1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Noctua NH-D15 G2 - £130!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LennyRhys, 9 Jul 2024.

1. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Hey folks,
    I've been a bit out of the loop when it comes to cooling tech, but I see that Noctua has just released their updated version of the NH-D15, priced at $150. It's currently available from Amazon for just under £130.

[​IMG]

Any thoughts on the crazy price tag? It's more than 4x the price of the very popular Thermalright Peerless Assassin, and you could probably get a decent AIO for similar money.

2. wyx087

wyx087 Multimodder

Noctua is one of those gold plating engineering. Their product are brilliantly engineered, but waaaaay too expensive. They are known to provide good lasting support. If you see it as an investment that lasts 10 years, then it would make some sense.

I'm still very happy with my D14, with a second hand almost-new D15 140mm fan for PWM control.

If needing CPU cooler today, I wouldn't hesitate with a second hand Noctua or a new Thermalright. (Remember the Thermalright Ultra Extreme? Overclocking Q6600 with TRUE)

LennyRhys and Bloody_Pete like this.
  3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

That's the target market I think now. The Serverstation type builds where you install, set and forget about it for the machine's entire life, confident it'll be fine the entire time. Sure an AIO will perform better and/or be cheaper, but it'll likely also need replacing at least once in that same timeframe.

LennyRhys, wyx087 and Bloody_Pete like this.
  4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

The NH-D14 was £75 15 years ago, which is £116 now. So yup, Noctua coolers continue to be gallingly expensive. But then my NH-D14 continues to run silently and flawlessly every damn day on it's original fans.

I suspect if I'd bought a cheaper Scythe or Thermalright at the time it would have needed replacing... and probably still worked out cheaper than the Noctua. But I regret nothing, they're definitely an "I want the best," kind of brand rather than "I want the most efficient cost/performance ratio," like most other air coolers.

LennyRhys and wyx087 like this.
  5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

The price is bat-shinola crazy, the fact it has taken them 10 years to make the fans ever so slight slightly better and less prone to having an annoying frequency offset (excellent video on that here), but there's really not a lot of room for improvement, change or anything really. You gotta pay for that 10years of r&d if you want to see it in action.

LennyRhys likes this.