1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nokia ditches Symbian for Windows Phone 7

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 11 Feb 2011.

1. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

Symbian was great in it's day, just didn't keep up. It was perfect software for non touch screen phones back when the N95 came out (a phone that I loved, hence why I thought the move to the N97 was a no brainier... last time I commit myself to expensive hardware without doing thorough research first!).

But as I said before, it's not so much the mistakes Nokia made that upset me, it was how unwilling they were to really address them. There are multiple threads in the Nokia forums making very sensible, not overly hard to implement suggestions on how the N97 experience could have been improved and non ever came about (with no futher firmware updates planned since the one over a year ago). With some tweaking I have gotten it to preform much better, and I also now know what to avoid doing that will crash it so much ect ect, but it's not really acceptable from such an expensive phone that was their flag ship at the time.

Anyway, I still regard the above as good news as it will keep pushing the bar up for the other companies and platforms that I'll be moving onto after my contract is up at the end of this year :)

2. storm_temple

storm_temple What's a Dremel?

Where is the like button?

3. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Where's the "You're talking through your backside" Button?

4. mad_iguana

mad_iguana What's a Dremel?

A few factual errors in the article that are almost entirely down to incorrect reporting from CNet.
    Firstly, Nokia is stll the market leader in mobile phones worldwide (in terms of number of phones sold, if not in mindshare / innovation etc.).
    It is even still selling more smartphones than any other manufacturer.
    As for the Canalys analysis, that has been debunked and although it is still widely quoted, it has been accepted by most mobile phone industry analysts that their analysis was incorrect (see here http://communities-dominate.blogs.c...is-not-yet-ahead-of-symbian-but-will-be-.html).
    And finally, Bing maps will NOT be put onto Nokia devices - it was quite apparent in the presentations yesterday that the maps on mobile devices will be driven by the OVI maps engine / software. They are both supplied by Navteq, which is owned by Nokia, so fundamentally the difference is minor, but it's nice to get these things right.

5. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Not bothered to overclock it? I've got mine at 800Mhz and it just seems so much more fluid in it's use. The battery doesn't seem to suffer too much; I charge it every night anyway.

I have to admit, Maemo is probably not the most intuitive OS i've ever used, but it does have the most scope for customisation. Once you get your head around it, it is amazing.

I am hopeful for this combination as i'm acutely aware that the N900 is a one off in Nokia's recent catalogue.

6. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

This is all cool - but what does it have to do with Windows Phone 7 ? I exactly said that because of Windows Phone 7, Nokia will have to use higher end hardware, thus cutting the battery life to the same values you see now at other devices using same hardware. That means 1-3 days max.

7. unknowngamer

unknowngamer here

The Way I see it, nokia and microsoft could gain big sales with one move. xbox sub games. Win mo 7 is integrated with xbox gamer tags. Microsoft gives the devs a discount if any new xbox games have a winmo sub game. For example fable, the sub game could be running one of the shops you own. Linked to xbox live and mates could be really interesting. Selling stuff in the bus ride to work, ordering new stock (and new spells) Given the 360 user base, and target market (disposable income) win 7 mo and nokia could recover market share in no time. Any 360 gamer would look into these new phones as an extension of ther game.
    I expect ms and nokia to have thought if this. If not it's rank incompetence.

Sorry for the wall of text, sent from my phone....

8. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

This is great news as far as Windows Phone is concerned. The devices it's out on at the moment are great and all but they're all pretty much the same, and their respective manufacturers are (understandably) still more committed to Android as a platform. Nokia would have been foolish to try and compete in the latter's marketplace as it's already competitive and crowded enough as it is, but adopting a growing and promising OS should be good for both them and Microsoft.

There is a slight risk in MS getting too cosy with Nokia though and essentially alienating HTC and Samsung from wanting to put any more effort into Windows Phone, but their biggest concern right now should be pushing out regular updates instead of leaving it as long as they have and letting the competition pull ahead in features.

All that said, I can't wait to see devices like this come out and could well be buying a Nokia again for the first time since the 5110.
    [​IMG]

9. dactone

dactone dact-one

i have a symbian phone samsung i8910 amd its bloody rubbish.

10. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

So that leaves iOS and Windows phone 7 right?

Tags: Add Tags