080p I'm going to be super pissed. Dolphin emulator can do this on an x86 Windows PC coded by a bunch of outsiders, don't tell me Nintendo couldn't easily do this.

Then again, the DS/3DS come without decent media capabilities yet homebrew shows the hardware is more than capable. So Nintendo's propensity to artificially cripple their products intentionally or through laziness is well known.

Still, I must say I'm cautiously excited to see what this is all about.

Tags: Add Tags