1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Noise: Air and Watercooling

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by O O 7, 8 Feb 2009.

1. O O 7

O O 7 What's a Dremel?

redders be my guest dude! 3 fans in 1 channel... that's good. I suppose you can do this with a regular resistance/voltage controller as well?

For me it's really coming down to noise.

The noctua HS and fan would do a good job at cooling the CPU - and do it with little noise too. If I go for the i7, I will probably be able to get that CPU to ~4Ghz without a prob. So I can't really see what WC will do for me that air won't.

But the only issue left is the noise from the 4870x2.

Is there a way to deal with it on air? Are there some better HS+fans for this gfx?

Ninja Edit: Can I control the fan speed on the gfx?

Last edited: 9 Feb 2009
  2. mooseguy

mooseguy Crazy Moose

You can indeed control the fan speeds. However, it will get very hot afaik, so you probably don't want to. 4GHz on the Noctua HSF seems reasonable. Noise wise, I think that three Noctua fans on a 120.3 radiator will be the quietest bet - the HSF comes with two if I remember rightly, and the 4870X2 will make much more noise than one more Noctua fan.

3. O O 7

O O 7 What's a Dremel?

It's a painful choice to make isn't it?

£300 worth of WC stuff just to shut the 4870x2 up!

Might as well put on headphones while gaming

4. opal

opal Eh?

Imagine a leaf blower. Thats how noisy the 4870X2 is on 75% fan speed, and you will most likely have to crank up the fanspeed as it does get very hot with fans at 25% (stock).

I run a 360 rad with 6 fans in push/pull and it is audible when all the fans are on max but if I turn it down the noise drops alot. Im using xilence red wings which Im pretty happy with.

Not sure of the best way of connecting fans but I daisy chained 3 fans together into one, and I am a retard at soldering! Was relatively easy.

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Nope... air cooled at the moment. My last rig was a triple rad job though, with GPU in the loop. I used Papst fans which aren't the quietest, but far from the loudest either.

It was a FX60 at 3.2GHz, and a heavily OCed 7800GTX. Temps were 3 degrees above ambient at idle, and never saw over 40 degrees while stressing.

6. O O 7

O O 7 What's a Dremel?

That's the first time I see someone who had a WC rig go back to air!

May I ask why please?

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

It's not always the best option, really. Often it's very good, but it isn't a cheap solution by any means.

That, and Pook just bought a complete new rig really, so the loop had to be removed/altered anyway.

8. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit No longer the other Brett.

I'm another that went from water to air, simply because I stopped overclocking.
    However, I found that with water it's not as silent as a lot believe, you still have to shift air to cool, albeit through a rad rather than heatsink, undervolting the 120's does cut the noise down drastically though.

9. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

I've gone back and forth from Air to Water many times. Water used to be significantly better but with heatpipes and enormous air coolers many times aircooling does more than an adequate job. Also passive air will always be quieter than water (with 1 or 2 exceptions). Watercooling is fun if you like tinkering with it and playing around. It can get annoying if you swap out components a lot.

10. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Simply because I got fed up with the huge case I had, and when I rebuilt, would mean updating all the watercooling parts. As I was rushed into building this due to my other rig dying, I didn't have the time to do another WC build. I may well water cool it at a later stage... not sure yet. As others have said though, water-cooling isn't this uber silent option people think it is either. You still have fans, and you also have a pump in there. While not noisy if built correctly, a beefy WC system can be as noisy as a air cooled system.

I've not gone back to air due to not liking water cooling... I just had to build it fast because I had no other option.