1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No HDTV For me

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by :: kna ::, 6 Jan 2006.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

You can buy a decent HDTV for £400 in the UK?

You're comparing something with content to something with no content (in the UK). There are applications that benefit from dual core (including multi-tasking with two or more single threaded applications running simultaneously), there are games that benefit from SLI and the CPUs are not 64-bit, they're 32-bit with 64-bit extensions.

There is no High Definition Television broadcast available in the UK yet. There are no DVDs, either. The only thing that could benefit from HDTV is an Xbox 360 - they're not hugely available at the moment either. All of the computer components that you've mentioned are widely available and there is content available to support them.

2. specofdust

specofdust Banned

PC Gamers != Console gamers.

Were you talking about PC gamers I would agree with that statement, theres a large hardcore, who want the best, and desire the fastest. Gaming, and PC's overall, are hugely important to many of our lives. Console gamers, people who only play on consoles, often have very different outlooks, and with respect, they ain't hardcore gamers, they're just people who play games. You're not used to spending huge ammouts of money on a console, you buy it, its there, it never needs upgrading, never needs "that extra £50" for a slightly better graphics card, or another stick of ram.

So I doubt console gamers are going to be so willing, for the most part, to rush out and buy £800 TV's right after they've bought £200 consoles, or whatever the 360're are costing.

3. rupbert

rupbert New Member

Yeah but surely the 10% that can tell the difference are not the 'average joe' anyway? What I mean by this is that only a small percentage of consumers are likely to adopt a new technology, irrelevant of the actual leap in quality. The 90% are only concerned that they receive the programme that they want to watch, not how they watch it. Widescreen television was an excellent example of this.

4. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

@ Bigz, I get your point but i would still argue that most people using dual core or 64 bit chips are using WindowsXP which does not make the most of them. Until Vista comes along or you switch OS the 64 bits extensions etc are pretty redundant. Also i said decent sized HD screen not decent quality and i was thinking £500 not £400. :blush: Not used to looking at the prices of high end cards. Anyways 20" Toshiba HD LCD TV with decent contrast ratio for an LCD and 10ms response time. £412

Broadcast content will be available in a matter of weeks, with Blu-Ray and HD-DVD set to follow later in the year. The xbox360 is here and the PS3 will soon follow. At the moment however i can play HD on a standard xbox with an HD kit, i belive you can play the latest Gran Turismo at 720p on a PSTwo. I could view dvds in HD resoloution using an upscaling dvd player or cinema amp or i could get an external scaler and watch everything at HD resoloutions. There is a valid argument for an HD screen if you look beyond mearly plugging in a TV aerial and expecting something miraculous to happen.

I find it very odd that a PC enthusiast community is so quick to rubbish early adopters to HD when this forum is filled with people who will snap up the latest bit of expensive PC hardware and proudly put pictures of it up for everyone to see.

@ specofdust. A lot of console gamers have more than one console and dont forget console games are considerably more expensive than PC games. Also its a bit insulting to say the only hardcore gamers are PC gamers.

@ rupbert. i agree but during the festive period the electrical retailers where full of people buying HD screens all of which where showing HD content. I wonder how many of them take it home and plug it in and womder why it does not look as good as it did in the shop.

Last edited: 9 Jan 2006
  5. rupbert

rupbert New Member

Are they buying it purely because they want to watch HDTV though?

I would suggest that they were merely going to purchase a lcd/plasma, and were lead down the path of HDTV by the salesperson. Logically anyone would spend a few £ more on a TV that was more 'future proof' than the one beside it, even if the technicalities wern't immediately apparent.

6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

1st: This again is a text written exactly how I feel about this. There is no need to go HDTV if you have SDTV at home. As I mentioned here it looks awesome! And I did play on a normal 19" PC monitor.

2nd:
    Copy. :rock:

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

Thanks for the link, but 20"? It'd look rather small and useless in the corner of my living room! ;)

I'm not rubbishing early adopters - hell, I'm one of those too. It just seems like there's little point in spending money on something with virtually no appreciable benefit at the moment. I know there are things that can look much better on an HDTV now, but a TV isn't something you buy every year. I play virtually all of my games on the PC - the only exceptions are MicroMachines on the Mega Drive and GT4 on the PS2. I upgrade my PC so I can play the games I want to play.

I'll upgrade my TV when I can't watch the programs I want to watch anymore, or when there is significant improvements in the availability of true High Definition content (not upscaled content), either in the form of Blu-Ray, HD DVD or television broadcasts.

I can't explain why, but I don't see a TV in quite the same way as a computer. I must admit that my latest TV set is a good deal better than the last TV I had - the colours are much better, the sound is much better and the picture is much better too. However, the benefits of me buying a new TV right now are minimal.

A lot of early adopters buy hardware the day it comes out. In that respect, I'd consider myself a different type of early adopter - I buy the hardware when the content is there for me to use that purchase. Of course, I'm in a bit of a different boat because I get a lot of computer parts for nothing - if I wasn't getting that kit, I'd still be the same - my purchases would be determined by the content. That's the way I've always been, really speaking.

8. rupbert

rupbert New Member

Upgrading your pc however is different. You are merely increasing the performance, enjoyability of an existing medium.

HDTV in my opinion is not a simple 'upgrade', it's the biggest thing to happen since colour was introduced, it will change how we view television.

Personally I think the launch of Sky HD will be a huge success, not the niche 'enthusiast beta' that some people seem to suggest.

