1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other No Power after torture tests - ideas ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dave Lister, 2 Nov 2012.

1. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Hey everyone I was trying to find out how much power my PC uses while under load. I had furmark and the intel burn in test both running together. The power got up to 450watts and the computer went dead.

I've tried turning it off with its battery removed for a couple hours but it still won't boot.

The power supply is rated at 650w and nothing is overclocked, a green power led still lights up on the motherboard. But that is the only sign of electricity I can see in there.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any idea what the problem is ?

2. ShinyAli

ShinyAli What's a Dremel?

Is the psu a good brand many cheap psu's have ratings that mean very little especially under high loads and it could be the 12v rail damaged, have you got another psu you could try?

I assume the fans are not working either?

Last edited: 5 Nov 2012
  3. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Hi ShinyAli thanks for the reply, the PSU is just a cheap thing i've been using, been waiting 9 months for a refund for a duff antec I bought last year !

So anyway I don't have a spare just now, if you think there is a good chance of it being the PSU I could always take it to my local PC shoppe and ask them to try a different PSU if you think its worth it ?

4. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I agree with ShinyAli on the PSU, especially with you saying its a cheap thing. Definately try another power supply or disconnect it from everything inside the PC, plug it into the mains and short out the green wire to a black wire on the 20/24 pin plug as detailed here. If it fires up and you have a multimeter, check the voltages are correct.

Dave Lister likes this.
  5. ShinyAli

ShinyAli What's a Dremel?

Hi, If there is nothing obvious and all the connections are OK then it's a process of elimination and the psu is the cheaper/easier option to start with than the mobo, the fact that this happened when your were load testing and drawing 450W might have killed the psu if it was drawing 450W continuously.

Dave Lister likes this.
  6. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Thanks guys, I don't have a multimeter unfortunately. But i'll whip it out in the morning and see if I can short the black to the green and plug in a fan or something. Either that or take the whole lot to my local PC place and get them to try a new PSU.

7. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Yea I reckon like most cheap generic PSU they over rate them, Should never trust your rig to a unbranded PSU

8. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Yeah it was only ever meant to be a spare but Sapient Computers on Amazon have basically robbed me.

P.S. amazing overclock on your system teelzebub (just saw your sig)

Teelzebub likes this.
  9. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Yea don't want to bottleneck all those GTX480's lol

10. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Sounds like dead PSU to me. Used to pop unbranded 900W units at work with a 2500K and a GTX 460 with some hard enough stress tests. Sure they can give you 900W as a burst, but most can't do more than 3-400W continuously

Dave Lister likes this.
  11. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

@ Teelzebub, I didn't even notice you had such an awesome SLI setup ! half of Inverness must go dark when you fire up your PC !

@ Madness_3d, Thanks for telling me that, I'd never heard of that happening before and even after a google search I couldn't find anything.

12. rollo

rollo Modder

Google

Cheap psu reviews, toms hardware brought 6 cheap ones none of them give the power they asked for and 2 of them blew up.

13. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Just read the toms hardware reviews Rollo, interesting stuff ! My cheap one is made by Evo Labs and was only about €35 a couple years ago.

Anyway I've taken it out of my system but still need to test it. Been too busy this weekend to get much done.

14. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

You could always get a basic psu tester,should tell you if the psu is dead or not.

At Amazon

Dave Lister likes this.
  15. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Running a stress test on a hex core cpu and a 5870 on a pony power supply was always going to end badly.

16. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

17. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

That's really decent but I don't think scan will post out to me in France. + I'm still waiting for either a refund or replacement from amazon for my duff antec high current pro, not sure if I should by a new PSU just yet.

The PSU testers a pretty good idea since I seem to get through them these days ! But really need to watch my money just now because I just agreed to buy a car.