1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Nk204

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Henry, 29 Mar 2002.

1. Henry

Henry Matrix Orbital

About 99%... the only difference is no backlight on/off and no contrast on VFDs, but VFDs have brightness and on and off display...

2. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Also the character sets are slightly different, the vfd's is better :D

r.

3. Henry

Henry Matrix Orbital

OK, fine got me there, the VFDs character set is much larger... :p

4. Henry

Henry Matrix Orbital

NOTICE... The sale is ENDING on May 10th!!!!!

5. jennyfur

jennyfur What's a Dremel?

Just wondering, how are those of you who are mounting LCD's in PC bays running the serial cable from the inside to the outside?

I wanted to stay away from just running it through an empty slot cover...

I was thinking of finding an I/O panel with an extra serial port space (my mobo only has 1 serial connection), popping that out and running the cable from the inside to it, then on the outside running a cable from that to my serial port.

Only thing is, I haven't been able to find a really short cable for the outside connection (and considering the two ports are right next to each other, I didn't want a long cable to get in the way).
    Anybody happen to know a place that sells cable that are less than a foot in length?

Or has anybody come up with a more clever solution to this? Any suggestions appreciated :)

6. linear

linear Minimodder

7. jennyfur

hehe.....yeah, the 4BR serial that MO makes is the way to go, too bad it won't work with the LK162-12 which is the one I was planning on getting ;)

So I guess the "buying 2 regular cables" option is the only way to go! Shame I'll need the 4ft variety for the inside of the case (the 1ft probably wouldn't reach the back). As for that outside one, I know MO has that nice 1ft cable, just figured that would even be too long if I did it the I/O way. No bother though, I can just cable tie it or something. It's not like the massive mess of wires behind my system could get any worse anyway...heheh :D

8. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

Just get the long variety and pop the end off, and replace it where you want, just make sure you put it back on in the same orientation as you took it off and sqeeze it on nice and evenly.. :)

-scoob8000

9. ViperZ

ViperZ What's a Dremel?

Thanks Henry, I do like my Nk204, but am interested in the VK204-25 as well now.

10. boycee

boycee What's a Dremel?

jennyfur

why not just make one ?

Its only three wires, then use some heat shrink to make tidy (theres always electrical tape) then feed that through a blank IO port if u got one. or better still drill a 4mm hole and feed it through there. Remember if u drill a hole dont put the plug on till u have feeded the wire through. :D:rolleyes:

11. jennyfur

it doesn't matter if you make it or not, the question was how people were feeding it from the inside to the outside. there's many different ways it could be done and I was just asking how many of you guys had done it. the cable itself is secondary ;)

12. Meblin

Meblin Supposed IR God!

I used a standard serial cable and only connected the 3 pins that it needs (2, 3 and 5), I then extended the otherwires so that 2 wires went to one black wire and the rest (3 I think) went to a yellow one. I then made the external power supply mod and connecter a modded floppy cable at the other.

Doing it like this means I only have one cable running from my LCD to my PC :)

Meblin

13. WhyPush

WhyPush What's a Dremel?

Melbin,

Did you have a site showing what you did? I can't remember. :eek:

14. Meblin

Meblin Supposed IR God!

No I didn't add anything about my NK204-V to my site but I think I will knock up a little how to just for you guys :D

Meblin

15. Meblin

Meblin Supposed IR God!

Well here it is!

It's a little rough and ready but you get the idea :D

Meblin

16. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

anybody here use lcdc to control their LCD?? if so could you possibly send me your LCDC files that contain the screens that you have made as i dont have the time at the mo to make my own...

17. Mat-d-Rat

Mat-d-Rat Drive it to the edge baby

There is quite a reasonable Example one in the install?

18. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

yeah found it last night....

19. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

Big characters

I know there is a option for BigFonts-4 on the custom chars list, i've checked the help and can't seem to find anything. Maybe i'm being retarded and probably am but i can't get it to display full screen the time, any ideas?

20. Mat-d-Rat

Mat-d-Rat Drive it to the edge baby

In case you didn't know I've just put up .99beat14 that has a whole load of example files - there is Big font stuff in there, includding scrolling text and temps etc... Basically you need to have line 1 set to [%FON41%Some Text%] line 2 set to [%FON42%Some Text%] etc. (FON4=4height font, 1..4=which line). This can then be set to scroll or whatever.