1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Non-Booting Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Supergoal, 11 Nov 2006.

1. Supergoal

Supergoal What's a Dremel?

I have a Rock XCT

P-M 2Ghz
    7800gtx
    1Gb ram...

Basically I'm at my wits end trying to find out why it won't post/boot at all.
    I was using the system when suddenly it crashed and I had to reset the power manually as it wasn't going to resolve itself.

After cutting the power, I went to turn it on only to find that the power light comes on, but no fans, no HDD activity, no screen...

I have switched/removed the RAM, I have re-sat the HDD. I have removed the CMOS battery. I have made sure the battery and PSU all work properly. As I have said, the power is getting through to the laptop, but it won't show/do anything.

The laptop is only 11 months old and still is under warranty, however I can't get it to the company who made it since I live 6000 odd miles away and can't afford to do so

This is my final look to see if I can get it to work, after that I'm throwing the sod out of the window

Help......Please :waah:

2. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Sounds like a system board issue possibly?

3. Supergoal

If that's the case then I'll be throwing it away then.

What parts from a laptop are worth selling on?

What gauls me is the fact that it is/was a pretty nifty laptop that still could hack the latest games...

4. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Will have a word with a lappy engineer for you and see what he says. Could be summit simple. Not hugely "up" on lappy support lol

5. Glider

Glider /dev/null

A lappy with a 7800 installed must still be within warranty ;) So I'd contact your reseller... But if you throw it out, tell me exactly where and when ;)

6. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

He recommended sending it back under warranty for repair mate :)

7. Supergoal

lol...

I know that would be the only real way to fix this god damn laptop...

I live in Japan, the company is in the UK, I have to pay the shipping costs which would be more than 500 GBP there and back. Also this laptop has a crappy reliability record, as this is the 3rd time it has broke in those 11 months!

If I send it, it may come back fine, but with 2 years left of warranty and a dodgy record I bet It'll break again and so would cost me another 500 odd quid to send again...

I'm going to build a desktop with what I would have used to send the laptop instead.

Such a shame to just give up on it, but what's a man to do :waah:

8. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

If your seriously just gonna throw it out, I'll pay to have it shipped over here to the us and i'll give ya some extra cash for it! :rock: :naughty: :hehe:

9. Brooxy

Brooxy Like a boss (but not a boss)

If it's supported by "mobile-support.net", try and avoid sending it back. I've had some dealing with them with my old laptop, and suffice to say the results were less than satisfactory.

Also, i'm not the only disgruntled user of ms.net. My mate has a Quaddra Ti, and he's had to send is laptop back....lots. And to make make matters worse, it's always been the same problem...

10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Is the daddy!

i like to see that now one here cares about ur problem, but are more interested in getting hold of the laptop! lol

dont lose ur nerve over this.

If it was my lappy top, id sit down and look at carefully and slowly, looks at the battery contacts.

Can you remember how and what happened when it crashed, tell us the details. were you playing a game or surfing the net?

if you were surfing the net there is a possibilite that your bios have got infected by a virus. i would say flash the bios, however you cant even boot! lol

iv had an idea, plug the lappy in to the mains supply, then use a multi meter and measure the voltage on a USB port, if you get +5v the board is working ish.

Have the lappy open and check the CPU and the GPU see if theres any burn marks? if ur prepaired to bin it your prepaired to take it apart.

Just sit down and look at it carefully, dont rush it.

tell us how you get on.

11. Rich T

Rich T What's a Dremel?

Just incase your still wondering what to do with this, Im a laptop engineer and to me it sounds like the CPU has died (or needs re-seating) and would probably work if you found a replacement.