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

I hope it is, I was an early DVB-T adopter and I'll have to see what's happening when it comes around. I'm not going to splash money on a TV that's any smaller than my current 42" rear projection, though.

10. rupbert

rupbert New Member

The exact point.

No matter how good a new technology is, the consumer has the choice to adopt it or not.

11. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

It would be a nice bedroom TV though and does demonstrate nicely that HD doesn't have to be expensive. You can get bigger but its not brands i would go for. You can get big name 32" HD LCD's for under £1000 now which is alsmost a 50% price drop in 12 months.

You shouldn't be so quick to dismiss upscaled content. If you have a large screen TV it makes a HUGE difference to low quality broad casts, i.e. Sky and its low bitrate channels.

12. whisperwolf

whisperwolf New Member

Now I can see why someone with a large screen(32" plus) in rear projection and even CRT would not need to upgrade. However as CRT tv's last for ages as stated in the column, there are now lots of people with small screen non widescreen tvs that are looking to upgrade, these are the people who have had there tvs for 6ish years and are looking for something new. The big advantage I can see to LCD screens and plasma for myself is that a 32" plus screen is still very thin and does not dominate my quite small lounge. I saw a wounderful 42" Rear projection at the weekend but a) I would be unable to get it up the stairs of my flat and B) unable to get to the couch without crawling on the floor. now its the wounderful space saveiness that appeals to me for a LCD TV. and if I am going to buy an LCD tv I belive I am better of spending the extra £100 quid and getting HDTV for 2 reasons a)I then don't have to upgrade my TV for quite some time, and 2 the HDTV ready screens tend to be the newer LCD panels (last 6to 12 months)with a quicker reponse time. now I'm looking at spending less than a grand for my screen so I think it will be quite some time till a HDR screen hits my price bracket and I want a Widescreen tv now.

Last edited: 10 Jan 2006
  13. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

I actually recently acquired:

a 27" 4:3 CRT HDTV. Yes, that's right. 4:3 and CRT. Why, you may ask? Because CRTs last for bloody ever, they've got better color than LCDs currently (aside from the Brightside ones), and they're not going to die in a short time for a huge price tag like plasmas. 4:3 because REGULAR TV IS NOT SHOT IN WIDESCREEN. :) As much as I do love the look of widescreen, it's kind of silly when 90% of what you watch is distributed in 4:3 format and not 16:9. And I wouldn't have even wanted it if it weren't that my 10 year old (yes, 10 years) 27" TV was finally showing the purple blotches of death.

As Chris said, if you're going to buy this year because you actually need to, it would be silly NOT to buy HDTV. But if you have a perfectly nice SDTV sitting at home, running out and buying a new HDTV for content that won't appear for another couple years is just foolish.

14. glnsize

glnsize New Member

That’s why I bought mine... ABC, NBC, & CBS all offer there prime time shows in HD w/ 5.1! Is it worth the money I spent on it?

NO... But it is unreal to watch some stuff in HD! Especially sports American Football, Baseball, and Basketball. It truly is like being at the game sometimes!

15. timmehtimmeh

timmehtimmeh Member

The only thing that annoys me about all this HD content is that most of it is only going to be 720p or 1080i.

When you think that over here in the UK, our DVD content is already 576p, going from 576 pixels to 720 is such a small leap. Slightly better in the US only having 480 pixels to use, but still, the leap should be all the way.

The change should have been better thought out and put off for another few years, 1080p all around the board. 1080p content from both broadcasting companies and from what media you could buy and 1920x1080 TV's.

I cant see how a blueray or HD-DVD is going to be that much better than a well-encoded 8Mbit/s DVD in the UK. The only improvements I can imagine are being able to stick on a load more content without having to over-compress the video (which they allready do, perhaps to make DVD look worse to make us all be overwhelmed by these next gen formats)

Anyway, hopefully this will be better than our over-compressed blocky Sky broadcasts (don't get me started on our DVB-T broadcasts, errgh!). :)

16. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Have you ever actually seen the difference between SDTV and HDTV? Like one TV devided in the middle, left SD right HD? Doesn't seem you have as there definitly is a huge difference between PAL and HDTV. 576 to 720 makes a difference imo.
    Take a look what a short google visit brought up:
    http://www.hdtvtotal.com/gallery-displayimagepopup-pid-2205-fullsize-1.html
    http://www.hdtvtotal.com/gallery-displayimagepopup-pid-2202-fullsize-1.html
    http://www.hdtvtotal.com/gallery-displayimagepopup-pid-2203-fullsize-1.html
    http://www.hdtvtotal.com/gallery-displayimagepopup-pid-2206-fullsize-1.html
    And no, I don't know where these picture have been taken from. :)

17. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

I indeed agree with the review working in a large catalogue showroom seeing people come in daily telling me its the way forward, and not agreeing was a strange concept for me especially as I consider myself to be very much at the forefront of technology. (Maybe not compared to some people out there)
    Maybe I'd think differently if I had one, I dunno! But since I own a 360 and from what I've seen there isn't actually alot of difference, also owning a pc where everything looks far better than promised by MS!

[/QUOTE]much in the same way that Apple assume all the people of the world are frappuccino drinking marketing suckups who don't actually have to pay the bills inside their minimalist white walled glass-ceilinged mansion and make a million pounds a year from blogging to pay for all their shiny hardware[/QUOTE]

Haha at the quote loving it!

Tags: Add Tags