1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V No Sound. Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ek-hat, 18 Jan 2006.

1. ek-hat

ek-hat What's a Dremel?

Windows XP Professional SP2
    AMD Sempron 2800+ socket 754
    ASUS K8U-X motherboard, with 6-channel audio and AC'97 codec with Line-Out port
    512Mb PC3200 Kingston RAM
    nVidia 64Mb MX440 SE graphics card (AGP 4X), with VGA connection
    30Gb 7200RPM HDD, with IDE connection
    32X CD-ReWriter
    54Mbps 802.11G Wi-Fi expansion card
    350W PSU

There is no sound coming through my speakers.
    I'm using onboard sound; after installing the drivers for the sound device, it gets recognized by Windows correctly from the looks of it, but there's no sound coming through.
    I've tried installing the drivers for the device from both straight off of the CD and using the Windows Add Hardware utility.
    I've reformatted several times and the problem still occurs.
    I've tried different speakers, from 2.1 surround sound to headphones
    I've checked to see if AC'97 is enabled , which is the audio codec of my chipset - and it is enabled.
    I've unmuted absolute everything and I've put everything to maximum volume and there's still no sound coming from any application.
    I thought it might be the drivers that I have and tried downloading them off of the website... still no success.
    I've tried out the sound, before and after installing any updates.
    I've flashed the BIOS.
    I've even cleared my CMOS and reformatted the hard drive and everything and still no success.
    After trying out every possible thing, I'm beginning to think that although the device is being recognized by Windows correctly, that it could still be my motherboard being faulty in some way. Oh and yes the speakers are connected through the Line-out port.

Any ideas guys? Please help :rolleyes:.

2. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

tried the green speaker port (assuming its green as that tends to be standard on most mobos)

what source are you playing form, cd or hdd...if its the first, make sure digital music extraction or whatever its called is ticked under hardware properties...

3. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Check the jumpers on the motherboard, with most on-board they control it to some extent.

Get the manual for your mobo and see how they're meant to be set up.

(Ric says hello :) )

4. ek-hat

ek-hat What's a Dremel?

Yeah the port is green port, felix' and I've tried it from both the cd drive and HDD. Where might I find "Hardware Properties"? Also, the 4-pin auxillary connector from the CD drive is not connected to the Aux audio pin on the motherboard, although this does not answer why my sound from sources off of the hard drive isn't working? Or does it?
    And ElThomsono, I don't believe there are jumper required configuration for my audio, as it doesn't mention anything about it on my motherboard booklet.