1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wii / Wii U Nintendo Recalls 3.2 Million Wii Straps...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chuff_72, 15 Dec 2006.

1. Chuff_72

Chuff_72 What's a Dremel?

2. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Bloody Americans..... :duh: (or whoever :p)

No problems with the strap here, I don't know what some people are moaning about.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Doesn't surprise me considering the straps are secured to your wrist with crappy bit of plastic and then held on the controller with all but a teather.

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The new straps on manufactured Wiis are a lot thicker, the fishing line is about 2-3 times stronger by the looks of it.

5. ChriX

ChriX ^

I still fail to understand why the strap even comes in to play, after hours and hours of many people playing on mine, nobody has let go of the controller once. To let go of it and have the strap snap at the same time seems very unlikely. It's not like the strap is taking any strain during normal play (while the controller is still in your hand).

http://www.nintendojo.com/fullfocus/view_item.php?1166055790

6. mushky

mushky gimme snails

We stumbled back to mine after a day of drinking on wednesday for some Wii sports and there was never the issue of letting go of a controller. I haven't even attached the straps.

7. K

K 528491

Perhaps some people are using the strap and letting go on purpose? Thinking they'll get a more realistic bowl? Who knows, people are idiots.

8. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I wouldn't mind replacing my straps for stronger versions for free espescially if I decide to take it round certain members of my family's houses as they aren't the most careful of people and tend to break stuff.
    I however have not let go of the wiimote bacause you just don't do it. Its a game controller, like every other console you HOLD ONTO IT!
    To you and me thats common sense but in reality common sense isn't all that common.

9. K

K 528491

I think this just about sums up the entire issue. Bravo.

10. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

From the BBC comments section:

LOLZ!!!!!!1

11. TheSaladMan

TheSaladMan What's a Dremel?

12. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

hilarious though that is, that will probably be worse - seatbelts and retention straps work because they are slightly elastic. they stretch slightly, dissipating the kinetic energy a lot slower than a sudden jerk, reducing damage. that thing looks like it'll just snap the wiimote first chance it gets

13. mushky

mushky gimme snails

how do you type that noise where you sort of laugh a little bit but through your nose, a bit like a backwards snort? Cos ...

14. Chuff_72

Chuff_72 What's a Dremel?

Ah, the "Eddie Murphy" a notoriously difficult noise to type, infact I'm not gonna even try. :D

15. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I thought it was less to do with letting go, and more to do with people having super-sweaty palms from all the leaping about the living room? Especially the fat Americans who aren't used to that amount of exercise.

Personally I will eschew the strap and instead rely on a small bowl of talc to be dipped into every hour or so. Gymnastic style.

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I sometimes wonder how people actually survive day to day. Do people have an off button when it comes to self control and common sense?? Like said ^^ not all that common.

17. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

i find that slightly hard to believe. how hard would you need to hit someone with a small remote to knock them over, and then this girlfriend must be huge to take a telly with her. no seems a bit far fetched to me.. if it is true however, how are these people not dead they must be almost retarted. its a remote that requires a tiny movement to work not a bloody great throwing across a room

18. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

IT'S.
    A.
    PISS.

TAKE.

19. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

People are idiots. They think that they have to actually throw their arm like they are really going to throw a 95mph fast ball. They think they have to serve the tennis ball like a pro. All it takes to do any of that is a simple flick of the wrist, and if they can't figure that out they deserve to have their stuff broken.

Nintendo should have just released that as a public statement instead of a recall. Of course, calling your customers idiots might not be very smart.

20. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

They did. Everyone who registered their console got an email about... I'd say a week or so ago that said to HOLD ON TO THE CONTROLLER.

Mind you, it was a real mistake IMO to use smooth plastic instead of anything textured/rubberized, since it does slip about when your hands are sweaty. Still, I haven't sent mine flying yet.

And it's really just not as fun if you just flick your wrist around. Mind you, you look less like a tool, but that hardly matters when there are three other people in the room that look like a tool flailing about madly. I only flick my wrist for Zelda which is fine, but it's really just lame for the Wii Sports games. I'm NOT defending the stupidity of the people on wiihaveaproblem.com, but we've all heard of people doing stupid things when excited, and Nintendo just happened to release a very exciting piece of consumer electronics. Expect an effective slashdotting of wiihaveaproblem during the week following Xmas :)

Tags: