1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Nissan skyline 350GT/Infinity G35 thoughts and opinions

Discussion in 'General' started by 13eightyfour, 14 Aug 2010.

1. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

So im looking to ditch my POS bora as ive finally had enough of it. Im seriously considering a Skyline 350GT (although im open to other suggestions), now i know they arent a 'proper' skyline, and more of a grown up 350Z but they have grown on me and things ive read on owners forums are generally really good. Plus i like to be different and there isnt many of them about:thumb:

The decision isnt final but i cant think of anything similar that isnt as common muck over here.
    For those that havent seen one:
    [​IMG]

Anybody had any experience with them (350GT/G35)? Or is there an equally less common alternative?

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Looks swish..

I know its only similar but my brothers 350Z is fantastic to be a passenger in

3. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

My girlfriend's brother drives the four door RWD one, I've driven it a few times. It's comfortable for daily driving and yet fun when you want it to be. Scary as hell in the winter though.

I wouldn't call it a grown up 350Z, the way I understand Nissan's thinking here is:

Nissan always had the Skyline as a large comfortable sporty car, but decided to split the GT-R badged Skylines away from the regular car. The Infiniti G35 and Nissan GT-R are now separate cars instead of the GT-R just being the sports version of the regular Skyline, and as a bonus the G35 is more luxurious and practical for regular people. The GT-R is now a complete beast.

13eightyfour likes this.
  4. Altron

Altron Minimodder

The drivetrain is very similar.

The Nissan Skyline 350 GT, or Infiniti G35 as the USDM variant is called (in USA, most manufacturers have a second nameplate for their luxury cars to appease snobs. Nice Nissan are called Infiniti. Nice toyota are called lexus. Nice honda are called acura. generally this pricepoint is 30k USD) share the the same motor with the Nissan 350Z.

The Z is smaller, and lighter. It's a two-seater, whereas the G35 is either a 4-seat coupe or a sedan, with optional AWD. I'm not sure what options are the same between the Skyline and the G, but here the G is more expensive than the Z, heavier, more seats, and has a more luxurious interior, whereas the Z is more of a true sports car.

The VQ motor is a blast to drive. The 3.5 puts out a lot of power, and benefits a lot from headers if you're into modding cars. The car I drove for three years (sold it ysterday :() had the 3.0 version, and it is a really nice engine.

It gets V6 gas economy, but puts out V8 power. I was able to squeeze over 30 mpg (i think that's 8L/100km for you metric people) on the highway. It has boatloads of low-end torque, so you don't have to always downshift.

Do they not have the newer versions available?

That is a V35, which has been discontinued 2-3 years ago. Over here, they rolled out an updated V36 chassis code, with a complete redesign of the sheetmetal and the move to a 3.7 motor, called the "G37"

The 350z is a Z33 model, which was also discontinued about a year ago. The new Z34 model also has a complete redesign and the 3.7 motor, now called "370Z"

Do some research on the motor. There are three different 3.5L motors, with different amounts of power
    VQ35DE
    VQ35 Rev-Up
    VQ35HR

13eightyfour likes this.
  5. 13eightyfour

The G37 is available here but the ones ive seen have been nearly twice the price, although i think i prefer the G37 headlights over the G35s the budget just wont stretch that far im affraid.

The model im looking at is the 6speed manual VQ35de "Rev-UP" 300HP one, Its looking like im going to have to see about getting one imported because i cant seem to find what i want, from whats currently available here.

6. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Looks nice, I would drive it :)

Get Saab 9-3 Aero, I know you want one :naughty:. I have only "regular" turbo 9-3 and I'm really happy with it, but if you are looking more performance the Aero is for you (though Aero is no match to Skyline in performance :hehe:... I think :worried: )

Saabs aren't so common here in Finland, at least I don't see much them on the road, but since they are reasonably priced and good quality car's I haven't seen a good reason to change the manufacturer.

But go for it if you pick Skyline, Nissan is one of my favorites also and if I must have a sports car, Skyline would be my choice

7. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

So what are the costs to buy a 350GT (new?), get it on the road, and fully insured?

The 200SX is quick, easy to make it go really quick, and looks very sporty... that's what i'd go for out of the nissan coupes :naughty:

8. 13eightyfour

well you cant get a 'new' 350GT as its been replaced but what im looking for comes for around £10-12k depending on the spec, To insure it at 26 is going to cost £890.

I have looked at the S15 silvias as the S14s are way to common round here, but i want something bigger really and more of a sporty cruiser, not rip your face off racer tbh.

Another choice would be the eunos cosmos 20B-REW but im unsure about reliability tbh, and general running costs will be a lot higher than the 350GT.

Im going to start emailing importers next week and get some quotes to see whats available.