1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Nk204

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Henry, 29 Mar 2002.

1. Henry

Henry Matrix Orbital

OK folks, here are the details of the NK204...

As being Bit Tech people you get the unit for $47.50USD and you get the free Wide Voltage option upgrade. (s the product id is NK204-V really)

The NK204 is a modified LK204-25. It has no keypad header but still has 6 Low Power GPOs.

Now, this part is un-official...

The NK204 has keypad capability, but is NOT supported by us. There is a problem, when you press two keys at the same time, the LCD would do strange stuff. A large number of these units were made. So this display will do everything the LK204-25 does, just don't press two keys at the same time (It's nothing catastrophic or damaging to the LCD, just garbage will appear on the screen). If you don't, you can solder on a header to the PCB and add switches or a keypad.

k, cheers and enjoy...

2. unlucky2LUCKY

unlucky2LUCKY What's a Dremel?

just curious.. can you change the backlight of it like you can with the digidoc?

3. Henry

Henry Matrix Orbital

4. unlucky2LUCKY

unlucky2LUCKY What's a Dremel?

:eeek: oh my.... nevermind... :hehe:

5. SpikeyJake

SpikeyJake What's a Dremel?

what about shipping to the UK ??

6. Henry

Henry Matrix Orbital

$14.27 2-3 day service...

7. UnLoadeD

UnLoadeD What's a Dremel?

hmm, i have a 20x2 lcd, bought it cheap off bgmicro. i didnt read close enuff, turns out its 4-bit and i cant get it to work. anyway...it has blue EL bcklight, looks like i could remove it easily and the inverter in seperate on the power line, i'm wondering if i could use it. is that led array easily removed?

8. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

excuse my nOObness

now is this a whole kit or just the lcd itself? what else would i need to run this

9. Henry

Henry Matrix Orbital

Re: excuse my nOObness

12V power cable (wide voltage)
    Serial Cable
    An a way to mount it.. (PC bay insert or a MK kit)

10. Henry

Henry Matrix Orbital

it's pretty easy to remove.

11. SpikeyJake

SpikeyJake What's a Dremel?

DOH ive ordered my LCD now and i thought u would gte a cable with it :sigh: . Its it easy to make ur own or will i voide warrantry and stuff ???

OH and big thx goes out to MO and bit tech for an ace deal . Carnt belive ive got an MO serial LCD for about the same price of a mapper lcd :E

12. FL@MeS

FL@MeS What's a Dremel?

im a bit sketchy on the power lead side... how do we do it, or where do we by a compatible lead???

other than that where do i sign up??? do i have to ring up? or can we paypal or something (im in uk)???

Last edited: 30 Mar 2002
  13. st3ph3n

st3ph3n What's a Dremel?

Quick question regarding the GPOs and using Fans.

Can I plug a 3 pin fan onto the 2 pin GPO without modifying it?

As I understand it the third wire of a fan is the speed sensing wire, which would not be required obviously.

Thanks.

14. FL@MeS

FL@MeS What's a Dremel?

ignore all my previous questions/statements... i have just placed an order totally $72.75 to be shipped to uk -- nice doing business wtih you, i think this secures my alliance with bit even more than ever now good job!

15. FL@MeS

FL@MeS What's a Dremel?

thw wide voltage selector means i need to order the 12v power lead? so i ordered right? or do i need to solder some more :eeek:

16. Cheese

Cheese Doc

No that should be fine... the power connector needed for wide volatge MO units is simlpy a floppy power connector with the pins switched around a little bit (see the LCD's manual, there should be an illustration of how to do this yourself in there).

The 12v power connector you've ordered is a normal molex splitter with a floppy power connector which has been pre-modified, so you'll just need to plug it into a free molex (or unplug a molex and put this inbetween the molex and what it used to plug in to) and then plug the modified floppy connecotr into the correct header on the back of the display - easy as pie :D

Cheers,

r.

17. FL@MeS

FL@MeS What's a Dremel?

where u bin cheesy? lol -- i can use LCDC now, yey! :lol:

i ordered 12v lead and serial lead... order came to £50 odd, ill post pics of my acrylic stand/box thing when i make it l8er next week

18. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Your understanding is correct - you can just ignore the centre pin (speed sensing) on 3-pin fan connectors, however as it's the centre pin you need to ignore you can't just plug a fan plug straight on to a gpo, nor are the gpo's on this LCD powerful enough to power a nomraly fan (see the -pc display if you want a hassle free lcd for fan controlling). If you do want to go with this display and control your fans with it all is not lost, a little bit of electronics is all you need and there are loads of ways of achieving the goal.

Basically you need to isolate the GPO from the fan you're powering and use it to switch the power going to the fan on and off... the easiest way to do this is with a relay (resistor and diode needed to protect the display also - there's a lil circuit diagram in the MO manual for this I think, can't check atm as I'm on a rubbish pooter). Relays aren't great though and a couple of transistors is a better solution. If you want to do this Henry should be able to point you at a thread on the lcdforums that deals with this question well ;)

Cheers,

r.

19. Cheese

Cheese Doc

I've been away for a few days... sitting on a rubbish computer in a friend house :( never fear though as ever I'm working on something pretty nice ;) and you'll be seeing more of me soon I promise :D

Cheers,

r.

20. FL@MeS

FL@MeS What's a Dremel?

wooooo im excited.... :lol: