1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation 3 No Playstation 3 Info At CES Says Sony

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by xenos360, 3 Jan 2006.

1. xenos360

xenos360 Banned

http://www.gamersreports.com/news/794/

this isnt good news. how are they going to be ready by the "spring" launch if they dont even have anything to present at the show? i know they dont have to do anything to build hype but this is a little bit unsettling for something that is supposed to launch a few months from now. i know that since the first launch will more then likely be in japan but what effects one launch may effect the future launches of the system. well either way some info to pass along to anyone looking forward to any new news.

2. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

Uhhh, didnt Sony reserve the largest floorspace at CES this year? What do you expect them to put out on show? A bunch of playstation 2 games, or maybe some PSP games? You think there actually going to fill that entire floor space with crap like that? :hehe:

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

4. xenos360

xenos360 Banned

hey im not going to debate are argue any point because it makes no difference to me. i would be concerned as a person waiting for a ps3 though. i thought it was bad for sony not to show anything at the TGS in near playable form, that is like microsoft not having anything to show at last years E3 with launch being 6 months away. but this is much more horrible if true, not only does the company not have anything to play but even worse not even anything to show for a system that is supposed to launch in mere months. please DS dont tell me that you are one of "those" people who actually believe that sony will launch the ps3 here in the states in the spring time? if you say yes then thats cool too, i needed a good laugh. however for a company with such bold claims about its competitors, i would expect them to have their act together better then this. again, could care less, effects me in no way but just wanted to pass the news on the sony fans here. because if your expecting to hear anything groundbreaking, i wouldnt hold my breath.

5. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Considering that the launch is only two and half months away, seems a little suspect that there's been virtually nothing concrete for people to play with - a bunch of nice looking tech demos and live demonstrations is all I'm aware as been offered so far. With only two months or so left, I'd be expecting hands-on impressions of launch games and gameplay trailers by now tbh.

Either that or Sony are planning a massive PR coup that's gonna knock all our socks off... sorry, I forget it's Sony.

6. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

Don't be an stupid, Sony make more than just the Playstation and CES isn't a game trade show.

So pull your head out of your arse :rolleyes:

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

8. xenos360

xenos360 Banned

when you think about it sony is getting their hand forced by the competition so its no surprised that they may get caught with their pants down. microsoft has launched on their promised date and nintendo has already confirmed many things from them doing a worldwide launch to the price of the console being under $300 and launching sometime this year. a sony CEO (dont remember who) even stated that if the 360 wasnt a success then they would wait till 2007 before launching, but he quickly asserted that he knows that the 360 would be a success so his original comment was kind of a mute point. still it all hints to what kind of situation sony is in. the cell chip itself has already been delayed a number of times and developers were supposed to get final dev kits last month but there has been no word on any devs recieving them. regardless of them launching in the spring or delaying it even further they are still going to have hardware issues at launch like any other company and in the end it will come down to the games. which brings me up to another point, other then warhawk and lair no other games have even been hinted at launch. it was speculated that UT2k7 would be out for launch but epic has already denied those rumors saying that the PC version will be out first.

in all honesty i want this system to come out already. once all 3 of the next gen systems are out there will be less last gen games being spruced up for our consoles.

9. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

i still think that this machine will be extreamly substandard to what it was said originally told by $ony...i can only see two logical choices in the market this generation...the xbox for the more mainstream market and the revoloution for the retro/fanboy/gameply only segment.

the sony really dosent have much good going for it...as the xbox covers many of its core sapects allready and has the xbox live to backup its allready 1.8million sold in 3months or so numbers....

$ony has its work cut out for them but im sure some hardcore fans and kiddie will want this...but the logical choice is the other two consoles,as for me im gonna give this console a wide birth.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The machine, on release will be sub standard, but a few revisions in when more games hit, especially from Japanese origin then you'll see the PS3 for what it really is. It doesnt matter how late you get the dev kits, how buggy it appears to be or how bad the dev software is, the Japs will work their teams almost to the grave to get games out. That's just how they are. And as Sony has a mahoosive fanbase in Japan, they WILL still sell.

11. xenos360

xenos360 Banned

yeah i agree with you guys, sony does have the biggest battle yet but they will still come out on top no doubt. the gap between systems sold wont make much difference though as i believe the systems install base will be much closer then the last generation.

as for the games being subpar i believe that the launch titles for the ps3 will be superior to the 360 first gen games for a few reasons: for one the most obvious is that there will be less "last-gen" ports to the ps3 as we will be further along into the next generation and the biggest reason will be the stages of the development kits. the ps3 is such a unique architecture that you cant develop on anything other then a Nvidia card and a Cell CPU, the dev kits released so far have a 2.7 ghz Cell and a 7800 Gforce representing around 80% of the systems total power (devs were supposed to get finished dev kits last month but no reports have come in). the 360 however used very early altered macs with duel core G5's and a old radeon GPU making up around 25% of the systems total power (alpha kits), the beta kits were more updated using a triple core G5 and a R520 core GPU totalling around 60% of the system's true power with final dev kits being released late august a month and a half before launch. my point is that all launch titles (even most 1st gen titles) started their base development on very weak hardware holding back the true potential of the titles, even with the finished dev kits it would require a total rewrite of the code to really take advantage of the custom hardware in the 360. so in short sony was better with giving developers dev kits closer to the systems actual potential then microsoft was, although microsoft did hand dev kits far in advance to their system's launch. another aspect to remember is that a lot of games still use resources and engines built from the last generation, so until next gen engines (Unreal 3, Wardevil, etc.) we wont really see what these systems can do.

hmmm it seems as though the reports were true, sony had nothing much to say about the ps3, i feel for you playstation fans. now you have to wait till next month to get any new news or videos of the ps3 and its games. hopefully then they wont back down again.

Last edited: 5 Jan 2006
  12. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Minor revival.

No info huh? That sucks. No wonder I couldn't find anything on the 'ol internets. I pray sometime soon Sony will have something. I am awaiting the PS3 (grabs flame shield) and I am wanting new info. IMHO, it almost seems like Sony is purposely holding back info, to further stir the masses. While I am awaiting the PS3, I am far from obsesed with it. I have my consoles and PC to keep me occupied until then. It's almost like the opposite of what Microsoft did with the 360. They were blatantly throwing around numbers and such, while Sony hasn't said a peep.

Maybe soon, maybe soon...

(off-topic)
    BTW, for everyone, its DUAL no duel.

Duel-Mostly used to describe a contest between two forces.
    Dual-Containing more then one.

Sorry I have a knack for English and I am a huge Grammar Nazi. No offense to anyone, but it just really bugs the hell out of me is all :)
    (/off-topic)

Last edited: 22 Jan 2006
  13. xenos360

xenos360 Banned

next month sony is holding a conference entirely based around the ps3, im sure you will get plenty of answers and info then :thumb: