1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks No way to find out a proper driver for my ethernet card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kim, 8 May 2022.

1. kim

kim hardware addict

The thing is, I realised this morning that one of my PC was downloading slower than other ones...:eyebrow:

The guilty motherboard is my Gigabyte B550I aorus pro AX
    Windows version is a W10 pro edition 2019

In fact, I usually use only one of my PC for all my downloads, and the concerned one is mostly used for gaming, but I ran a download with it this morning, and I noticed that my downloading speed was much slower than with my other PC...:geek:
    Precisely, I got a 8 megabits/s package and with my better network card I donwload at 7.8/9 Mb/s, but with this one it doesn't overcome 2Mb/s...
    Of course, first thing i've done was to open my device manager and I immediatly saw the yellow exclamation mark under my network device...odd, because I'v installed all Gigabyte drivers during first install...but well, I found those 4 ones on the support page:

[​IMG]

I took the last version from 2022 and ran it, but after a few seconds it just stopped during the process without displaying any messages :oldconfused:
    Same result for the 2 following ones, and the last one seemed to be the one I took for first install, it asked me to remove or repair the driver, I choosed "repair" out of spite...but the yellow mark is still here...I also tried online driver detection without better results...
    It's not such a big deal as I'v got other PCs but it annoys me somehow, and I don't like to let PC issues unsolved without trying my best and at least ask for a helping hand here :grin:

Last edited: 29 May 2022
  2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

kim likes this.
  3. kim

kim hardware addict

Thank you very much, that was the way and definitely worth a stab :grin:, I imediatly found the proper driver and the yellow mark is gone, yet, the download speed is still the same, however, the computer I use for my downloads has got the same realtek PCIe 2.5Gbe familly controller :hehe: and the speed is x4 :rollingeyes:
    The explanation must be somewhere else finally :wallbash:

4. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

What speed does it show when copying a large file from this PC to another PC on your network? What speed in network properties is the network port saying it's connected at?
    Have you tried swapping network cables round, i.e. known good cable. Also swapping the port the cable is plugged into on the switch/router.
    With the network cable plugged in, is it automatically disabling the built in wifi?
    If you run ipconfig /all from cmd on the two PC's, are they showing the same gateway ip and dns?
    Maybe try ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew, ipconfig /flushdns.
    Perhaps a netsh winsock reset from a cmd prompt, maybe even a netsh int ip reset.
    Test the physical aspects first to rule out a bad cable/port before using the reset commands.

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

6. kim

kim hardware addict

Thank you for your tip Redflames, it was the right place to find the driver, unfortunately, even with the proper driver, I still don't enjoy the benefits of my full brandwith...but I am afraid it is a much more complicated problem...:eyebrow:

7. kim

kim hardware addict

First of all, thank you for spending time on my issue, I was glad to read your reply but I've been so busy lately, I couldn't spare time to get back on it...
    It looks like you know a big deal about networks, and I admit that I don't, but I wish to extend my knowledge about it, because it is really frustrating to pay for something and to get only a quarter of it...:sad:
    So
    I realise that this thread about a network card's driver issue, leads us to the roots of my deep concern:
    Get back to my previous downloading speed :grin:
    But :worried: ... when I read your reply, I realise that I lack of knowledge to answer you accurately, but I will do my best to explain everything thoroughly, ready to read and learn until I can figure it out and solve it.

The worst thing happened to me this week-end, meaning; the last of my computers that was able to download at full speed...for an unknown reason, became limited itself to the same 2Mb/s :sigh::oldconfused::miffed::wallbash:

I realise that when described like this, by a layman, it doesn't mean anything to an expert who's willing to help, so I will digest it and run the commands you mentionned, and post the results after that; but let me describe you first of all, the physical layout :

-Internet is provided by a box (Livebox as it is called here), and the box is linked directly to the first phone plug of the house.
    -There is a 10 meter internet cable (cat6) running from the box to an inverter then to a 3Com baseline switch 2220+ (24 ports)
    -All my PC are linked to this switch with internet cables cat6
    -The wifi is not activated at all, it is too weak here and I prefer wired network for several reasons.
    -I don't run the "network discovery" when I plug a new PC on my home network, so all my PCs are not linked to each other's, it is less complicated for me and I don't need to send any datas from a computer to another one.
    When I speak of download speed it means to me: downloading files from my hosting provider via the internet, and not from a PC to another.
    Let's get back to your reply
    I ran the "ipconfig" commands you mentioned on the one that was downloading full speed before and stopped this week-end:
    [​IMG]
    On my second one, I ran the same commands, but unfortunately this PC is in French language, though, it is understandable I think...:worried:
    [​IMG]
    After that it doesn't changed anything, but i will not give up, sadly, I got to go to work but I will be back on it tomorow...:grr:
    thanks for all those who help and have a nice day

8. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Try a file copy from 1 PC to another, this should get a decent speed.
    If PC to PC is fine, try changing the cable from the router to switch.
    Or try connecting the PC straight to the livebox (as that switch is old).

I suspect the issue is actually the Livebox, they're terrible, I sufferred everytime I was in Doullens because of it (well, a combination of being in Doullens and the Livebox being merde) until I swapped it out.

kim likes this.
  9. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

How about running the following command from a cmd prompt:

wmic nic where netEnabled=true get name, speed

This should output your current negotiated network speed, what do you see?

Alternatively, the following command can be run in Powershell to output a similar result:

Get-NetAdapter | select interfaceDescription, name, status, linkSpeed

As saspro above says, test to see if PC to PC transfers are fine, the switch should be ok but it's a good test to see where the problem might be. Have you got a spare four or eight port switch you could test with if PC to PC speeds are slow too? It seems odd that one PC was able to download at full speed and another one was affected some time ago, what with the router connected by one cable to the switch. I wonder if the switch config needs looking at. Can you log into the switch and see?

kim likes this.
  10. kim

kim hardware addict

Hello guys, thanks a lot for your help :thumb:
    Saspro, well, I first suspected the Box to be willingly limited by my internet provider (orange), as it is what they usually do in small villages like mine, where most of users are aged persons using only internet for webbrowsing... I had to fight with them numerous times in the past, and force them to remove the Digital Line Managment witch is a PITA :winking: and to unlock the connexion, but this time I am sure it's not them, because I have a friend working for them who have access to my contract and details, and he confirmed that my brandwith was around 8Mb/s, a speed that I could effectively witness during file downloads from my file provider, but now doesn't overcome 2Mb/s :sigh:

[​IMG]
    Kenko, here is the result of the commands you proposed me to run;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Now I will have to try what both of you mentioned, checking PC to PC transfert speed, but like I said, the Network discovery wasn't enabled on my home network, as weird as it sounds, so i will have to reconfigure it this week end and try it, though I can swear that only 10 days ago, I could download a file from my provider, seeing a speed of 7.9 Mb/s :eyebrow:
    I won't give up
    to be continued

Arboreal likes this.
  11. kim

kim hardware addict

:grin: Thanks for your visit Arboreal ... it feels good to be supported, and by the way, thank you so much to all the members who are so kindly spending time to solve our numeric hassles again and again, I am so thankful and so proud to have your attention and support :rock::rock::rock:praise be Bittech, hope it never dies :worried:

12. kim

kim hardware addict

:clap::clap::clap: :rock::rock::rock::grin::grin::grin:
    I don't understand why, is it the magic of a few command lines I don't know :hehe:, seriously, I don't get it but
    I've got my full speed again, even more than before, see :

[​IMG]

I did nothing more than running those commands and it is obvious that it's nothing but informations queries, but it turns out that it actually went back to 8Mb/s and more in download speed :naughty:
    Unless it was the previous Ip config release and flushdns commands that worked but it works
    Though, it's interesting to notice that I still don't managed to reach the same speed with my gaming rig, even running the same commands...something is to dig out there, it works, but i still have the feeling to ignore why, and I do :happy: :hehe: :lol:

kenco_uk and Arboreal like this.