1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Noisy Power supply

Discussion in 'Modding' started by alden, 25 Nov 2003.

1. alden

alden What's a Dremel?

I just bought a 300watt micro atx and this thing sounds like a jet engine. Is there anything i can do to quite it down?

2. buzzby

buzzby What's a Dremel?

I have never altered a PSU before so feel free to tell me to go away.

This might seems a stupid question but is there an ajuster to control the fan speed, some new PSU's have this. Also you could take the PSU outer caseing off and build it a nw one with a bigger/quiter fan. Also if you make the new case out of plexi it would reduce the temps, i think because plexi doesn't conduct heat very fell.

Or just try and change the fan.

Hope this helps

Buzz

3. alden

alden What's a Dremel?

I just changed out the fan in it and the thing is just as loud!!!! its so loud!!!!!!

Is there anyway to adjust the voltage on it or something or possibly control the fan speed somehow?

4. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

Use a quiter fan...

...or run the fan at 7 volts by connecting it between the 5v and 12v lines.

:)

5. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

Or add a rheostat inline to the fan.

Is it loud because of the "vents" in the fan housing causing a lot of turbulence? Or is the PSU vibrating a little? Or just the fans are that loud? As others have said, a quieter fan should help...keep in mind that quieter usually means less powerful too, unless you move up to a bigger fan, ie from a 80mm to 120mm.

6. alden

alden What's a Dremel?

its not vibrating at all it just sounds like a really huge fan. I have tried another fan but had the same results. I think its getting to much power to it or something. Coudlnt i put it on a fanbus?

7. alden

alden What's a Dremel?

ok i put a 100ohm resistor in series with the psu fan and slow that thing down it still has good air flow but is alot quieter. Should this be ok?