1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wii / Wii U Nintend'oh

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Slink, 30 Mar 2006.

1. Slink

Slink B7

2. K

K 528491

Awesome. Seems like a glorified Gamecube. Smart, as their in-house teams will know exactly how to get the most out of it right from the starting blocks. I have immense faith in this new console.

3. Slink

Slink B7

you seen the gamecube when it hit the shops, games made the most of it, remember mario sunshine and it's lighting, i hope this new console will do the same

4. K

K 528491

I imagine so yeah. After playing lots of Metroid Prime Hunters this week, the prospect of the new Metroid developed specifically for the Revolution is just too exciting to contemplate. The tactile interface of the DS is just perfect for Metroid and I can only imagine the Rev controller being even more immersive using it as Samus's right arm. Oh gosh...

5. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

^cosign!
    I really need to start playing my cube again.Time to wip out Twin snakes and finally buy Res4.

6. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

The more I read about the Revolution the more I'm swayed to getting one as my next console.

7. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I think those in the 'know' and Nintendo fans will need no convincing of the consoles potential. The wider public however, and the PS2 generation of gamers out there will, without hesitation, ignore the Rev based solely on those specs. A console that offers little more than the existing Xbox will turn off the unwashed masses in droves.

Personally I am really interested in seeing what sort of results are possible with that modest setup. Certainly if the trade off between playability and originality, and brute processing force are handled in the same way as the DS then this could be everything we're hoping for.

I am just a little worried that aside from the inhouse and Nintendo sponsored development teams, many other multiplatform devs may see this as a weird middle ground between the (soon to be) redundant current gen hardware and the superior next gen muscle machines. I'm not convinced that such a massive difference will be ultimately a recipe for success - sure it's going to be a logical next step from the GameCube, but look at the catalogue of games for the Cube (plenty of AAA, not enough AA or A titles imho). Knowing how reluctant many dev teams have been or were to develop for the GC, I don't see how this changes anything.

I think ultimately the Rev will be a risky platform to develop for outside of Japan. However like the DS, if it can be proven that inovative and successful titles can be produced for it by people outside of Nintendo, then it could make back some of the ground lost by the Cube. Only once the genuinely good games are available (please Nintendo, have a good launch line up) will the skeptical, Western, man on the street consider investing in a console that would be eaten alive, technically, by both it's competitors.

8. K

K 528491

Every major third-party developer I've heard from have expressed immense amount of interest in the machine. Even bloody Bioware. It's just the commercial side that's initially quite worrying.

9. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Yeah but everyone and their granny says the same thing every time a console is launched. Until I see solid proposals from these people, it's just words.

10. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

new mariokart pls :D:D

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Still, even though it's a glorified GC I was hoping for something a bit more powerful. I know I know that the current GC games like RE4 still look good, but I was wanting something a bit more evolutionary and chunky insides. I still think they've underspecced it a bit :( As much as gameplay is in there, I still want good looking games and the gap seems huge in this gen.

12. Slink

Slink B7

yeah the specs don't speak much, it's got slower specs than the original xbox, and comapre these specs up to the 360's x3 cpus I can see people just underestimating the performance before looking into buying one. But Nintendo have always produced and made the most of hardware in the past!

13. K

K 528491

You sound so disappointed and you haven't even seen or played a game yet. Who's to say the games won't look as good as a 360 or PS3 game? Game design > Billions of polygons

14. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Surely if the hardware is inferior, then they won't look as good? I'm with you on the last bit though, if the games have the right design and utilise the controllers as well as the hype suggests, then the hardware powering it could be irrelevant - I know for sure that the prospect of playing a FPS with the nunchuck makes me feel funny in my pants. That funny feeling is magnified one hundred fold at the thought of weilding a sword with it in Zelda.

15. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

im all for this system, i think its going to pack a huge punch for the amount of power its got (or not got maybe?)
    if it keeps the price down then thats a massive plus imo, and i want a games console not silly powerful graphics, thats what my pc is for. i hope nintendo can bring back the days of enjoying gaming in front of the TV again like it was with the snes and genesis. i miss those days

16. K

K 528491

Only from a technical standpoint. Which isn't really the most objective view to take with games, although it seems de rigueur in this field. I'll forever use Wind Waker as my main example for this: Technically, quite basic. Artistically, absolutely genius.

Just look at something like Okami on the PS2. It's technically inferior to any next-gen game seen so far, yet the design is so goddam good it looks miles better.

When your technology becomes limited, making the most out of it involves getting the aesthetic just right... As opposed to letting every built in plastic super buffer shader spruce up some polygons. Perfect Dark Zero, I'm looking at you.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No no no. Im just talking about the future. Even though the GC was about on par compared to the PS2 and Xbox, it's gonna be very evidently ageing in 5 years time on that kind of spec. I mean, surely things will evolve in 5 years like it has in the last 5 years. Im not wanting 3Ghz processors or whatever here, I was at least expecting something about half of a 360, not, 1/4. I want dev's to have some play. I want them to be able to port games to it easily. I hope it's not as serious as Im imagining, but Im worried that it will be clearly evident the difference between those two and the Rev. And I dont want to be left wanting a bit more in the way of uber sexy graphics that everything else pulls in years to come, whilst having great games on the Rev.

Yes, I want my cake and eat it.

WW: Technically: cheap, Artistically: genius, Gameplayable: bit too colourfast and simple, for me, despite the fact i enjoyed playing it because it was evidently simple and fun.

18. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Xbox 360 and PS3 are all about absurd realism; they need billions of polygons and ludicrous processing power to appeal to the masses because all they think people care about anymore are graphics. Nintendo has known all along that gameplay is king - fancy graphics just help a bit. Remember Super Smash Brothers Melee? It looks good - not great - but its SOOOOO fun :D

19. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I lost faith in nintendo after the SNES. I bought a N64 and a GC, but only on the cheap. When I buy a console, I like to know there are alot of quality games on there, and I mean grounbreaking quality games.

I don't really care about great quality graphics, well I do, but i don't care if it's not realistic grpahics. I like quirky graphics as well as the realistic graphics. Like the cell shading style in JSRF. I saw a preview of a game on gamespy made with this really cool japaneese art style, the game looks like it's painted on canvas, I might buy that game just becasue it looks really cool.

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

What game? For the NGC?

Tags: