1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory no boot with 2 sticks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 5hadow, 15 May 2010.

1. 5hadow

5hadow What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,

I am posting here after a long time. Last time, I posted it was to get a build advice in Aug, 2008. Now, I need some help with the same build.

Last night, it was not posting at all. So, I went throught the ususal routine and found that it would not post with both memory sticks in. I would like to mention I tried the dual configuaration in both channels but no use. Also, I checked them individually and both times it worked. So it does not look like the memory sticks are bad. With a couple of beers in :D and the system running(at least) with one stick, I called it a day.

This morning, I thought I would give it another try with 2 sticks and it worked. So, my question to you good people is what could be going wrong? Last night was probably a warning that either my mobo(imo) or the memory is about to say goodbye. What say?

Build in sig. Thanks.

2. SouperAndy

SouperAndy To Bumble or not to Bumble?

Swap the RAM sticks to the other dual channel lanes...

Although rare, I've been hit with this issue in the past (although admittedly on much older H/W). You could always try Memtest to be 100% sure on the sticks.

The fact that is suddenly started working again is strange... May be a PSU problem (or Mobo as you say)? Difficult to say tho', TBH.

Ninja Edit: Forgot - have you tried the Windows Memeory Diagnostic tool? I think it's standard in Vista (defo in W7)

Cheers,

SouperAndy :worried:

Last edited: 15 May 2010
  3. 5hadow

5hadow What's a Dremel?

I should have made it more clear probably. I did try it and it did not work last night.

I haven' tried Memtest and no Vista does not have the tool you mentioned. I will try memtest and post the results. Thanks.

4. SouperAndy

My bad, just re-read your original description and see that you did try the dual config swap.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/test-your-computers-memory-using-windows-vista-memory-diagnostic-tool/

Vista is supposed to have the mem diag tool... Memtest is probably more thorough tho'!

Report back the results, any info is good for troubleshooting...

Cheers,

5. 5hadow

5hadow What's a Dremel?

just done the Memtest to 106% and no errors ..will let it run tonight for longer but I have more faith in Corsair(memory) than MSI(my mobo).

6. SouperAndy

MSI have come a long way in reliability, etc... So don't count them out too soon :hehe:

WARNING! - This is potentially risky, take a full image backup.

If you are willing, let's do a full reset / update of the mobo.

Visit the MSI website and cdownload the latest BIOS version and prepare the neceessary installation media (USB Stick, Floppy, etc)

Reset the BIOS via the CMOS jumper and leave for 30 secs (disconnect the AC). If this fails, disconnect the AC again and remove the battery off the mobo. Leave for a while, go for a beer or something :rock:

This will reset the mobo to the base config. When you return replace the battery.

IF there's an upate for the mobo that you have prepared, install this no following the instructuon from the MSI website.

The insallation will probably recommend this any way, but make sure you reset to factory default in the BIOS menu.

Reconfigure to your tastes and see if it makes a difference!

Cheers,

7. 5hadow

5hadow What's a Dremel?

Sorry for the late reply.

It is working fine at the moment and I am not very comfortable tinkering with MoBos. I think I will leave it as it is for now and if the need arises I may give your idea a go.

Thanks for all the help. :clap: